View Full Version : Review: Kart School at Allen Berg Racing School

rage2
09-05-2013, 09:06 AM
http://www.beyond.ca/review-kart-school-at-allen-berg-racing-school/28879.html

http://www.beyond.ca/wp-content/uploads/allen-berg-racing-school-review-07.jpg

http://www.beyond.ca/wp-content/uploads/allen-berg-racing-school-review-04.jpg

flipstah
09-05-2013, 09:14 AM
I did Kart School when they had that Groupon and it was hella fun!

Maxed that puppy out and way funner to handle than Speeders.

I still have our group picture somewhere with my bright-ass orange racing shoes. :rofl:

rage2
09-05-2013, 09:31 AM
I had a few friends do the Groupon deal, and I believe it was only for 30 minutes? You really need to do a full day there to truly get comfortable with the karts and max out your speed and laptimes.

It's too bad I wasn't in better shape before doing the full day, it was seriously tough trying to go all out by the last 2 sessions. Sore for 2 days afterwards lol.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-05-2013, 09:31 AM
I did the kart school with Allen Berg back in 2010 I think it was, absolutely fantastic, would do again if I had the time and money!

Tik-Tok
09-05-2013, 09:40 AM
I've been wanting to go to them for years, but can never find the loose change to go. One of these days. Maybe our next L.A. trip (it's easier to swallow the money when you're on vacation :rofl: )

AudiPWR
09-05-2013, 09:47 AM
I'd love to go but $900 for my GF and I to go karting just seems a little insane.

I was meaning to buy the groupon when it was up, but totally forgot by the time it had expired.

a61z
09-05-2013, 09:55 AM
would be interesting to hear from some of the people in the non-advanced group; sounds like people had very different experiences?

rage2
09-05-2013, 10:03 AM
My brother went 2 weeks after we did, and he was stuck with a group of people that's never been to the track before. One guy decked out in Red Bull F1 gear brought his 2 teenaged daughters out, and they didn't even want to be there. The first few sessions everyone was spinning except my brother, and they would slow everyone down so it was impossible to get any clean laps in to learn the track, so the guys there banned any trail braking. Afterwards, the drivers were still slow, and with track workers dealing with spins, there was nobody waving blue flags at the 1 and only passing zone so it was impossible to get clean laps in. He pretty much had to wait till the last 2 sessions to clock some real laptimes. On the bright side, the 2 daughters were blonde and hot. :rofl:

With that being said, it's all luck of the draw who's in the class, so if you're lucky like us you'll get good speeds right off the bat if nobody is spinning and nobody is in your way. You can also book a private day with 12 or so friends to ensure that you only have good drivers there.

flipstah
09-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I had a few friends do the Groupon deal, and I believe it was only for 30 minutes? You really need to do a full day there to truly get comfortable with the karts and max out your speed and laptimes.

It's too bad I wasn't in better shape before doing the full day, it was seriously tough trying to go all out by the last 2 sessions. Sore for 2 days afterwards lol.

Ours was an hour or so; bought two sessions and we booked it off back-to-back so that all of our friends occupied that timeslot and just ripped the shit out of it.

a61z
09-05-2013, 11:46 AM
My brother went 2 weeks after we did, and he was stuck with a group of people that's never been to the track before. One guy decked out in Red Bull F1 gear brought his 2 teenaged daughters out, and they didn't even want to be there. The first few sessions everyone was spinning except my brother, and they would slow everyone down so it was impossible to get any clean laps in to learn the track, so the guys there banned any trail braking. Afterwards, the drivers were still slow, and with track workers dealing with spins, there was nobody waving blue flags at the 1 and only passing zone so it was impossible to get clean laps in. He pretty much had to wait till the last 2 sessions to clock some real laptimes. On the bright side, the 2 daughters were blonde and hot. :rofl:

With that being said, it's all luck of the draw who's in the class, so if you're lucky like us you'll get good speeds right off the bat if nobody is spinning and nobody is in your way. You can also book a private day with 12 or so friends to ensure that you only have good drivers there.
That would be frustrating but I imagine that people attending with zero track experience would be pretty rare I guess. Just bad luck.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-05-2013, 11:57 AM

Yeah when we went, it was my dad and 4 of his friends who all drive sports cars and know what they were doing and myself and my best friend and nobody else on track. Free lapping all day, I was exhausted after doing that and my arms where killing me. 1 hour drive to get there in the morning, 5 or 6 hours on the track, 2 hours back across the city in long weekend Friday traffic, then 4 hours to a cabin the same night, you can imagine how my arms felt the next day.

lilmira
09-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Don't you guys find it weird driving a few thousand lbs road car right after karting? You feel like pushing it since there is so little feedback then you look at the speedo and like "oh shit! I should slow down before I crash." I can imagine after the whole day session of karting, I probably don't want to drive a car for like half a day.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Don't you guys find it weird driving a few thousand lbs road car right after karting? You feel like pushing it since there is so little feedback then you look at the speedo and like "oh shit! I should slow down before I crash." I can imagine after the whole day session of karting, I probably don't want to drive a car for like half a day.

I didn't find it that hard to transition back, but part of the reason for that is the karts are so small that its just completely different.

I find it way harder to transition between my dads Caterham and a normal car like my 135i.

lilmira
09-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I blame power steering. My body is waiting for the same feedback before backing off.

Mibz
09-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Don't you guys find it weird driving a few thousand lbs road car right after karting? First time after going to Speeders I just about understeered the Cayenne into a curb when leaving. Whoops :P

Disoblige
09-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
First time after going to Speeders I understeered the Cayenne into a curb when leaving. Whoops :P
fixed. Don't buy this Cayenne :rofl:

i keed.

know1edge
09-05-2013, 06:37 PM
ha they told us trail braking was for the advanced class :nut: