PDA

View Full Version : Official 2013-2014 Ski/Snowboard Season Thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-29-2013, 08:36 PM
It's almost that time again! What's everyone's big trips and plans for this year? New gear? New movies to watch!

I have to say if you like urban skiing I just watched Mutiny and it's pretty damn good. I can't wait to see Mconkey, I've been looking forward to it forever!

CivicTunr
08-29-2013, 09:25 PM
paid for my season to sunshine. And going to pick up a louise card.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by CivicTunr
paid for my season to sunshine. And going to pick up a louise card.

Nice, I bought an early bird pass to Sunshine and then proceeded to hurt my knee a month ago, hopefully I will be good to go for opening day.

lasimmon
08-29-2013, 09:35 PM
I had a sunshine pass last year and just didn't use it enough to make it worth it.

I have fernie, kicking horse, revy trips planned. At least once.

Whitefish, heli-skiing, maybe cat skiing and a trip to whistler are also on the docket for the year. I can't wait!!

googe
08-30-2013, 04:45 AM
Gonna try and get a tour of various resorts in the west US this year. Probably wont get time for everything, but Jackson Hole, Big Sky/Bridger, Tahoe, Utah and Colorado are on my list. Haven't been to any, so if anyone has tips on hidden gem resorts in those areas, post them! I know CO and UT have a lot but not sure which are a good balance of size/traffic/price.

-relk-
08-30-2013, 08:08 AM
Heading down to Fernie for a trip this year. Would like to try to get out to Revy or Kicking Horse as well, but we will see. Getting stoked!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-30-2013, 05:05 PM
I spend most of my time at Sunshine with trips every so often here and there. Probably did 15-20 days at Sunshine last year, and 10-15 at Revy, Kicking Horse, Whistler and Nakiska.

So whats everyone riding? I am going to stick with my 184 Line Sir Francis Bacons (early and late season skis now), 189 K2 Pettitors (great for everything but a bit long for the trees I find, and 179 K2 Hellbents (Powder and Tree Skis).

CivicTunr
08-31-2013, 05:40 PM
im riding 178 k2 kung fujus w/ Rossi axial bindings (bright orange)
and a 155 rome agent w/ technine bindings and van bfb boots.

How often do you guys go? I would like to make some more friends to ride with. My skill level is up to double black, however i can ski/ride with anyone as i usually practice riding switch/backwards. Also skiing is new to me (first season was last year), still can ride doubles and moguls but im a little slower.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-31-2013, 11:12 PM
im riding 178 k2 kung fujus w/ Rossi axial bindings (bright orange)
and a 155 rome agent w/ technine bindings and van bfb boots.

How often do you guys go? I would like to make some more friends to ride with. My skill level is up to double black, however i can ski/ride with anyone as i usually practice riding switch/backwards. Also skiing is new to me (first season was last year), still can ride doubles and moguls but im a little slower.

Personally I have been skiing since I was two and did a lot of racing when I was younger as well as ski jumped for many years as well, then coached briefly as well. I ski for fun now and don't tend to board much anymore, but my friends are all a mix, some ski and some board.

asp integra
09-02-2013, 01:03 PM
haha this thread starts earlier every year!

Got my louise pass a few months back, hoping i can get my patella tendonitis down so i can ski hard this year!

I just bought a house so I wont be picking up any new gear this season so I will be rocking all my last years stuff:

185 Armada JJs with axial 140
181 Armada Ar7s with FKS 140

Saga Anomie Red jacket and Grey/black pants

a few pics for the thread!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/q71/s720x720/554502_603136380622_750644189_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/149076_591601626362_268025275_n.jpg

diamondedge
09-02-2013, 01:49 PM
My board needs a tune...real bad. Stoked.

JfuckinC
09-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Revvy Opening day, Whitefish for 7 days over new years, and always a few trips to revvy/whitefish/fernie every year...

I want new snow pants, bindings, lid and goggles and i should be good to go :D

Chester
09-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Picked up some new Union SL bindings, pumped to try em

http://www.evo.com/imgp/1500/56423.Color.Hardgoods_BlackWhite_Image.jpg

dimi
09-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Goal for this year is to stay injury and avalanche free, hit Roger's Pass at least 5-10 times, make a trip to Icefields Parkway and Yoho, maybe even French-Haig-Robertson.

New gear will definitely include an airbag, new pants, maybe a digital beacon as well.

Most of all I hope for the rock solid snow pack we had last year.

a61z
09-03-2013, 03:46 PM
I know that there are some VERY good skiers on beyond. This is going to sound sorta dumb, but how did you guys get to that level? Do you have competitive ski backgrounds?

I've been skiing casually for 20+ years, but it feels like I haven't really gotten any better for the last 5-10 years. I can get down anything on the hill, but I don't have the smoothness, style, and grace that I want on double diamonds and even some single diamonds. I'm not comfortable with any serious air either.

It gets sort of discouraging ending a season and feeling like I haven't made any real progress in my skill level.

I would love to understand how to keep progressing and eventually get to that elite sort of level that I know some of you guys have!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by a61z
I know that there are some VERY good skiers on beyond. This is going to sound sorta dumb, but how did you guys get to that level? Do you have competitive ski backgrounds?

I've been skiing casually for 20+ years, but it feels like I haven't really gotten any better for the last 5-10 years. I can get down anything on the hill, but I don't have the smoothness, style, and grace that I want on double diamonds and even some single diamonds. I'm not comfortable with any serious air either.

It gets sort of discouraging ending a season and feeling like I haven't made any real progress in my skill level.

I would love to understand how to keep progressing and eventually get to that elite sort of level that I know some of you guys have!

Competitive background for me, but in other types of skiing. I just always loved it, not so much competition and training but going out and exploring, having fun, skiing with my dad and my friends and everyone just pushing each other. Sometimes it leads to hilarious mistakes and sometimes it leads to broken equipment and injuries.

heavyfuel
09-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Chester
Picked up some new Union SL bindings, pumped to try em

http://www.evo.com/imgp/1500/56423.Color.Hardgoods_BlackWhite_Image.jpg

I got Union Forces last year, pretty amazing. I never liked that toe cup setup but with these it seemed to be different, and increased my confidence and steerability on double blacks quite a bit.

Looks like I'm sitting this one out, seeing the surgeon in 7 days and ACL rebuild anyday after that. That's ok- gonna give 'er with the rehab, and stay focused on how awesome it's gonna be when I don't have to put that knee brace on anymore!

lee88
09-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Just bought some new gear so excited! :love: 2014 forum destroyer camber and 2014 union force bindings. http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab244/flipteck/PhotoGrid_1378273834277_zps35b631cc.jpg

a61z
09-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Competitive background for me, but in other types of skiing. I just always loved it, not so much competition and training but going out and exploring, having fun, skiing with my dad and my friends and everyone just pushing each other. Sometimes it leads to hilarious mistakes and sometimes it leads to broken equipment and injuries.
Thanks for the insight. Most of my friends are intermediate at best, so maybe I'm just not pushing myself out of my comfort zone often enough. I guess I just got to wondering if maybe most of those really good skiers have some sort of background/foundations that I'm simply missing. For now I'll just work on being more adventurous and getting some extra bruises this season haha :nut:

lasimmon
09-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Currently riding Rocker 2's with marker dukes.

Anyone have any suggestions on a set up for back country touring? Looking for lighter and a good quality ski.

TIA

Chester
09-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

I got Union Forces last year, pretty amazing. I never liked that toe cup setup but with these it seemed to be different, and increased my confidence and steerability on double blacks quite a bit.

Awesome. I've had the same gear for years, so it should be interesting when I get out on these.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-04-2013, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the insight. Most of my friends are intermediate at best, so maybe I'm just not pushing myself out of my comfort zone often enough. I guess I just got to wondering if maybe most of those really good skiers have some sort of background/foundations that I'm simply missing. For now I'll just work on being more adventurous and getting some extra bruises this season haha :nut:

I found I learn the best when I'm doing something I've never done before or really being pushed by someone or something. Getting a little uncomfortable and dealing with it seems to help.

CivicTunr
09-04-2013, 04:11 PM

I found I learn the best when I'm doing something I've never done before or really being pushed by someone or something. Getting a little uncomfortable and dealing with it seems to help.

This, push yourself. With skiing I can do doubles but I can't do chutes. So I practice turning really tight on the wide open doubles sometimes to get me ready for chutes.

a61z
09-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Good advice, thanks guys. I'll try spending more time off on my own just trying different things and pushing further out of my comfort zone.

asp integra
09-05-2013, 11:57 AM
I literally learned just by watching really good skiers back in the day and trying to keep up. Skiing with a good group helps alot as well. the main thing is to find your comfort zone and start getting out of it, find things that scare you and focus more on the fact that you have the ability to do it and less on the fact that you dont think you can do it cause it looks scary. Once you start to do that alot more terrain, features and speed will come easier and be opened up to you.

heavyfuel
09-05-2013, 12:04 PM

This, push yourself. With skiing I can do doubles but I can't do chutes. So I practice turning really tight on the wide open doubles sometimes to get me ready for chutes.

You can also pick a tight line thru the trees. Once you got that down and you're confident turning when you have to and being able to make those split second decisions, you'll adapt to different conditions and the mindfuck of a narrow chute will go away and you'll rip it down.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-10-2013, 11:13 AM
If anyone needs some new stuff and doesnt mind last years gear, head down to ski cellar asap. I got some new snowpants and mittens for 50% off because it was last years stuff and honestly who cares about having the newest stuff? Still lots of selection of everything too!

cam_wmh
09-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by lee88
2014 forum destroyer camber

Interesting. Burton pulled the plug on Forum 2 years ago. Team has been dissolved.

Where did you buy this?

a61z
09-10-2013, 02:43 PM
If anyone needs some new stuff and doesnt mind last years gear, head down to ski cellar asap. I got some new snowpants and mittens for 50% off because it was last years stuff and honestly who cares about having the newest stuff? Still lots of selection of everything too!
website says sale starts friday... is stuff already discounted?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-10-2013, 03:26 PM

website says sale starts friday... is stuff already discounted?

I was there two days ago and all of last years stuff was 50% off and even some of the 2014 gear was 20% off.

I learned about it through the mail though so it may have been one of those loyal customer things they mail out ahead of time.

98brg2d
09-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Damn, can't believe this made it to two pages before I saw it. Ski season never ended in my mind this year!

Quiver:

Hard snow: Rossi Avenger 82 carbon (axial tpi2 system binding)
Most days: Salomon Shogun with STH14, alpine trekkers if I want to do a short tour
Touring days/powder in Banff: Movement Goliath Sluff with Marker tour f12, BD ascension skins (probably need to be replaced this year, looking at G3 high traction with twin tip connectors)
Tight trees/slow pow skiing: K2 seths (first year of rocker) with Head PRD 12 bindings
Big days: Praxis GPO in a custom flex - :bigpimp: :devil: no bindings yet, thinking aero toe Head PRD 14, STH14s, Peak 15 or FKS/Pivot 14s. Not sure of the mounting I want so am leaning toward the PRDs so I can figure out my favorite spot. Thinking of maybe using quiver killers on these.

Boots: Dalbello Scorpion for all days but I need to do something different for touring as these are brutal for anything longer than 5-km round trip. Just about killed myself on Surprise pass last year. Skating across Lake Louise with race boots on = stupid.

I have really been looking at a new inbounds jacket, something more substantial like the Salomon Sideways 3L (fits me great). The ultra light 3L shell is not working well for me when I have to sit on a chair.

JRSC00LUDE
09-11-2013, 05:15 PM
I haven't bought a new board in years but my last Fernie adventure has made it an urgent matter now....... :D

I always rode Burton till I switched to a Ride for my last board, what's everyone love these days? I've been riding an all mountain 163.....I think I want to stay there (lengthwise) and then maybe buy a park ride for when I'm in the mood.

Thoughts?

heavyfuel
09-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Looks like knee surgery isn't till March or hopefully February. Shouldn't be hard to top 19 days this year.

ramminghard
09-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I haven't bought a new board in years but my last Fernie adventure has made it an urgent matter now....... :D

I always rode Burton till I switched to a Ride for my last board, what's everyone love these days? I've been riding an all mountain 163.....I think I want to stay there (lengthwise) and then maybe buy a park ride for when I'm in the mood.

Thoughts?
Never Summer! I have converted a few people now after swapping boards with them.

asp integra
09-17-2013, 02:15 PM
starting to get excited, picked up the new Freeskier the other day and now I am in full on winter fever! Stopped by Fresh today and saw some new gear including the new Armadas, damn I wish I had some extra cash at the moment cause there are some gorgeous skis in the years line up!

lasimmon
09-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
starting to get excited, picked up the new Freeskier the other day and now I am in full on winter fever! Stopped by Fresh today and saw some new gear including the new Armadas, damn I wish I had some extra cash at the moment cause there are some gorgeous skis in the years line up!

What did they have kicking around? Is it worth going to take a look? I came into some money and wouldnt mind picking up a new set of planks.

lee88
09-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by cam_wmh

Interesting. Burton pulled the plug on Forum 2 years ago. Team has been dissolved.

Where did you buy this?

I bought the 2014 Forum Destroyer from New Zealand. The board was a limited release only in the southern hemisphere. 2014 is the last year for Forum destroyer and a collectors piece.

poison
09-17-2013, 04:01 PM
picked up another pair of forces at that source sale and some new pants and goggles..riding the 2012 trice horsepower and nug..cant wait! definitely hitting up sunshine the most but going to try to make it to Fernie and possibly Revy if I can get up early enough to drive out there :poosie:

asp integra
09-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

What did they have kicking around? Is it worth going to take a look? I came into some money and wouldnt mind picking up a new set of planks.

What kind of ski are you looking for? They had the entire new Armada lineup in, and a few other skis, rossi super 7 and nordica rory bushfield pro model. The Armadas looked awesome though

googe
09-17-2013, 09:17 PM

Thoughts?

It's kind of hard to get good feedback on snowboards, everybody tends to just love what they spent a lot of money on, and reviewers/magazines are bought and paid for. I personally don't like Never Summer but that has nothing to do with board quality, just shit that the company has done.

If you're trying out new boards and haven't for a while, be sure to give magnetraction a run. It's definitely overhyped but it is a nice feature if you have realistic expectations. LibTech/GNU (Mervin Mfg) have the patent on it, which kinda sucks because it limits your board options, and their boards are on the expensive side for what you get.

I have been looking into lesser known brands, found one called Smokin who licensed the magnetraction patent so I'm picking up one of their boards this year. I try not to buy new because last year deals are so much better, but I caved this time.

There is another company out of Vancouver called Endeavor (http://endeavorsnowboards.com/) that I've heard good things about, probably one of the last Canadian brands left, but I haven't ridden them. I'm not that good anyway so my recommendation isn't worth shit :D

A good site for reviews is www.angrysnowboarder.com. Except I ignore whatever he says about Echelon because he's friends with them and they buy ads on his site. Other than that, he's the only one that I've seen willing to shit talk a bad board. Most never say anything negative because they get hooked up by the companies and they don't want to bite the hand that feeds.

I also got a Burton Nug at the end of last year, and it's pretty fun, but I wouldn't make it my only board.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Snowing in the mountains today :D

I want to get rid of my roof basket and buy a box this year, but it needs to be able to fit 5 pairs of skis/snowboards. I don't really want to spend $900 on one though, any suggestions where to look? I don't see any wide ones on kijiji.

lee88
09-18-2013, 12:19 PM
The hitch shop has a sale on roof boxes but that was two weeks ago when I was getting a hitch installed. Give them a call and inquire

asp integra
09-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Snowing in the mountains today :D

I want to get rid of my roof basket and buy a box this year, but it needs to be able to fit 5 pairs of skis/snowboards. I don't really want to spend $900 on one though, any suggestions where to look? I don't see any wide ones on kijiji.

buddy has the thule boxster and the thing is amazing. We had probably 6-7 pairs of fat pow skis in there and a snowboard for a revy trip a few years ago. stupid thing is people price them on kijiji for so much!

Also, SNOW! http://cameras.skibanff.com/136s

heavyfuel
09-19-2013, 06:40 AM
Roof boxes/racks are gaaaaaaaayyyyyyy as fuck and such a rip off, another reason I dumped my car lol $500 for a basic rack, just ridiculous

lilmira
09-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Roof box is more for function than a fashion statement. It's nice to not have your gear covered in dirt.

But no, I won't prefer to drive around town with a roof box. It'll be coming off the moment I'm done with it. Heck, I don't even leave my crossbars on.

a social dsease
09-19-2013, 08:18 AM
+1 on the roofbox. I can fit 5 pairs of skis/boards + poles + boots in there, its awesome. No mud in the car and more room for the occupants.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-19-2013, 08:19 AM
I found a Packasport 90 for $400 ill probably buy off kijiji. It will probably look huge on the roof of my car :nut:

asp integra
09-19-2013, 01:53 PM
I found a Packasport 90 for $400 ill probably buy off kijiji. It will probably look huge on the roof of my car :nut:

Buddy is selling this: http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/showthread.php?26594-FS-Inno-Low-Down-Cruiser-Roof-Box

asp integra
09-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Roof boxes/racks are gaaaaaaaayyyyyyy as fuck and such a rip off, another reason I dumped my car lol $500 for a basic rack, just ridiculous

Originally posted by lilmira
Roof box is more for function than a fashion statement. It's nice to not have your gear covered in dirt.

But no, I won't prefer to drive around town with a roof box. It'll be coming off the moment I'm done with it. Heck, I don't even leave my crossbars on.

I disagree, I think roof racks/boxes look great on cars, maybe not every car but I think they add to alot of them!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/5037473583_a55ac5e3b3_z.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/ledzepp39/IMG_0012_zpsb67d73e8.jpg
http://www.gtspirit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Jon-Olssons-PPI-R8-Razor-GTR.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/931311_594049430942_453610249_n.jpg

heavyfuel
09-20-2013, 07:25 AM
^^^ LOL to each their own I guess hahahaha I'm gonna go with gay as fuck on that one. Right up there with the goggles hanging off the rearview lmao

Canmorite
09-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Definitely want to pick up a box/rack for my STi. A box painted WRB to match would be sick haha :thumbsup:

lint
09-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Are there any hard case hitch mounted carriers?

bh87
09-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by lint
Are there any hard case hitch mounted carriers?

The only one I can think of is this:

Thule Cargo Box (http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/carriers-and-racks/boxes-and-baskets/rear-mounted-cargo/thule-transporter-665c-_-31144)

Called the Thule Transporter, but I dont think it is long enough for ski's/snowboards

asp integra
09-20-2013, 03:20 PM
^^^ LOL to each their own I guess hahahaha I'm gonna go with gay as fuck on that one. Right up there with the goggles hanging off the rearview lmao

I can agree with you on the goggle from the rearview, very gay

googe
09-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Fortunately anyone over 15 doesn't really have to concern themselves with whether or not some kid on the internet thinks their transportation to the ski hill "looks gay". Nobody cares where your Thule box is or what it looks like. What a dumb fucking comment.

I'll definitely be getting one this year. Not a fan of the hitch mounted one though, just because of how far it sticks out on the back. Seems like it could make parking an issue.

01RedDX
09-21-2013, 12:10 PM

heavyfuel
09-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Adding 20 cu. ft of extra hauling and storage to a car = smart.

Commuting in a 10,000 lb vehicle that's meant to haul freight = dumb.

Justifying having a truck just to carry snow gear is beyond dumb.

Spending $500+ on a roof rack/box when you have a capable 4x4 that's paid in full = dumbest.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Well I bought one of those Inno boxes $$$

89s1
09-21-2013, 06:09 PM

Spending $500+ on a roof rack/box when you have a capable 4x4 that's paid in full = dumbest.

Learn to read, then refer to his second point.

Then his third. :rolleyes:

KeepItGully
09-21-2013, 06:21 PM

Why do you even post?
Nobody gives a shit on your opinion of what's cool and what is not.
Thules are great for people who travel to the mountains with friends.
I'm sure your shit box handles your single set of skis just fine.

ExtraSlow
09-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Spending $60,000 on a diesel penis extender when you rent your home = dumbest.
Fixed that for you.

heavyfuel
09-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by KeepItGully

Why do you even post?
Nobody gives a shit on your opinion of what's cool and what is not.
Thules are great for people who travel to the mountains with friends.
I'm sure your shit box handles your single set of skis just fine.

Lmao Thules are ugly as shit lol

asp integra
09-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Well I bought one of those Inno boxes $$$

nice! which one did u get?

Redlyne_mr2
09-21-2013, 10:18 PM
I've run a conventional ski rack almost all my life. I'm finally going to get a box because my gear just gets destroyed from all the shit they put on the road today. THe bases dry out and the edges rust. I'm looking forward to having a box, it's going on a 4x4 if anyone cares. :dunno:

CivicTunr
09-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Yeah im also going to buy one for my 07 subaru legacy wagon. Where is the best place to go? Or would you just try to kijiji score one? I am looking for one that can hold 4-5 sets of skis/boards and possibly some gear.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-23-2013, 08:24 AM

nice! which one did u get?

Shadow 16, $940 new at Racks Unlimited. Comes with a 5 year warranty and opens from both side which is handy. It was the shortest box that would hold me 189cm Pettitors.

asp integra
09-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Freshtival lineup and tickets now available!

http://www.freshtival.ca/

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Freshtival lineup and tickets now available!

http://www.freshtival.ca/

Excellent. Time to buy my tickets!

heavyfuel
09-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Yup. Bought tickets to McConkey. That guy was awesome.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Whats the best place to get a base grind done in town? I should probably do at least my Pettitors and Bacons this year, they have never been tuned before.

heavyfuel
09-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Big D's :thumbsup: http://www.wyracket.com/ always happy with the results.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Got my copy of Tracing Skylines in the mail today, can't wait to watch it after work.

lasimmon
09-28-2013, 11:46 AM

What kind of ski are you looking for? They had the entire new Armada lineup in, and a few other skis, rossi super 7 and nordica rory bushfield pro model. The Armadas looked awesome though

Yah finally went down to take a look. The bubba's looked reallll nice. Not sure I want to go 190 though. A little long for me.

Might head back down... Buddy was saying they should be getting more stock over the next few weeks..

98brg2d
09-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Whats the best place to get a base grind done in town?

The two best are either Lou's or Felix Ski Service. Lou's farms it out to a couple of world cup tech's in Canmore, Felix is in-house.

I don't think either are the fastest and I do not know if either are doing tunes yet this year (the best are generally doing this seasonally in Canada as they follow the world cup training to NZ and SA and then back here for the Lake Louise race).

I have had bad tunes from Ski Cellar and Techno Sport on 17th. Both pretty much just ran the skis through the grinder and sharpened the side edge with no attention to hanging burrs. I even had a couple pairs of skis come back with significant structuring carried over onto the edge which means they didn't flatten the base properly before grinding the structure into the base - this will kill their stones quickly and a lot of people will end up with crappy tunes before they replace those stones not to mention the skis ski like shit. Take a look at a newly prepped factory edge, it is nice and shiny and almost polished - that is the way it should look after a good tune, it shouldn't have a bunch of texture or changes in shine (dull and shiny spots) along the edge.

Both shops seem to think having the top end equipment is a quality replacement for hand tuning but it is not, faster yes, but is usually much shittier.

Ek9Max
10-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Stoked!

Picked up all new gear this year.

14 Lib Banana magic
14 ride El Hefe bindings
14 Nike Lunarendor boots.

Got one of those passport ski passes. Hopefully get out 40-50 times this year.

heavyfuel
10-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Picked up my Sunshine pass yesterday. Going for a lot more days than last year!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-09-2013, 07:33 PM
FML McConkey is sold out for Freshtival, anybody willing to sell some tickets? I want an excuse to wear my saucer boy shirt one last time before I frame it!

JRSC00LUDE
10-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by googe
There is another company out of Vancouver called Endeavor (http://endeavorsnowboards.com/) that I've heard good things about, probably one of the last Canadian brands left, but I haven't ridden them. I'm not that good anyway so my recommendation isn't worth shit :D

I ended up going with an Endeavour, bought the Next 165.

Small step up from my last 163 but looks like it'll be awesome!

I'll just maybe have to buy a shorter board for park style days but I'm pretty excited to throw this thing down the hill!

http://endeavorsnowboards.com/portfolio/next/

Redlyne_mr2
10-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Cant wait for Freshtival!

Then opening week at Nakiska!!!!

asp integra
10-16-2013, 08:28 PM
stoked for freshtival over the next 2 nights, heading to the late shows.
im going to a wedding in canmore on saturday so i wont be able to attend the sat shows/after party though which is always the best day.

Cant wait to put my Louise pass to work this year!

Redlyne_mr2
10-16-2013, 10:25 PM
ya late shows are always a party.. love the laughs... see you there Ben.

CivicTunr
10-16-2013, 10:53 PM
When's Nakisha open? Before Louise and sunshine? (Ie nov 10)

Redlyne_mr2
10-17-2013, 07:05 AM
October 26

dubhead
10-17-2013, 07:21 AM
Grabbed my Louise seasons pass last week and ordered a new setup from thinkempire.com consisting of:

2013- Capita Ultra fear board
2013- Union Contact bindings
2013- forum kicker boots

All for less than a 2014 Ultra fear!

Bring on the snow!!

heavyfuel
10-17-2013, 09:14 AM
McConkey tonight! Who else is going?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-17-2013, 09:34 AM
McConkey tonight! Who else is going?

I would be if I could find fucking tickets!

JRSC00LUDE
10-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Bindings are my next consideration, should likely get new ones.

Who loves what?

(snowboard)

cam_wmh
10-17-2013, 11:12 AM

Who loves what?

(snowboard)

Honestly, it's hard to f*ck up bindings nowadays. Burton has their proprietary mounting, so you may be stuck with them, if your board is newer Burton.

Otherwise, Union/Technine/Ride etc; aren't too different.

These aren't Preston Quick Release Baseless circa '92.

I ride Unions, but don't swear by them like I do Mervin decks.

wintonyk
10-17-2013, 03:41 PM
i have missed the past two seasons looking forward to being in Canada for the season again. Just confirmed 3 days in Fernie for end of January. Will be looking to do day/weekend trips to revy and KH too.

dubhead
10-17-2013, 05:28 PM

Who loves what?

(snowboard)

Union bindings are made of top quality materials and have near zero warranty returns. Technines have never let me down but really aren't anything special and kinda on the heavy side.

Go for last seasons bindings as binding tech changes very little season to season. Hell besides the strap my 4+ year old technines are identical to the 2014's

jacky4566
10-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Flow bindings.
http://www.flow.com/Products/Bindings

Greatest switch i made.
Once you get used to jumping in the other side you are way faster than the slowboarders who have to sit and strap in.

heavyfuel
10-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Union Forces all the way. Guess that makes me a slowboarder.

Not.

JRSC00LUDE
10-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Great input, thanks guys!

I'm starting to second guess going with a directional board, I've never had one! I think I need to buy a twin as a backup Hahaha

Who rides directional? I want it for fast and steep and deep but what happens when the only way to save an air is to land switch? Is it going to buck me?

dubhead
10-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Great input, thanks guys!

I'm starting to second guess going with a directional board, I've never had one! I think I need to buy a twin as a backup Hahaha

Who rides directional? I want it for fast and steep and deep but what happens when the only way to save an air is to land switch? Is it going to buck me?

Really depends on how directional it is but hard pack shouldn't be a problem landing switch in pow might be another story though.

JRSC00LUDE
10-17-2013, 08:35 PM
It's an Endeavor Next 165, I guess we'll find out! I'm just really used to throwing into switch if I need to and charging a few turns out of it before I switch back. Kind of freaked about old habits kicking in at high speed with ugly results haha

CivicTunr
10-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by dubhead

Union bindings are made of top quality materials and have near zero warranty returns. Technines have never let me down but really aren't anything special and kinda on the heavy side.

Go for last seasons bindings as binding tech changes very little season to season. Hell besides the strap my 4+ year old technines are identical to the 2014's

Did technine get rid of their lifetime warranty? Thats why i bought mine back in the day. And they replaced them when they the rubber was coming off, but that might've been mission snow doing that out of the goodness of their heart.

wintonyk
10-18-2013, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Flow bindings.
http://www.flow.com/Products/Bindings

Greatest switch i made.
Once you get used to jumping in the other side you are way faster than the slowboarders who have to sit and strap in.

i rode flow system for 1 day and hated it. besides most the time i just strap in as i ride off the chair.

been riding the technine MFM pro models and still love em. I have the ones from about 8 years ago on my beater board and 3 years ago on my big mountain board. only issues i ever had were the ladders snapping in minus 30. got them replaced without issue.

asp integra
10-18-2013, 11:19 AM
McConkey movie was awesome, but sad in a way because you knew how it would end. Great tribute to an innovator though and the crowd loved it!

heavyfuel
10-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Surprised we even made it there and back lol so much douchebaggery on the roads. On the way there EB at Bowness/Home Road, some Ram 1500 was tailgating me then at the lights, drove right over the corner to proceed SB on Home Road, just as the Jeep to my left flat out ran the red light! GF and I were like WTF then in Parkdale, another 1500 weaving doing at least 120 lol then on the way back, NB on Crowchild exiting onto WB Memorial, some Ford focus did a left to right swoop and cut me right off by like 10 feet onto the off ramp.

But ya was a good movie, not gonna lie I teared up when I saw how awesome he was with his daughter. Wish my daughter cared about snow sports. (sports in general actually) Other than that the crowd reminded me of why I ski alone 99% of the time and how it all makes perfect sense lol

googe
10-18-2013, 02:29 PM
I think McConkey was kind of a dick for still doing it after having a daughter.