PDA

View Full Version : Are wheel spacers/adapters safe to run?

Nismo_R34
08-31-2013, 12:45 PM
I was looking into these to give my car a more flush look. But I am having trust issues with these things. Does anyone here run them or know if they are reliable? I don't think the washer spacers are to safe considering they eliminate threads and leave very little to bolt the wheel on. The adapters looks safer, but I just don't want my wheels falling off.

anybody with experience?

eglove
08-31-2013, 12:54 PM
I used 7mm spacers on my old s2000 for over a year and had no problems at all. The bigger ones 10mm+ should have their own threads and in should be a bit more "safe"

Modelexis
08-31-2013, 01:09 PM
when I added spacers I did it properly by replacing all the studs with extended ARP studs.

spacerz
08-31-2013, 01:12 PM
Make sure you get a decent brand if you are getting bolt on spacers. My friend was running 25mm Inchiba's and had two lug's shear off of the adapter itself.

I would recommend grabbing some extended lugs and buying slip on's.

VW337
08-31-2013, 01:49 PM
I ran 20mm spacers with longer bolts (vw's don't use studs) for two years and had zero issues. I now have 20mm 5x100 to 5x120 adapters on all four corners and I've still never had an issue.

Graham_A_M
08-31-2013, 09:04 PM
The biggest thing is to make sure their torqued to spec. I ran spacers, and didn't do that... I didn't have a wheel fall off, but quite close. :nut:

Quite a valuable lesson learned that day.

DeleriousZ
08-31-2013, 09:24 PM
Torqued to spec, hubcentric, good brand. I've definitely heard mixed reviews from the Ichiba stuff. I've been running them for a while without issue though.

I've also heard of huge hp builds running spacers/adapters for years without issue, so as long as you do it right they're just fine.

benyl
08-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Why don't you just buy wheels that fit?

962 kid
08-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Unless ordering custom sizing, wheels aren't always available in favourable offsets for a particular model. Nothing wrong with spacers if the thread length is there - Porsche have been doing it for years

DeleriousZ
08-31-2013, 10:14 PM

It's definitely nice to be able to buy wheels that fit, but sometimes a great deal comes along on wheels that need a bit of spacing to get them to sit where you want them to.

Example: You really want work emotion xd-9's because you like the spokes and the dish. Their +20 model will fit your car great, but some +38's come along for a great deal so you pick those up. No reason to pass them up, lip size is the same and you save a bunch of cash. Drop $150 on some spacers and you're gravy.

Nismo_R34
09-02-2013, 09:23 PM

Well because I like my wheels and I don't really have 2000 or more to spend on another set of wheels. But I was interested in spacers because with them I can have a perfect fit. But I never used them so don't know if they are safe.

asp integra
09-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by VW337
I ran 20mm spacers with longer bolts (vw's don't use studs) for two years and had zero issues. I now have 20mm 5x100 to 5x120 adapters on all four corners and I've still never had an issue.

Ditto, ran 20mm rear spacers in my R last year with no problems, and now with my new wheels I am running 8mm adaptors upfront and 20mm in the rear, no problems.

The main thing is dont cheap out, get a good brand thats tested and approved, TUV etc, and you shouldnt have any problems

Freestylin
09-02-2013, 09:49 PM
I have the Ichiba spacers for close to a year now and I've had no issues. No vibrations, wheel wobbles, or a wheel falling off. I have both the Version 1 (regular) and Version 2 (bolt-on type) spacers for my car. For the Version 1, make sure you get the extended wheel studs and also ensure that the spacers are hub centric. If you are using Version 2 the bolt-on type, make sure you torque the bolts to specifications and you should be fine. Re-torque both the spacers and wheels after 100 miles like usual after installation.

.jl-
09-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Freestylin
I have the Ichiba spacers for close to a year now and I've had no issues. No vibrations, wheel wobbles, or a wheel falling off. I have both the Version 1 (regular) and Version 2 (bolt-on type) spacers for my car. For the Version 1, make sure you get the extended wheel studs and also ensure that the spacers are hub centric. If you are using Version 2 the bolt-on type, make sure you torque the bolts to specifications and you should be fine. Re-torque both the spacers and wheels after 100 miles like usual after installation.

+1, I've had Ichiba v2 spacers for over a year now and have had no issues with them

BananaFob
09-03-2013, 10:01 AM
I run +25mm H&R spacers with my stock RX-8 wheels :> No issues yet.

Hallowed_point
09-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by BananaFob
I run +25mm H&R spacers with my stock RX-8 wheels :> No issues yet.

x2 same setup on my Camaro with C5 wheels

msommers
09-03-2013, 10:24 AM
If you're going to run spacers, don't cheap out. H&R spacers and/or ARP studs are the way to go.

nismodrifter
09-03-2013, 11:04 PM
25mm H&R adapters on my LM's for the past 6+ years I think. Not an issue to speak of.

Cheeba
09-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
Torqued to spec, hubcentric, good brand . . . I've also heard of huge hp builds running spacers/adapters for years without issue, so as long as you do it right they're just fine.

This. Spacers are used lots in racing, and some Porsches even come from the factory with them. As long as they're machined well and you use proper fasteners (grade, length, head seat, torquing methodology, etc.), spacers are perfectly safe.