PDA

View Full Version : Blenders

Pages : [1] 2

msommers
08-29-2013, 06:47 PM
In the market for a blender to make smoothies in the morning. I've look at the higher stuff like the Vitamix or Blendtec and while they're solid, they're also $500! But at the same time I don't want to buy something that won't do a good job or burn out.

Basically I want something that can make smoothies with frozen grapes, berries. kale, broccoli and/or spinach. And also be able to make almond milk and carrot juice. The hot soup idea I see on some videos from the expensive brands is cool but truthfully I'd use that feature fairly seldom.

Are their reliable alternatives to the expensive blenders or at the end of the day, are they worth having around?

rvd
08-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Bite the bullet and cough up the dough for the vitamix, you won't be disappointed. Only other suggestion is an Oster Versa ($260) at half the price or try and find a blendtec at costco for $360.

Disoblige
08-29-2013, 07:11 PM
After owning several blenders from the $30-$100 range, I'm really excited to buy a Vitamix in the near future. It's not that the cheapo blenders break or anything, it's just they don't perform as well (particularly with lots of ice) and they're heavier and harder to wash (glass).

Darell_n
08-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Breville units are solid. My wife uses ours daily.

Clever
08-29-2013, 10:23 PM
I'm in the market as well, I think Costco is doing a promo all week , $360 for the Blendtec and comes with an 8 year warranty.

msommers
08-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Hmm. Is that in store only?

project240
08-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Spend the money for a blendtec or vitamix. We hav had our blendtec for a couple years now and it's awesome. I used it for smoothies daily and also stuff like making peanut or almond butter, Nutella, etc.

It's expensive, but well worth it

403ep3
08-29-2013, 11:00 PM
I just bought a vitamin a week ago during costcos roadshow.. I've used it every morning and use it to make watermelon juice.

Best 570 you'll spend! (for a blender)

jdmXSI
08-29-2013, 11:16 PM
I could never justify $500 on a blender... I usually buy oster blenders every 2-3 years for $50-60 and they works just fine for my daily smoothie of frozen strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blue berries. For a blendtec or vitamix to be worth while, it would have to last at minimum 20 years to be worth it financially. Not sure that'll help but its my .02.

guessboi
08-29-2013, 11:43 PM
My wife is still waiting for the newest Vitamix model from the road show during Stampede.

$628.95 all in. It has been 2 months with the delay and she is getting a $100 refund back and a free dry container at no charge. Product finally been shipped today.
:rofl:

RY213
08-30-2013, 07:43 AM
I have a ninja blender. It's almost as good as a vitamix but for 1/3 the price. It destroys ice!

Penguin_Racecar
08-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by RY213
I have a ninja blender. It's almost as good as a vitamix but for 1/3 the price. It destroys ice!

I just came in to post this exact same comment. Love my ninja blender.

msommers
08-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Where do you find those? Have you tried any kale in it?

I keep reading that the veggies and seeded fruits like raspberries and strawberries are the hardest to get completely smooth with anything less than the vitamix/blendtec. You should do a smoothie test with your Ninja!

The_Rural_Juror
08-30-2013, 08:27 AM
I went through about 4 blenders (probably spent about $500 on them combined), including the top of the line Breville before I got my entry level vitamix a few years back after a lot of research so I have a litle bit more control on making certain stuff. Maybe you might be interested?

No comparison to the others I have used. Only downside is that these are much louder than the cheaper brands.

These are the only three brands I would consider.

Ninja is the budget choice. Great reviews for so much less. But that's all I know about it.

Vitamix is what you see in most professional kitchens next to the robot-coupe. Study, strong, good warranty. People have reportedly owned these for 20+ years with no issues.
Pros: Very well built.
Cons: Heavy (could be a pro because it won't skid like the blendtec). Traditionally tall jugs are hard to store.

Blendtec:
Pros: 3hp vs Vitamix at just over 2hp. Can blend Ipads (youtube it). Cheaper than vitamix. Digital display with more presets and a couple more safety controls.

Cons: Lighter, so may skid. 2 blades vs 4 blades. A tough louder. Minimum rpm is not as low as the vitamix (you would only care about this if you're using this to make certain things).

sputnik
08-30-2013, 08:34 AM
I bought a Blendtec Designer Series.

http://www.blendtec.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/TBDS-Steel-Right-WildSide-Final.jpg

Best. Blender. Ever.

The main problem with the Vitamix is how tall it is. So you are stuck taking it apart to store it and it wont fit on the counter top under upper cabinets.

Clever
08-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Hmm. Is that in store only?

I think so, when I went home to check the details on the Costco website, it was a $100 more on their website.

Mitsu3000gt
08-30-2013, 09:14 AM
I have a Ninja 1200KS, Magic Bullet, and a Nutri Bullet.

The Nutri Bullet gets by far the most use. It's a much better version of the magic bullet, with 3 times the power. I make smoothies of basically exactly what you describe (frozen berries, juice, greek yogurt, almonds, flax seed, protein powder, apple, kale/spinach). It is awesome and only $100. Honestly most blenders are such a pain in the ass to clean, this solves that problem too.

The Ninja 1200KS is awesome (similar to vitamix power) but the blades aren't at the bottom, they go up the length of the cup. It's not as good for making juice and such as blenders which have the blades at the bottom. It will, however, turn ice cubes into a fine snow with zero water - it is the ultimate margarita maker, ice crusher, etc. Good for large smoothies as well. Canadian Tire has the full system with both jugs, several blades, etc. on sale regularly for $140. It has suction cups to lock it to the counter as well, but you need to keep them clean.

The magic bullet sucks balls. The original bullet had a 350W motor, and they dropped it to 200W or something like that later on, so if you don't have the original one it will be even worse. It was OK for a while but it's a struggle to crush some frozen berries and everything else unless you use a ton of liquid.

Vitamix is awesome, but cleaning them is a pain compared to the Nutri Bullet. For that reason I wouldn't use it nearly as often, so I decided against it. The Nutri Bullet EASILY crushes all the things I listed above into a perfectly portioned smoothie, quick rinse of the blades and your cup after and you're good to go for next time.

If you google "Blendtec vs Vitamix" you can read all day long. Both are good, but much less convenient to use than the bullet style blenders. If I needed a full size blender, I would buy one of these two, but I've learned that the one I use all the time is the one that is most convenient, and it still does the job just fine.

msommers
08-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Hmm sounds like that Nutribullet might be a decent alternative.

Sputnik, Vitamix makes a newer more compact version called the Pro 300. Unfortunately it's quite a bit more than the blendtec. I can order a refurbished blendtec off their website for ~$380 with a 7 year warranty which is kind of tempting. But $100 for that Nutribullet sounds even nicer! Ahh fuck I don't know what to do.

benyl
08-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

Blendtec:
Pros: 3hp vs Vitamix at just over 2hp. Can blend Ipads (youtube it). Cheaper than vitamix. Digital display with more presets and a couple more safety controls.

Cons: Lighter, so may skid. 2 blades vs 4 blades. A tough louder. Minimum rpm is not as low as the vitamix (you would only care about this if you're using this to make certain things).

2 blads is so much easier to clean. Also the blades are blunt so you don't get cut the fuck up when you clean it.

Hmm sounds like that Nutribullet might be a decent alternative.

Sputnik, Vitamix makes a newer more compact version called the Pro 300. Unfortunately it's quite a bit more than the blendtec. I can order a refurbished blendtec off their website for ~$380 with a 7 year warranty which is kind of tempting. But $100 for that Nutribullet sounds even nicer! Ahh fuck I don't know what to do.

I think the Blendtec is $350 or $360 for a new one with an 8 year warranty at Costco.

We have a blendtec. Before that we had a baby bullet (for the kid), magic bullet, some random blender. All ended up burning out. The Blentec is built like a fucking tank.

If it doesn't last at least 8 years, I can just return it to costco.

timdog
08-30-2013, 09:44 AM
i have had a vitamix for almost 2 years, have used it literally every single day and it still works as well as the day I bought it. its under warranty for another 5 years still and we will see if i need to utilize that. so far so good. i wont comment on how good it is or what it can do, since you already know that. i thought i'd just weigh in on the quality and durability.
cant comment on the ninja. I have a friend with a blendtec and it still holds up and seems to work pretty much just as well as the vitamix, but she uses it much less often than we use our vitamix so it's not a really a perfect comparison.
the main thing with the vitamix is the construction/durability which is backed by a 7 year warranty. just looking at the ninja up close, it doesnt seem like it would last as long but who knows.

genesis0403
08-30-2013, 09:55 AM
i would also recommend omniblend. It's not as famous as blendtec but they are used commercially as well

zipdoa
08-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Get a Blendtec or a Vitamix. Blendtec is the better deal and has way more volume in the cotainer, while Vitamix has an arguably better blade which gets smoothies smoother. Both will spin fast enough to get the liquids hot.

I bought my Blendtec used off Kijiji for $250. Has about 18,000 blends on the blend counter.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/558170_10151075348320874_1669662352_n.jpg

project240
08-30-2013, 11:03 AM
The problem with those ninja blenders is that they are made of lower quality materials. Yes, initially they work reasonably well, you might even say similar results to a blendtec, but compare again 500 or 1000 blends later and there is no comparison. I'd say compare again at 2500 blends, but your ninja will already be in the garbage long before that. :rofl:

403ep3
08-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Just spend the 1 time $500+ and you won't have to by a blender for a very long time.

I actually have my vitamix under my shelves and it fits perfectly.

TNC 3 is at costco Beacon Hill till the end of the month at 579.99

but TNC (last years model) is on sale for one more day: http://www.costco.ca/.product.100048961.html

dexlargo
08-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Consumer Reports had an article on blenders just in the last few months.

The Vitamix was one of the best tested, but cost so much more than Ninja blenders that they ended up recommending the Ninjas over the vitamix.

I was surprised that their overall winner was a model I haven't seen in stores here - The Ninja Master Prep: http://www.ninjakitchen.com/NinjaMasterPrep.shtml?tabID=detailsCont

Which is also one of their cheapest products at $60 US. IIRC, it outperformed the Vitamix at making smoothies and stuff.

I have the Ninja Kitchen System 1100 (paid $140 when I saw it on sale at Canadian Tire), and have used it a lot in the last couple of years. Still works great and is the best blender I've ever had at crushing ice.

I don't make smoothies with kale, so I can't really comment about how well it would do with that - but I have made potato, bacon and leek soup with it a few times and it had zero problems liquefying that stuff. In fact, it is so good at that kind of thing that I gave away my Kitchen-Aid food processor.

So, I recommend the Ninja.

If you want, I have the Consumer Reports article in a .pdf at home - I could put the article up here when I get home. Let me know.

ETA: - Found a quick synopsis of the Consumers Reports Article here: http://articles.courant.com/2013-05-11/business/hc-ls-consumer-reports-blenders-20130511_1_consumer-reports-hot-soup-blendtec

And it looks like Canadian Tire does sell the Ninja Master Prep: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/8/KitchenBath/2/Appliances/FoodProcessors/PRD~0432123P/Ninja+Master+Prep+Pro+Food+%26+Drink+Maker.jsp?locale=en

I'll still see if I can chop up (heh) the .pdf of the Consumers Reports article later.

JRSC00LUDE
08-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by dexlargo
If you want, I have the Consumer Reports article in a .pdf at home - I could put the article up here when I get home. Let me know.

Do it. :thumbsup:

dexlargo
08-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Consumer Reports blender comparisons attached as jpegs.

Sorry about the quality, I couldn't upload the images full size (larger than the max Beyond allows), so I had to resize them a bit.

dexlargo
08-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Page 2:

dexlargo
08-30-2013, 05:08 PM
One other tip - I read earlier that some people were saying some blenders are hard to clean or whatever - I've always done like they recommend on page 1 of this article and just put soapy water in the blender and run it for about 30 seconds, then rinse.

Cleans it spotlessly every time.

msommers
08-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Interesting how they scored the vitamix and blendtec so differently. Thanks for posting that!

Mitsu3000gt
08-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Vitamix is the tits, no question, but it's huge overkill for the casual protein shake maker. If it's even slightly more effort to clean or use than something else, chances are you will use the other one more. That's what it comes down to for me, and the Nutribullet is not lacking in power at all for the type of smoothies you describe, it EASILY takes care of the kale, almonds, frozen berries, etc. No need to run water through a cleaning cycle, just hold the blades under the sink for 2 seconds, and the cup under the sink for 2 seconds when you're done the shake - done.

msommers
08-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Sweet. Maybe I'll just go that direction. My birthday is coming up afterall. Much easier to ask for that than a Blendtec :D

Mitsu3000gt
08-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Sweet. Maybe I'll just go that direction. My birthday is coming up afterall. Much easier to ask for that than a Blendtec :D

Just buy it from Bed Bath & Beyond, they have a return policy like Costco. If you don't like it or if it ever brakes under normal use just return it. As long as you don't make massive shakes, it is awesome.

msommers
08-30-2013, 09:06 PM
Sweet I just got a 20% off coupon from them!

jdmXSI
09-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Fyi for anyone with a vitamix.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/08/cpsc-recalls-vitamix-blender/index.htm

Vitamix recalls blender containers due to laceration hazard

The blade on the company's 64-ounce containers can break

Published: August 29, 2013 11:57 AM

Find Ratings

Blenders__

The_U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission_has announced the recall of 165,000 Vitamix 64-ounce low-profile blender containers. An additional 4,300 containers are being recalled in Canada. The blade inside these containers can break, creating a laceration hazard to consumers. Vitamix has received 18 reports of blades breakage, none causing injuries.The recall involves Vitamix 64-ounce low-profile containers sold at major retailers and online at vitamix.com from April 2012 to August 2013. The containers came with Vitamix models 7500, Professional Series 300, and Professional Series 750; some were also sold individually. Affected models have blade part number 103208 A and blade date codes 03-12 through 07-13 laser etched onto their blade. The websitecontainerbladerecall.com, set up by Vitamix, provides additional information and photos.If you own one of the recalled blenders, stop using it immediately and contact Vitamix for information on obtaining a free repair. You can either go to_vitamix.com_or call the company at 888-350-4386 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time Monday through Friday and 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Saturdays.The Vitamix Professional Series 750, Vitamix 7500, and Vitamix Professional Series 300 all earned excellent overall scores in our Ratings, and are on_Consumer Reports' current recommended list of blenders. They made very good smoothies and superb purées. They also aced our durability test, which involves crushing seven ice cubes 45 times to simulate long-term use. We recently judged the_Calphalon XL 9-speed blender a Don't Buy: Safety Risk_because a knife-sharp fragment broke off from the same place on the blade assembly on three samples of this model. But no such issue arose with the Vitamix blender.__Vitamix assures us that the problem has been fixed with all models currently for sale in stores and online. Therefore, we are continuing to recommend these Vitamix blenders, though we have added a footnote to theblender Ratings_for consumers who may already own an affected model.It's worth noting that all blenders are a potential safety hazard, given their exposed blades. In fact, more than 7,000 people were injured by blenders in 2011, based on emergency-room treated injuries reported to the Consumer Products Safety Commission. To stay safe, never put your hand inside a blender, especially if it's plugged in. And instead of hand washing, add soapy water and run the blender until the container and blades are clean, then unplug the device and rinse the container under the faucet.

duaner
09-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Good to know. I have a Vitamix 750 Pro on back order right now. Guess I'll have to check the blade out when it comes in.

kaput
09-08-2013, 11:03 AM

jsn
09-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Sweet I just got a 20% off coupon from them!

I just bought a nutribullet with the same the 20% coupon too. :thumbsup: Works better than a magic bullet. Alot more power and doesn't leave as many chunks.

Maxx Mazda
09-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Did I just read 2 full pages on blenders?

BrknFngrs
09-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Vitamix is the tits, no question, but it's huge overkill for the casual protein shake maker. If it's even slightly more effort to clean or use than something else, chances are you will use the other one more. That's what it comes down to for me, and the Nutribullet is not lacking in power at all for the type of smoothies you describe, it EASILY takes care of the kale, almonds, frozen berries, etc. No need to run water through a cleaning cycle, just hold the blades under the sink for 2 seconds, and the cup under the sink for 2 seconds when you're done the shake - done.

Agreed, I came to the exact same conclusion. Use my nutribullet twice a day on average; shakes are almost always smooth and clean up couldn't be any easier.

jsn
09-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
Did I just read 2 full pages on blenders?

why the hell would you click a thread called "blenders" then if you're not interested in buying one? Good info in here for those looking for one.

I've used my nutribullet a few more times and I'm pretty impressed with it. When blending stuff like spinach and Kale, the magic bullet would leave chunks behind. The nutribullet seems to do a better job with greens. I can blend greens in with my protein shakes and I pretty much can't even notice they're in there. With frozen fruits, it requires less liquids than the magic bullet. I found with the magic bullet, if I didn't use enough liquid, alot of times it would stall or get stuck. The nutribullet hasn't stalled once and it seems to get a smoother consistency out of the shakes.

The only downside is that it's quite abit larger than the magic bullet. It's still smaller than the average full sized blender, but I used to use the magic bullet for when I'm out in the field, so it's definitely still smaller and more convenient to carry around on the go. I guess that's the trade-off for a more powerful blender.

msommers
10-12-2013, 03:55 AM
I'm out in the field at the moment and brought my Nutribullet. It's been working well but I definitely notice seeds and little bits of kale that require a tiny bit of chewing. We did a mash up against the Blendtec someone brought with basically the same amount of stuff in each: protein powder, fresh kale, frozen blueberries, frozen mixed berries, chai seeds and hemp hearts.

The blendtec is able to completely smash up everything with some seeds here and there vs. the loads of seeds I get in the Nutribullet, especially when you're almost done your cup. The texture is a lot more smooth and cream-like in comparison as well. There really is no contest between these two in terms of performance. Additionally, the lid is much nicer since there is no screwing on and off. Just load it up and plop the top on.

I find I'm maxing out the nutribullet all the time in terms of capacity. I've found some middle ground in that I mash up the greens first and then put in the rest. The Nutribullet was constantly getting big clumps of kale stuck under the blades and still does. I have to blend it, shake it up a bit and put it back on to completely blend the kale. By the time I add powder, water and berries, the gasket on this thing isn't going to last long. Maybe I don't need that much in one sitting anyways.

At the end of the day, I just don't know if I can justify spending $400+ on a blender when I got the Nutribullet for $80. I've been using my daily so we'll see how she holds up in the long run. When/if the Nutribullet bites the dust, I'll probably pony up on the blendtec. Or buy 4 more blenders for the same price. Tough call. For field use, the Nutribullet is definitely less bulky in comparison.

botox
10-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Interesting read. I just burned out our 2nd blender and had my eyes set out for a Blendtec at Costco, but maybe I'll check one of the ninja's first.

jsn
10-13-2013, 12:49 AM
wierd how you're getting alot of chunks of kale. I blend kale too. How much kale do you use and how much liquids do you put in? Maybe you're not putting enough liquids because I don't get any chunks of kale left over from my nutribullet. I put frozen fruits, a handfull of kale, protein, greek yogurt, and then almond milk and I never get any chunks of kale left over.

nzwasp
10-13-2013, 11:06 AM
When making smoothies, we refrain from putting kale stems in our vitamix as it purees it all and the kale stems are absolutely horrid to have in there. However if you dont want to discard them you can pickle the stems.

We have a vitamix 5200 and bought it from costco in 2009 - havent really used it all that much until this year when we have had a green smoothie nearly every day.

Another tip about kale - if you are making green smoothies with it - buy a shit load when its on special and freeze it then its simple to break up when frozen.

r3ccOs
11-02-2013, 11:27 AM
impulsively I decided to pick up a blender....
I did a little research and read this and other forms, and decided to buy a "el cheapo" for now.

As far as I can tell, you have blendtec & vitamix leading the pack.
Both made with better Carafe's, and metal components, and 1300-1500 watts
I believe that its 6 and half dozen for most people's purpose's, and the Vitamix can spin to obsurd speeds of like 37000RPM, vs 29000 for Blendtec

then the rest :)

just to see if I liked blending, someone told me about Ninja & the Healthmaster Elite

From reading, all reviews seems to show that Ninja overall is better, but being that it was 10:30 at Walmart, and I like "walmart's exchange policy" better than Canadian Tire or Bed Bath & Beyond... I grabbed the Healthmaster Elite

Its rated higher in power than an equivalent Ninja, and is on sale for $118
From reviews, the healthmaster (older) version was full of bugs and unreliable motor...

This one is supposed to be "Better", but its definitely a "made in china" product.

Its rated at 2hp, 1200 watts and can do 22'000 rpm

So far, its emulsifying everything I throw at it, to a level I'm happy with.

I figure, if it breaks in a few months (even though it has a lifetime warranty on the motor) its cheap enough, AND I can always figure a way to replace it at walmart.

Overall, its very very smooth, and I MUCH prefer the quality of what I can create than the Ice filled smoothies I pay $7.65 for at Jugo in my building.

but now that I do like "Blending" - I will buy a Vitamix when this dies.

Mitsu3000gt
11-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Matt try using a bit more liquid if it's not mashing up everything. It won't crush the seeds but there shouldn't be any kale chunks under the blades or anything when you're done. I put a handfull of almonds in mine and it almost completely crushes them if the blades can move fast enough.

It'll never crush everything as good as a Blendtec/Vitamix but pretty good for $80 and convenient as hell haha.

msommers
11-02-2013, 07:32 PM
I've had more luck with the kale by leaving the stems out and shredding it a bit before I blend it!

r3ccOs
11-02-2013, 08:23 PM
jeeze... Costco has a Blentec for $359

even though that's 3x the price of the homemaster elite... thats a good deal

silvercivicsir
11-02-2013, 09:11 PM
I am kinda of a BLENDER Whore, and own two Blendtecs, and a Vitamix 6300. Both are great Blenders.. I would say the Vitamix is more for Chefs, and the Blendtec is more of the smoothie maker. You get what you pay for, and I would never go back to a cheapo blender..

Mitsu3000gt
11-03-2013, 01:49 PM
If anyone wants the blendtec, get it at Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon. Vitamix is exempt from the coupon but Blendtec isn't. Return policy is the same as Costco so basically a lifetime warranty.

r3ccOs
11-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
If anyone wants the blendtec, get it at Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon. Vitamix is exempt from the coupon but Blendtec isn't. Return policy is the same as Costco so basically a lifetime warranty.

does that work out being the same price?

r3ccOs
11-09-2013, 10:33 AM
The commercial series blenders available from Waring, Blendtec, Vitamix and Hamilton beech are quite a bit more powerful th an the retail end.

Most are 3.5HP motors that are anywhere from true 1500 watts to 1800 watts and can spin freely to like 45000 rpm

good review
http://www.artipot.com/articles/440095/comparing-vita-mix-blendtec-waring-and-the-health-master-blender.htm

bosa
11-12-2013, 10:47 PM
+1 for Blendtec. It's loud as hell but it gets the jobs done quick. I don't regret it at all. It definitely has paid off in a big way helping me live a healthier lifestyle.

Seth1968
12-16-2013, 09:01 AM
There was no way in hell I was going to pay hundreds of dollars for a Vitamix or Blendtec, when all the reviews I found said that the Ninja's were just as good, and at a fraction of the cost.

I ended up getting this Ninja at CT. It's regular $99.00, but is often on sale for less. It's easy to clean, dishwasher safe, and has a very large capacity.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ninja-professional-blender-0432189p.html#.Uq8TX9JDu4I

When I was standing in line at CT, a guy beside me said, "You're going to love that. We got one a few weeks ago, and it works way better than those really cheap blenders".

After now using it a few times, suffice to say that I am indeed loving it. The quality is very good, and I think this thing could even blend rocks if one was so inclined.:)

supe
12-16-2013, 09:58 AM
My 2 cents. I have the ninja professional and have used it almost every other day for 6 months and love it! My favorite part is the single serve function which makes for easy cleanup. I have not used the more expensive blenders but the ninja definitely blends good enough.

For the bigger blender guys, if you're making a single smoothie aren't you wasting a lot from leftoevers?

flipstah
12-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
There was no way in hell I was going to pay hundreds of dollars for a Vitamix or Blendtec, when all the reviews I found said that the Ninja's were just as good, and at a fraction of the cost.

I ended up getting this Ninja at CT. It's regular $99.00, but is often on sale for less. It's easy to clean, dishwasher safe, and has a very large capacity.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ninja-professional-blender-0432189p.html#.Uq8TX9JDu4I

When I was standing in line at CT, a guy beside me said, "You're going to love that. We got one a few weeks ago, and it works way better than those really cheap blenders".

After now using it a few times, suffice to say that I am indeed loving it. The quality is very good, and I think this thing could even blend rocks if one was so inclined.:)

Originally posted by supe
My 2 cents. I have the ninja professional and have used it almost every other day for 6 months and love it! My favorite part is the single serve function which makes for easy cleanup. I have not used the more expensive blenders but the ninja definitely blends good enough.

For the bigger blender guys, if you're making a single smoothie aren't you wasting a lot from leftoevers?

Does the container it comes with only single serve or there are two in the box?

Interested in changing our blender and this looks promising.

Seth1968
12-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Does the container it comes with only single serve or there are two in the box?

Interested in changing our blender and this looks promising.

The one I posted just has the one large container and blades throughout most of the jug.

What I'm doing right now, is using 300 grams of frozen mixed berries, then filling the rest of the container with water. Blend that for 30 seconds and you've got a jugful of antioxidant, anti disease drinks.

I'm going to start mixing some greens in the blend, or just making a separate vegetable mixture. Either way, that means I no longer have to deal with actually preparing and eating fruits and vegetables ever again FTW:)

r3ccOs
12-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Ej048qZNxpk

most comprehensive video

that being said... My friend bought a ninja ultimate 1500, and I have a cheapo health master 1200, and both do a wicked job at churning things apart.

Next blender though, will be a blendtec for sure, as Costco has these regularly at $359 OR a Waring Pro

presently my blender uses the cross propeller style, and I can bring water to a boil in about 4 minutes already... its a strong motor, but the reviews says its suspect in reliablity. BUt hey its walmart and only $120, and everyone knows their return policy lol

firebane
02-04-2014, 05:02 PM
To keep this thread alive I myself was looking for a new blender as I was using a Magic Bullet but it just sucked for frozen fruits such as strawberries and such.

So I was looking at the Ninja for $99 but it had such all over the place reviews and especially when it came to how sharp the blade was it had me worried.

I read in here how someone went to Walmart and picked up a Healthmaster Elite and while it cost $50 I have to simply say it was worth it.

The weight of the unit alone is fairly surprising and weights around 10-11lbs. I tossed a handful of ice in and hit the ice button to see what would happen and literally ended up with ice that exploded upon contact.. quite frightening.

I am planning on picking up some frozen berries to run another test tomorrow to see how it does and hopefully works well.

schocker
02-04-2014, 05:51 PM
I bought the Blendtec from costco.ca with the 2 jars for like $390 tax in iirc. Haven't tried it out yet but I am thrilled to make some smoothies

r3ccOs
02-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by firebane
To keep this thread alive I myself was looking for a new blender as I was using a Magic Bullet but it just sucked for frozen fruits such as strawberries and such.

So I was looking at the Ninja for $99 but it had such all over the place reviews and especially when it came to how sharp the blade was it had me worried.

I read in here how someone went to Walmart and picked up a Healthmaster Elite and while it cost $50 I have to simply say it was worth it.

The weight of the unit alone is fairly surprising and weights around 10-11lbs. I tossed a handful of ice in and hit the ice button to see what would happen and literally ended up with ice that exploded upon contact.. quite frightening.

I am planning on picking up some frozen berries to run another test tomorrow to see how it does and hopefully works well.

hasn't broke on me yet...

I've heard the Oster http://www.londondrugs.com/Oster-Versa-Pro-Blender---BLSTVB-000-033/L7447469,default,pd.html?start=6&q=oster%20blender

is just as good as anything out there, with an equivalent 8 year warranty for only $250

by equivalent, as well built and powerful as a Vitamix/Blendtec/Waring Pro

spikerS
02-04-2014, 09:48 PM
I have found a blender is a blender is a blender, except for 2 differences.

I am partial to a glass housing. I find it is easy to clean, and does not get cloudy over time, and is dishwasher safe.

MOST IMPORTANT! Find a blender that has a metal coupler between the blender and the jug thingy. If it is anything else, it connection will strip itself, especially on anything frozen like ice or fruit, and then the whole thing becomes useless. A metal connection won't and will dramatically increase the life span of the blender.

other than that, they are all pretty much the same.

firebane
02-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by spikers

I am partial to a glass housing. I find it is easy to clean, and does not get cloudy over time, and is dishwasher safe.

MOST IMPORTANT! Find a blender that has a metal coupler between the blender and the jug thingy. If it is anything else, it connection will strip itself, especially on anything frozen like ice or fruit, and then the whole thing becomes useless. A metal connection won't and will dramatically increase the life span of the blender.

The $30 blender we have compared to the $150 blender we have would simply say otherwise for many reasons.

Seth1968
02-04-2014, 11:27 PM

The $30 blender we have compared to the $150 blender we have would simply say otherwise for many reasons.

Agreed.

I've gone through a few of those $20 to $30 blenders. They don't even compare to the $100 Ninja I purchased a couple of months ago.

msommers
02-05-2014, 12:37 AM

Nah once you do real comparisons, you want the vita mixes/blentecs. There is a difference but whether that difference is worth a few hundred bucks is your prerogative .

lint
02-05-2014, 12:41 PM

Have you ever owned a vitamix/blendtec or other higher end blender? I've had my vitamix for about 9 years now, not a single problem. And I can trade it in for $150 credit on the purchase of a new one.

Mitsu3000gt
02-05-2014, 12:49 PM

I've tried 6 or 7 blenders now and I would have to disagree.

All the "standard" blenders suck (basically anything made by the usual low-end appliance brands), don't mix well, and can't crush ice worth a damn (if they can, you need to ad tons of liquid). No difference if they have glass or plastic. They are also a pain to clean, usually.

I find there is much less difference between the Ninja/Blendtek/Vitamix in the higher end of things. I do not believe a Vitamix is $200 better than a Ninja, but they are different styles.

My Ninja will turn ice into fine snow without a drop of liquid in a matter of seconds, and is easier to clean than a traditional blender. Vitamix/blentek do a great job as well, but the blades are on the bottom rather than all the way up the pitcher. Just different styles. Blades at the bottom is better for some things, depending in the intended use.

For the "single serving" style blenders, skip the magic bullet and get a nutri bullet, it has no trouble with frozen fruts or nuts. Ninja makes an awesome single serving blender now too.

I will never again buy a "regular" blender though, they are all garbage IMO. A quality, high power motor and good blade/pitcher design make all the difference.

Strider
02-10-2014, 10:08 AM
For any budget ballers looking for a cheap smoothie maker, Target has the Nutribullet on clearance for $50. Has to be the red one though. Sunridge has a bunch of them.

I scooped one up just for the hell of it.

Haven't had any issues with kale... Just gotta make sure you load it up as per the instructions?

I do wish it would break down raspberry seeds more though.

Mitsu3000gt
02-10-2014, 10:10 AM
^^^ That's an awesome price. I paid $99 for mine and it was "guaranteed to never be on sale" lol. $50 is a steal for that thing IMO. Much more powerful than the magic bullet, for whose who like the MB but wish it had more power.

r3ccOs
02-12-2014, 09:20 AM
costco has blendtec classic's stocked up in Okotoks south for $359

Albertosaurus
02-12-2014, 10:56 AM
I had issues with Blendtec's digital read out when I purchased from Costco and switched over to a Vitamix. No regrets.

timdog
02-12-2014, 12:27 PM
I've said this already, but .. I'm sure the ninja is good out of the gate. but i've used my vitamix every single day for 2.5 years and its as good as it was the day I bought it. and if i ever do have problems, the warranty is 7 years. just sayin

adam c
02-12-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm looking to pick up either a magic bullet or nutribullet for easy protein shakes in the morning, I already have a normal size blender but cleaning it everyday is a pain. in reading the reviews the nutribullet is hands down better than the magic bullet but at double the price is it worth it? and how is the noise level? i read they are above 100db and when i'm making them at 6:30 in the morning don't want to wake up the whole house

msommers
02-12-2014, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't say any of these blenders are particularly quiet, unfortunately.

adam c
02-12-2014, 01:08 PM
I'm ok with loud but are we talking wake up the house with 100db loud?

Mitsu3000gt
02-12-2014, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by adam c
I'm looking to pick up either a magic bullet or nutribullet for easy protein shakes in the morning, I already have a normal size blender but cleaning it everyday is a pain. in reading the reviews the nutribullet is hands down better than the magic bullet but at double the price is it worth it? and how is the noise level? i read they are above 100db and when i'm making them at 6:30 in the morning don't want to wake up the whole house

I went from using a magic bullet for several years to the Nutribullet and it is WAY better. It's not that loud, but it isn't whisper quiet either. A "regular" blender is louder than the NB, at least in my experience. I would think it is definitely below 100dB.

firebane
02-12-2014, 02:36 PM

MB is a waste of money either get the Nutribullet or an actual blender.

Strider
02-12-2014, 03:17 PM

I got the Nutribullet, it's not really any louder than my oster blender.

If you're okay with red, grab the red Nutribullet on clearance for $50 from Target (Sunridge), then you don't have to worry about price differential between MB and NB.

jsn
02-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Strider
For any budget ballers looking for a cheap smoothie maker, Target has the Nutribullet on clearance for $50. Has to be the red one though. Sunridge has a bunch of them.

I scooped one up just for the hell of it.

Haven't had any issues with kale... Just gotta make sure you load it up as per the instructions?

I do wish it would break down raspberry seeds more though.

That's a hell of a deal. I bought mine at full price a few months ago. It's definitely way better than a normal magic bullet. Normal cheap blenders go for 30 bucks. It's pretty much a no-brainer to go with a NB instead of a MB or normal cheap blender at that price. It's easier to clean and somewhat portable to boot. I bring mine out to the field whenever I work.

However, it's definitely not as powerful as they advertise on tv obviously. I also wish it breaks down seeds a bit better, but at 50 dollars, you really can't complain.

adam c
02-12-2014, 09:14 PM

MB is a waste of money either get the Nutribullet or an actual blender.

I have an actual it's a pain to drag it out, clean and put it away for protein drinks, i want something quick and easy to clean that can stay on the counter top

I got the Nutribullet, it's not really any louder than my oster blender.

If you're okay with red, grab the red Nutribullet on clearance for $50 from Target (Sunridge), then you don't have to worry about price differential between MB and NB.

Thanks for that, i'm fine with Red for half price

firebane
02-12-2014, 09:36 PM
The blender I have takes all of a minute or two to clean out.

I fill it half full with water and soap let it blend that up for a second. Rinse and dry. Done.

adam c
02-12-2014, 10:12 PM
meh to each their own...

themack89
02-12-2014, 11:05 PM
The blender I have is like 30+ years old and she's a beast. The torque this motor puts out spins the base if you don't hold it.

I found one on E-bay, haha even look at the description!

THIS AUCTION IS FOR A VINTAGE CHROME OSTERIZER GALAXIE 10 SPEED BLENDER BASE / MOTOR ONLY. IT IS SERVICE NUMBER #847-68S. THIS BLENDER BASE IS IN GOOD WORKING CONDITION. IT HAS A VERY POWERFUL MOTOR.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OSTERIZER-GALAXIE-10-SPEED-CHROME-BLENDER-BASE-MOTOR-ONLY-/261392221119

There is something about old appliances that makes them seem like they were designed to survive a nuclear blast.

*EDIT... Durr, I guess they designed them this way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osterizer

Osterizers tended towards heavy construction and motors. While this raised cost, many early-model Osterizers still function today, and are more powerful than a majority of contemporary consumer blenders.

bmeier
02-13-2014, 12:28 AM
We have two blenders one glass oster which is pretty good and a vitamix. Hands down the vitamix is better in every way. It holds more, blends better and cleans easily. The oster is surprisingly good though its just too small and more of a pain to clean.. I use a blender a lot more now that I have a vitamix but I could see why people don't want to spend the money.

jwslam
02-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Just got back from there. Either they're all gone or I'm blind.

adam c
02-16-2014, 09:21 PM
they were gone when i went on thursday, ended up picking up the normal colour one... i don't know what some people are talking about, the nutribullet isn't anywhere close to 100db

kaput
02-16-2014, 09:23 PM

drtoohotty1
03-16-2014, 09:11 AM
We just picked up a blendtec from bed bath and beyond they have that 20% off coupon for email signup which usually excludes vitamix and blendtec but not this one! so all in it was 416.00 pretty good price great blender and 7 year warranty.

BrknFngrs
09-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Bump; looking to move to either a blendtec or a vitamix. Anyone come across any great deals for these lately?

Was originally leaning towards a vitamix but it isn't usable with the 20% off coupon from BB&B while the blendtec is.

rage2
09-12-2014, 10:44 AM
I'm still blown away that I spent $700 on a fucking Blender earlier this year.

BrknFngrs
09-12-2014, 10:49 AM
^^ What model did you go with?

stillworking
09-12-2014, 11:18 AM
I got the Blentec in Feb from Costco, and initially thought it was a pretty good blender. After 200 blends, I was noticing the performance deteriorating. I just exchanged for the new VitaMix (NQA), and after a couple of weeks, I am blown away at the results. The smoothies have a totally different taste and very smooth texture coming from the VitaMix. For example, I used to really taste the cucumber and celery in my smoothies and don't anymore. I believe The Consumer Reports article is correct on the Vitamix and Blendtec. The big difference between the two is the blades. Where Blendtec has 2 large dull blades that can't be changed, the vitamix has 4 sharp blades that can be changed.

schocker
09-12-2014, 11:24 AM
I still like my blendtec lots but only about 50 uses so far. I mainly like how it has the buttons to do different things instead of not having them and just a dial.

Mr_John
09-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
Bump; looking to move to either a blendtec or a vitamix. Anyone come across any great deals for these lately?

Was originally leaning towards a vitamix but it isn't usable with the 20% off coupon from BB&B while the blendtec is.

I have this and love it for my smoothies. Haven't tried it for soups or anything intense but this is a great product:
http://m.costco.ca/Vitamix-TurboBlend®-2-Speed-Blender.product.100084641.html

I've seen it for sale in the $300-350 rang.

rage2
09-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
^^ What model did you go with?
http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/pro-series-300-blender-0323-001961--24

Looks like prices dropped a little since I bought it.

stillworking
09-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by schocker
I still like my blendtec lots but only about 50 uses so far. I mainly like how it has the buttons to do different things instead of not having them and just a dial.

I thought I liked the presets, lcd display, and smaller profile. In the end, I am extremely happy Costco let me trade up. The VitaMix I got has presets on it, it's the Total Nutrition Centre 3 in Red.

project240
09-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by stillworking
I got the Blentec in Feb from Costco, and initially thought it was a pretty good blender. After 200 blends, I was noticing the performance deteriorating. I just exchanged for the new VitaMix (NQA), and after a couple of weeks, I am blown away at the results. The smoothies have a totally different taste and very smooth texture coming from the VitaMix. For example, I used to really taste the cucumber and celery in my smoothies and don't anymore. I believe The Consumer Reports article is correct on the Vitamix and Blendtec. The big difference between the two is the blades. Where Blendtec has 2 large dull blades that can't be changed, the vitamix has 4 sharp blades that can be changed.

I bought my blendtec about 3ish years ago and the counter is now at over 4000 blends... We have 2 jars and I have only ever used the large size. Maybe you got a bad unit because like I said over 4000 blends on the same blade and it still chews through frozen berries easily...

As kaput said, until you have one you don't really realize how much you can use it for. Given our counter, that's on average more than 3 blend cycles every single day for over 3 years... Haha

BrknFngrs
09-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Picked up the Blendtec Designer 625 from BB&B and tried it out this AM; not nearly as loud as I was expecting based on peoples comments and chewed up all the fruits and veggies nicely :thumbsup:

sputnik
09-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by stillworking
Where Blendtec has 2 large dull blades that can't be changed, the vitamix has 4 sharp blades that can be changed.

Blenders are supposed to pulverize food not slice it.

The sharpness of the blades or even the number of them is irrelevant.

Speed and strength of the motor along with the shape of the pitcher is more important IMO.