PDA

View Full Version : where to fish outside of calgary?

Seks
08-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Heading to Eagle Lake by Strathmore later on but thought I asked what else is within 1-2 hr driving distance from Calgary.

Went to Crawling Valley by Bassano the other day..got some bites but no fish.

AudiPWR
08-29-2013, 09:49 AM
policemans

speedog
08-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Eagle Lake is a no go due to blue algae - link (http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/8829.asp).

Maybe try Twin Valley Resevoir (east of Parkland on highwat 529) or Clear Lake Reservoir (east of Stavely) assuming you're looking for pike. Be aware of the size limits in these two reservoirs as that makes it tougher to take anything home - 1 over 63cm for Twin Lake and 1 over 100cm for Clear Lake.

speedog
08-29-2013, 10:02 AM
If looking for smaller rainbows, maybe consider Midway Reservoir east of Carstairs on highway 581 (about 12.5 miles east of highway 2) - 26.5 miles from Deerfoot and Stoney Trail north side intersection.

englishbob
08-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Pine coulee,great fishing.

ArjayAquino
08-29-2013, 04:33 PM
My friend made this handy website for finding fishing spots.

http://www.albertafishingguide.com/

Akumaz
08-29-2013, 05:44 PM
group BEYOND fishing trip!
i would like to find some good spots as well, i usually just fish on the bow, using Rapalas
would like to find a place, where i am almost guaranteed to catch something, regardless of type
*outside of calgary

msommers
08-29-2013, 05:56 PM
What about Barrier?

Anomaly
08-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by englishbob

Yeah try Pine Coulee, pretty hard to not catch anything there

Seks
08-30-2013, 07:43 AM
As we were heading to Clear Lake by Stavely, stumbled upon a turn off to Chain Lakes so I took a detour to there. Saw a handful of people fishing from the shore. Stayed for about 15 min watching them...didn't seem like they got any bites so we didn't bother getting our gear out. We then went to Clear Lake. Went to the pier but we didn't even try fishing as the lake seems to shallow?
We then took off to Eagle Lake by Strathmore. Stayed for 1/2 hr. Nothing.

430 km distance travelled, 3 lakes and 0 fishes.

Too bad you didn't post that while I was in Stavely or else I would have went there.

speedog
09-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Just was doing a search to see what lakes in Alberta were closed due to the whole blue green algae thing and is it quite startling how many are off limits including some popular lakes not that far from Calgary...
Alix Lake
Baptiste Lake
Calling Lake
Cochrane Lake
Cross Lake
Eagle Lake
Grande Prairie (county and city)
Half Moon Lake (Strathcona County)
Hasse Lake
Hastings Lake
Haunted Lake
Iosegun Lake
Isle Lake
Kehewin Lake
Lac La Biche
Lac La Nonne
Lac Ste. Anne
Long Lake (Thorhild County)
Mons Lake
Moonshine Lake
Paddle River Dam Reservoir
Pigeon Lake
Pine Lake
Severn Lake
Shining Bank Lake (Yellowhead County)
Snipe Lake
Swan Lake
Thunder Lake
Travers Reservoir (including the beaches of Little Bow Provincial Park, Travers Dam Campground, Little Bow Resort and Southern Alberta Bible Camp)
Twin Valley ReservoirConsidering that Twin Valley got added to the list today and that Travers was already on the list, it's probably not too much of a stretch to expect Clear Lake and McGregor to be added soon as well. A lot of decent fishing lakes not available.

Link (http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/SafetyProcedures/BlueGreenAlgae.aspx) to web site that I scavenged the above info from.