PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy a tempur pedic mattress?

heavyfuel
09-05-2013, 11:24 AM
So after spending $160 on a pillow and totally in awe at how much better I sleep, I figured my $700 mattress needs replacing. Now I noticed a queen sized tempur pedic was $3000+ at Sleep Country, and a similar one was $1399 at Sears. Are they the same? Am I missing something? This spending money thing on furniture is all new to me. Does anybody know where to get a real tempur pedic mattress with a proper warranty, and what's a good price? I'm not on the grind for the cheapest price but I do know that mattresses are incredibly marked up and I'm not a good negotiator. Looking for some advice.

G
09-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Maybe get your girlfriend to take a stab at negotiating? :dunno:

spikerS
09-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Talk to KVG on here.

spike98
09-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
So after spending $160 on a pillow and totally in awe at how much better I sleep, I figured my $700 mattress needs replacing. Now I noticed a queen sized tempur pedic was $3000+ at Sleep Country, and a similar one was $1399 at Sears. Are they the same? Am I missing something? This spending money thing on furniture is all new to me. Does anybody know where to get a real tempur pedic mattress with a proper warranty, and what's a good price? I'm not on the grind for the cheapest price but I do know that mattresses are incredibly marked up and I'm not a good negotiator. Looking for some advice.

I just fully furnished a new house and here is what i have learned.

Workable deals:

50% off conventional mattresses (spring, pillow top, ect)
30% off on Tempurpedic
30%-35% off of furniture
30% off Appliances
15% off Electronics
2883949839403% off monster brand accessories.

Generally when these items go on sale these are the deals they post. To get 50% off a mattress is easy especially if you bundle with other items. But the Tempurpedic generally doesn't go on sale often but negotiations are still possible. Especially if you go with the extended warranty.

G
09-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by G
Maybe get your girlfriend to take a stab at negotiating? :dunno:

Sorry wrong girlfriend....too many white guys with asian girlfriends on here.:banghead:

ExtraSlow
09-05-2013, 01:26 PM
KVG used to sell those I believe, and he's a super helpful guy.

Asian_defender
09-05-2013, 01:34 PM
The $3000 mattress will be more dense. If you like the firmer feel then that would be your best bet.
If you are looking for a tempur and know what kind of feel you want, let me know. I can hook you up

heavyfuel
09-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by G

Sorry wrong girlfriend....too many white guys with asian girlfriends on here.:banghead:

Lol all good, she's actually a pretty good negotiator seeing as buying advertising is all part of her work, and she usually gets her way. Theoretically, since I'm Italian and she's Asian we should be able to get everything at 95% off lol

dexlargo
09-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Are you stuck on the Tempurpedic brand? I bought my memory-foam mattress from Costco online: http://www.costco.ca/novaform-serafina-memory-foam.html

I bought this one because Consumer Reports recommended it as a 'Best Buy'. In their tests, the Tempurpedic did slightly better, but not enough better to justify the extra cost.

This mattress is a bit firmer than I expected (I'd call it medium firmness), but I really like it and my wife loves it.

The biggest downside to ordering a mattress from Costco is that you can't try them beforehand. That said, their return policy is excellent, so I took the risk and I'm really happy with it.

If you're interested, I could dig up the consumer reports article comparing and testing mattresses and post it. Let me know.

Maxt
09-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by dexlargo
Are you stuck on the Tempurpedic brand? I bought my memory-foam mattress from Costco online: http://www.costco.ca/novaform-serafina-memory-foam.html

I bought this one because Consumer Reports recommended it as a 'Best Buy'. In their tests, the Tempurpedic did slightly better, but not enough better to justify the extra cost.

This mattress is a bit firmer than I expected (I'd call it medium firmness), but I really like it and my wife loves it.

The biggest downside to ordering a mattress from Costco is that you can't try them beforehand. That said, their return policy is excellent, so I took the risk and I'm really happy with it.

If you're interested, I could dig up the consumer reports article comparing and testing mattresses and post it. Let me know.
I bought mine from Costco to.. I don't think I would be successful in repackaging it back in the box to return it..:nut:

heavyfuel
09-05-2013, 06:43 PM

Wow for $899 for a queen, I'd love to read the consumer reports! Thanks!

codetrap
09-05-2013, 06:49 PM
I also bought my novaform from costco, and it's great. Plus I got it on sale for $600 + change.

dexlargo
09-05-2013, 09:58 PM

Wow for $899 for a queen, I'd love to read the consumer reports! Thanks! Okay, but I'm not going to be able to get to it tonight. Tomorrow night I'll get it done.

Originally posted by Maxt

I bought mine from Costco to.. I don't think I would be successful in repackaging it back in the box to return it..:nut: I know, right? I wish I took a video of it expanding after I broke the seal on the bag - that was crazy!

davidI
09-05-2013, 10:47 PM
I had one of those Costco ones as well (after a lot of research) and loved it.

Only bad thing is it can get a bit hot once you've sunk into the memory foam, but I've read that about the tempurpedics too.

heavyfuel
09-06-2013, 06:44 AM
Okay, but I'm not going to be able to get to it tonight. Tomorrow night I'll get it done.

Meh, all good don't sweat it. I'm sure I can find enough info to properly do the homework I need. But thanks anyways!

Originally posted by davidI

Only bad thing is it can get a bit hot once you've sunk into the memory foam, but I've read that about the tempurpedics too.

Yup, that is my main concern with memory foam as well. I'm prepared to spend 3 or 4 k on furniture, decor and electronics within the next 3 weeks anyways ( re doing my daughter's room as well) so even if I decide to go with a traditional mattress, should be able to find something decent.

codetrap
09-06-2013, 07:53 AM
I haven't had any issues with overheating on mine. I also made sure I got the firmest of the bunch. The other thing you might want to do is check the latest flyers from costco, I think I saw something about it going on sale soon.

RX_EVOLV
09-06-2013, 08:39 AM

That's interesting!I just bought that one too because I like the feel of a memory foam mattress but didn't want to spend $2500+ on a tempurpedic. It's getting delivered on Monday. I'll let you guys know what I think after.

E36M3
09-06-2013, 08:56 AM
I didn't think I liked Tempurpedic mattresses until I started sleeping on one and I really noticed a huge difference in the quality of my sleep when I slept on a conventional mattress.

I'd guess that a premium competitor would be worthwhile as the pricing is really excessive. Having said that, if you can hook up 30% off on the one you want, it might be worth the cost.

Costco does seem to stand by their products so as long as you can return it, it seems like a no brainer to give their product a shot given the price difference.

RX_EVOLV
09-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Yeh the costco return policy seems amazing:

"We bought a king Novafoam 1 1/2 years ago. My husband said it was okay. I hated it. It smelled for about 2 months. I called Costco they said it was put on the mattress so rodents don’t eat the foam when it’s in storage. We returned it, no questions asked, at Costco, 1 1/2 years later! Good old Costco makes me happy again! Got a full refund. ..."

ref: http://addictedtocostco.com/2010/03/25/guest-post-mattresses-from-costco/

dexlargo
09-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by davidI

Originally posted by codetrap
I haven't had any issues with overheating on mine. I also made sure I got the firmest of the bunch. The other thing you might want to do is check the latest flyers from costco, I think I saw something about it going on sale soon. I do not get hot on mine either - which I was worried about beforehand. What I had read earlier (and now believe it) is that they've solved that overheating issue in these newer mattresses with the air channels in the foam and the ticking materials - or something. I'm no mattress expert.

davidI, how long ago did you get your memory foam mattress? Do you know which one it was? Do they still make it?

dexlargo
09-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV

That's interesting!I just bought that one too because I like the feel of a memory foam mattress but didn't want to spend $2500+ on a tempurpedic. It's getting delivered on Monday. I'll let you guys know what I think after. Congrats! Which model did you get? Was it the Serafina?

Be aware that it will be quite hard at first. It takes a couple of days for it to fully expand. That didn't stop me from sleeping on it the first night, though.

It was probably a month before mine reached it's final firmness.

One tip I read and tried (and have no way of confirming if it works) is to walk all over the mattress with bare feet to open the cells in the memory foam (or something). Somebody on the US Costco website said that this was the procedure that they used at the mattress stores he worked at to get freshly unpacked foam mattresses ready for testing more quickly. :dunno:

Take a video of that thing expanding!

heavyfuel
09-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Can you physically pick those up from Costco or do you have to have it delivered?

RX_EVOLV
09-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Congrats! Which model did you get? Was it the Serafina?

Be aware that it will be quite hard at first. It takes a couple of days for it to fully expand. That didn't stop me from sleeping on it the first night, though.

It was probably a month before mine reached it's final firmness.

One tip I read and tried (and have no way of confirming if it works) is to walk all over the mattress with bare feet to open the cells in the memory foam (or something). Somebody on the US Costco website said that this was the procedure that they used at the mattress stores he worked at to get freshly unpacked foam mattresses ready for testing more quickly. :dunno:

Take a video of that thing expanding!

Thanks for the tips. I will take a video of it expanding!

I ended up getting the Primafina.

http://www.costco.ca/Primafina-Memory-Foam-Queen-Mattress.product.100042438.html

Partly because it was on sale and partly because of the ultrasoft foam layer. I'm really afraid that it's as firm as the tempurpedic.

RX_EVOLV
09-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Can you physically pick those up from Costco or do you have to have it delivered?

Delivery only. I ordered on Aug 26 and it's getting delivery on Sept 9 in case you are curious on the time.

NoMoreG35
09-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Tempur-pedic all the way bro. U buy something else, u'll need to replace them one day. Trust me....:nut:

msouther
09-06-2013, 05:59 PM
I just got a queen Tempur Pedic from the Brick. $1999 - $100 off coupon I got with my new platinum card + 51" Samsung TV that i sold for $550 on Kijiji sameday.

I traded in my Beautyrest bowling ball bed from them first and had it 30 days. It had already started to cave in and impression. The Tempur Pedic is very firm but the best bed ever. The wife loves it too.

nzwasp
09-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Maxt

I bought mine from Costco to.. I don't think I would be successful in repackaging it back in the box to return it..:nut:

Lol does anyone return stuff to costco in the original box.

I took back some phones recently that broke 5 years ago and the lady asked why I didnt bring it in 4 years ago when they broke and I said "uhhh lazy i guess" she shook her head but I still got my money back.

Regarding the mattress back in april we bought a tempurpedic after seeing that the brick was having a sale on them. We bought from sleep country after getting them to match a similar priced one from the brick however the sleep country version was much better quality than the bricks.

davidI
09-06-2013, 09:02 PM

davidI, how long ago did you get your memory foam mattress? Do you know which one it was? Do they still make it?

I'd bought mine Q1 2009 so things certainly may have been improved over the years!

It was a great mattress and the 'heat' issue wasn't that bad, just thought I'd mention it.

dexlargo
09-07-2013, 12:48 AM
Okay, as I promised yesterday, here is the Consumer Reports Article on mattresses. I'm trying a different image converter to see if the resolution comes out okay. I didn't know it would stamp the images, sorry.

page 1:

dexlargo
09-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Page 2:

dexlargo
09-07-2013, 12:51 AM
etc.

dexlargo
09-07-2013, 12:57 AM
Last one:

heavyfuel
09-07-2013, 10:00 AM
I think I'm gonna go all out and get the Altabello. Can't really see any way you can possibly go wrong given the return policy!

codetrap
09-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by NoMoreG35
Tempur-pedic all the way bro. U buy something else, u'll need to replace them one day. Trust me....:nut: Feel free to piss away your money if you want on a tempur-pedic. When I was looking at them, the tempur was almost 4 times the price of the costco one. Considering our last "brand name" mattress lasted 2 years, I feel I'm pretty ahead of the game even if I have to buy a new novaform every year.

Now, consider that I've had my Novaform for what, 2 years now and it's still awesome? I'm well ahead of the game.

davidI
09-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Feel free to piss away your money if you want on a tempur-pedic. When I was looking at them, the tempur was almost 4 times the price of the costco one. Considering our last "brand name" mattress lasted 2 years, I feel I'm pretty ahead of the game even if I have to buy a new novaform every year.

Now, consider that I've had my Novaform for what, 2 years now and it's still awesome? I'm well ahead of the game.

Yep, 4 years late and my Novaform was still good enough for my parents to use it to replace their $2k+ mattress.

bignerd
09-07-2013, 09:55 PM
We bought a king tempurpedic. Love it. Not hot at all, they have some new stay cool fabric or layer on it that helps---we switched out the bed before it for exactly that reason, way way too hot (was a coil mattress with pillow top).

No complaints yet regarding comfort, I don't usually like a firmer mattress but have no problems with the tempurpedic. As well there is almost zero movement when someone moves around on the bed which is awesome.

The chemical smell the first few days is a little intense but does seem to dissipate quickly.

Never saw the ones at Costco but the Tempur has a 20 year warranty ( so does the one at Costco) so not really worried about the price (don't know if we will keep it 20 years but 10 for sure).

codetrap
09-08-2013, 01:04 AM
Bignerd, if you're happy with it, then you didn't piss away any money. I just hate the cryptic comments from people that are pure FUD.

heavyfuel
09-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Ended up ordering the Serafina. The Altabello sounded like it would be too soft.

heavyfuel
09-18-2013, 10:46 AM
K so my mattress just got here. 14" thick, king size, in a box??? I am so taking a video of this thing expanding. That's absolutely unreal!

ExtraSlow
09-18-2013, 11:19 AM
How much is monthly rent on that thing? :poosie: :poosie:

I kid, I kid, hope you like the mattress man. :goflames:

RX_EVOLV
09-18-2013, 12:24 PM
It is pretty neat how it comes in a box.

RX_EVOLV
09-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Pic 2

spike98
09-18-2013, 12:29 PM
haha i bet 50% of the cost of this mattress is from the purchase of the compression machines just to get the damn thing boxed up.

adidas
09-18-2013, 01:32 PM
If anyone questioned the Costco's return policy....

We purchased a Sealy Posturepedic in July and ended up returning it recently after sleeping on it for less than 2 months due to sagging issues. They took it back without any questions asked, Ive had more trouble returning a $5 t-shirt with tags still attached (not at costco) than I did with this.

We purchased the Altabella once the Sealy was returned. Still waiting for delivery on the Novaform.

spike98
09-24-2013, 02:29 PM
RX_EVOLV, any update how how the mattress sleeps? I am considering picking one up myself.

heavyfuel
09-24-2013, 02:40 PM
I gave it 2 days before I slept on mine. So 3 nights on it so far. Not sure how long they take to fully decompress but the center seems higher, and one side seems to sag a bit more than the other. Right now it's on 2 single box springs on the floor since the bed I bought won't be in stock until the 18th. Once I get the bed I'm gonna give it a few weeks and see if it evens out and if the sides get a bit firmer. If not I may very well return it, and upgrade to the Altabella as I was hoping for something a tad softer. All in all I am sleeping better these last few nights tho. Which doesn't mean much seeing as my previous mattress was some $699 Northeast wholesaler warehouse quality pos lol

spike98
09-24-2013, 03:38 PM
I gave it 2 days before I slept on mine. So 3 nights on it so far. Not sure how long they take to fully decompress but the center seems higher, and one side seems to sag a bit more than the other. Right now it's on 2 single box springs on the floor since the bed I bought won't be in stock until the 18th. Once I get the bed I'm gonna give it a few weeks and see if it evens out and if the sides get a bit firmer. If not I may very well return it, and upgrade to the Altabella as I was hoping for something a tad softer. All in all I am sleeping better these last few nights tho. Which doesn't mean much seeing as my previous mattress was some $699 Northeast wholesaler warehouse quality pos lol

Firm is what i am after so reading that interests me. Right now i have a serta from the brick that i paid quite a bit for. We picked up the medium firmness and it wasn't enough so we traded it for the firm one and it was great for a few weeks but soffened up too much. The wifey and i both have back problems and i hear memory foam is what we should look at.

Given the return policy i might just get one anyways and return it if i dont like it.

dexlargo
09-24-2013, 03:56 PM
I've had the Serafina for a few months now, and I think it took about a month for it to break in. Either that, or it took a month for it to break me in. In any event, after about a month it felt pretty good to me.

Mine is fairly firm, but the layer of memory foam on top gives it enough softness for me.

I don't have any high spots or sagging in mine - are you sure it's not your box springs causing that? If not, I'd return it and get one that doesn't have the sagging/high spots.

RX_EVOLV
09-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by spike98
RX_EVOLV, any update how how the mattress sleeps? I am considering picking one up myself.

I've only had ~ 5 sleeps on it so far since my house is still under reno so I'm not there every night. It's also currently resting on the floor as my bed frame won't be here for another week.

With that said, so far so good. In my opinion it's very comfortable and perfect amount of firmness for me (<tempurpedic), which of course is subjective. I do find the mattress fairly cool at night, and I really love the feel of a memory foam mattress. Will need to spend more nights with it to give a fair assessment but so far all the sleeps have been good. No high spots or sagging.

haunt
09-26-2013, 03:05 PM
I've had the Serafina for a few months now, and I think it took about a month for it to break in. Either that, or it took a month for it to break me in. In any event, after about a month it felt pretty good to me.

Mine is fairly firm, but the layer of memory foam on top gives it enough softness for me.

I don't have any high spots or sagging in mine - are you sure it's not your box springs causing that? If not, I'd return it and get one that doesn't have the sagging/high spots.
Did you consider this one at all before you bought the Serafina?
Novaform 14" Gel memory foam (http://www.costco.ca/Novaform%C2%AE-35.6-cm-(14-in.)-Gel-Memory-Foam-Mattress.product.100031023.html)
Novaform Serafina (http://www.costco.ca/Serafina-Memory-Foam-Queen-Mattress.product.100040227.html)
It's looks like the same exact same thing with the exception of the 3" air channel foam vs. 3" Flextech CustomWave. $669 vs $899 for the queens.

HomespunLobster
09-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Just placed an order for a serafina. 10-15 business days till it arrives.
Been thinking about it for a while, pulled the trigger with the new cc that came in

eblend
09-28-2013, 07:16 PM

So...since you mentioned the pillow...what and where did you get one? Wife told me she wants a fancy pillow for her bday in a few weeks, so would like to get her something. Is there places where you try out the pillows and all that as well?

heavyfuel
09-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by eblend

So...since you mentioned the pillow...what and where did you get one? Wife told me she wants a fancy pillow for her bday in a few weeks, so would like to get her something. Is there places where you try out the pillows and all that as well?

I got it at Sleep Country on Country Hills Blvd, by the Sobeys. Pillow was $120 but I bought a pillow protector too. I tried out a dozen or so pillows.

ExtraSlow
09-28-2013, 09:40 PM
I have a used TempurPedic pillow that I slept on for three nights and decided i didn't like. Have box and all paperwork. PM for details.

codetrap
09-29-2013, 12:39 AM
I bit the bullet and bought some good pillows a couple of years ago, and I have to say I still love them. Latex foam fillow.. not like memory foam exactly, but way more spongy. Still awesome.

http://www.sleepcountry.ca/products/tabid/131/products/62/pillows/sunset-collection-talalay-latex-back-and-stomach/default.aspx

heavyfuel
10-02-2013, 09:20 PM
3 weeks in. Not sleeping so great. Back is sore as fuck each morning. I have a spinal stenosis so I'm never going to be 100% waking up, but I sleep better and feel better waking up on my couch it seems. The bed seems very uneven and showing no signs of evening out. If I sleep in the middle it's good, but towards the edges it will sag/slope noticeably. After 3 weeks it's pretty clear this won't correct itself. When I sit on the edge of the bed to put my socks on, it feels weak and damaged, sinks a good 2/3 of the way to the box spring. I ordered a Sealy Posturpedic Proback from Costco, the Serafina is going back when the new one arrives. Maybe I just got a bad one, maybe memory foam is not the way to go for back problems, this mattress was and is way better than the pos I had before, but all in all I don't recommend it if you have back problems.