PDA

View Full Version : Superchrager & turbo on same engine?

LaughingTiger
09-22-2002, 09:39 AM
I didn't know you could put a supercharger and turbocharger
on the same engine???? But this guy did..... and I guess it
worked pretty good....:dunno:

Goto this page, then click on links on the left hand side,
next scroll down about 3/4 of the page and click on
TWIN CHARGERS, then scroll down 1/2 way and click
on "right to twin chargers".. it's interesting...

http://www.twelve100.com/frame.htm

Zephyr
09-22-2002, 10:28 AM
wow so many AE's.......i seen well over 17 AE's around my area in california..all fixed up....man those cars r pretty beast!

James
09-22-2002, 02:58 PM
TwinCharging is nuts! lots of guys down in states do this to there 88-89 supercharged MR2's, and can run 11's in the 1/4.:drool: This Costs alot of $$$, and isnt very good to Daily drive the car, Since its running so much boost and is prone to problems because of this, thats the whole point though, to be able to run over 30 pounds of boost!:nut: the setup looks crazy, several intercoolers etc.. pretty damn confusing!:p

dj_honda
09-22-2002, 06:23 PM
sweet!!
i jus bought an ae-92......although i dont plan on keeping it past next summer, its still awesome and fun to drive

i want a trueno badge for my grill.......anyone knwo where i can get one!!!???

shadowz
09-22-2002, 06:25 PM
There is a silver AE86 in Calgary here twin charged! Wicked car

T5_X
09-22-2002, 07:00 PM
That would be soooo awesome! A turbocharged 4A-GZE in an AE86 :drool: I wanna meet this guy

three.eighteen.
09-22-2002, 08:27 PM
yeah the silver ae86 is owned by the tan family, mike and his dad have been building that project since we were in grade 7 together...its all ghetto-fab too!!! 4agze + IHI RHB5 (?), sds efi management, runs like 15 lbs...not a pretty picture (at the moment) but it feels like 0-60 in about 5-7 secs

ls/vtec-crx
09-23-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
yeah the silver ae86 is owned by the tan family, mike and his dad have been building that project since we were in grade 7 together...its all ghetto-fab too!!! 4agze + IHI RHB5 (?), sds efi management, runs like 15 lbs...not a pretty picture (at the moment) but it feels like 0-60 in about 5-7 secs

Well he just got the supercharged motor last year and then added the turbo before summer started. They've only been workin on if for about a year and a year and a half.

They ran it at the track at a 14.7 with a slipping clutch and only one stock fuel pump. But now their running a new clutch and added a inline fuel pump.

ninjak84
09-23-2002, 11:48 AM
nice! its cool because hopefully the car will stay in good shape throughout the family generations. they obviously seem to like it and take good care of it. tough to think of a more classic import car to pass down the family line than an AE86....

TwnTrbo
09-23-2002, 11:55 AM
Twin Charging a daily driven car is not such a good idea... You will have at least 35-45% more lag than usual... For street racing its great though.

Forced induction is a brilliant idea but more than a turbo and/or a supercharger is needed to achieve awesome results...

T5_X
09-23-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by TwnTrbo
Twin Charging a daily driven car is not such a good idea... You will have at least 35-45% more lag than usual... For street racing its great though.

Isn't the whole point of twincharging to eliminate lag and get nice flat torque curves?

Positive displacement (roots) supercharger forces induction in the low RPM range and a larger turbo takes over at higher RPMs.

Here's how lancia did it on the S4:
http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/lancia/58/strange_car/strange_pic_lancia_s4_charge.jpg

TwnTrbo
09-23-2002, 01:41 PM
Ive never seen or been in a twincharged car, but the idea of relying on 2 methods of forced induction just doesnt appeal to me...

How much power does this car have??...

three.eighteen.
09-23-2002, 02:17 PM
thyre ripping thru diffs like mad too with all the power, so with a nicer clutch and LSD mike thinks they could go deep into the 14s

T5_X
09-23-2002, 04:37 PM
found an awesome site for the twincharged 4A-GZE AE86: http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/lane/1231/
HHHRRRMMMM...... i wonder if this would be a good swap into an RA65?

three.eighteen.
09-23-2002, 10:12 PM
a ride in the tan ae is pretty lag free actually, with a fairly small fast spooling turbo (you dont need a big T4 or anything with the supercharger under it) i figure its all the boost that you would need

ls/vtec-crx
09-24-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by TwnTrbo

Forced induction is a brilliant idea but more than a turbo and/or a supercharger is needed to achieve awesome results...

There is no way that you will have 35-45% more lag. My buddies AE86 that is twin charged has no lag what so ever. The supercharger creates boost at any RPM which helps the turbo spool faster, therefore creating no lag because your creating boost at all times no matter what RPM.

LaughingTiger
09-24-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
found an awesome site for the twincharged 4A-GZE AE86: http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/lane/1231/
HHHRRRMMMM...... i wonder if this would be a good swap into an RA65?

That's the same site I found...:rofl: