PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy satin slate sealer for bathroom?

cidley69
09-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Installing 12" slate tiles in bathroom and tub surround.

Where do they sell a satin gloss sealer?

What's the best brand of sealer?

syscal
09-05-2013, 11:54 PM
I like Custom. Go to Julian over by Silver Dollar. I think Euro will sell to the public too and I know they used to carry it.

cidley69
09-06-2013, 06:01 AM
Been reading online and there seems to be a ton of different products. Any brands better than others?

Should I be asking for 2 types. One for in shower stall and another for high traffic area (mudroom floor)?

Assunta
09-06-2013, 12:47 PM
I've been using Aqua-mix products from Rona. This particular one I've painted on both the shower stall and floors with no issues (min. 3 coats each time). I believe the recommendation is to re-apply yearly.
http://www.rona.ca/en/finish-seal-p6378051

C_Dave45
09-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by cidley69
Been reading online and there seems to be a ton of different products. Any brands better than others?

Should I be asking for 2 types. One for in shower stall and another for high traffic area (mudroom floor)?

They're all good. AquaMix, Tilelab, etc are basically the same shit, different pile. I use Tilelab's "Gloss sealer" only because I like a bit of a shine. There's the "Matte finish" as well.

You don't need a different one for the shower area.

Oh, and just an FYI....Any "sealer" is not to make the grout/tile "waterproof". It's not like you need to do it every year for "waterproofing"...it's strictly a cosmetic issue.

cidley69
09-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Good info thanks.

I've read there are 2 types of sealers, ones the penetrate the rock and ones that stay on top. Like paint vs stain.

Which kind is better?

cidley69
09-09-2013, 06:00 AM
Went to Tera Del Sol tile and bought Stonetech products.

Great store, would highly recommend them. And they gave me 20% off!!!