PDA

View Full Version : Laminate floor question

snoop101
08-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Just a few question because I know a lot of people have installed Laminate in their house.

I live on the 4th floor of a condo. I know with normal laminate I need to use "condo approved" underlay, but what if I buy laminate that already has the foam on the bottom. Is that good enough? I assume "condo approved" (sales person said it) is just for noise dampening.

Is a laminate cutter and jig saw all I need. I think im going to go with 12mm planks as the 8mm seems to artificial and cheap.

So far I have looked at Costco. Awesome price for the quality, but not the best selection. Yesterday I went to timbertown in the SE. Lots to choose from, but saleperson I found to be a bit rude. Like it was a big thing to answer a question. Any other places to check out?

Kloubek
08-30-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm don't think "condo approved" is really a specific product or standard level. Bottom line: If you have something that properly reduces the noise you should be ok. Yes, some laminates include the foam on the bottom but I highly doubt those are as good as quality underlayment.

Laminate cutter or mitre saw and jig saw is fine. Also an install kit with block, etc is handy since sometimes you need to force the pieces together to avoid gaps.

Check out Home Improvement Warehouse on Centre Avenue in the NE. Great pricing there.

FishPoo
08-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Condos usually have a by-law stating what the minimum underlay required is or at least mine did, I'd check and confirm as it usually requires condo approval too....

snoop101
08-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by FishPoo
Condos usually have a by-law stating what the minimum underlay required is or at least mine did, I'd check and confirm as it usually requires condo approval too....

Good thinking. I just called and they said as long as it has something it will be fine. There is no set in stone guide lines.

Granted I would probably want to use something decent anyways just to dampen the sound more.

CD007
08-30-2013, 12:59 PM
The installer that did mine said that Costco stuff is good quality and easy to install.

bulaian
08-30-2013, 01:25 PM
I just installed Laminate into my Condo over Christmas. The 8mm really is garbage so I went with 12mm stuff too. If you haven't bought stuff yet, check out Lowe's. They had a really good selection, compare to Home Depot, Rona, Totem, etc. 2-3 choices of underlay also.

I found a mitre saw on sale at Home depot, so I bought that. You'll want to have a rubber hammer and save some of the end/side pieces to help you fit in the tight pieces in corners and stuff. No need to buy the "laminate install kit" that most stores will try to sell you on. Umm what else did I need? Lots of pencils and a sharpener to mark pieces to cut, ruler, measuring tape. A pry bar to remove your baseboards.

01RedDX
08-30-2013, 01:39 PM

DENZILDON
08-30-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm actually almost on the flooring work for my basement. If you do need underlay the DMX 1 step underlay seems to be the best back for the buck you could use.

snoop101
09-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Good morning folks.

So got most of the house done. Just a couple more areas to go. One being the kitchen.

I got a question though. When you go into a smaller area do you break the pattern to be able to have full boards or try to keep the pattern, but then have smaller boards which are less sturdy?