PDA

View Full Version : Resale value debate

Star1995
09-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Debate:

What is worth more as far as the resale value.

2008 Mazda 3, 105,000km, oil changed every three months, never been in an accident, original paint which includes a few door dings, and some rust starting around the wheels. Hail damage from last year, dings on the hood, top and driver’s side. Car is starting to show its age on the outside, looking dull. This car drives Deerfoot everyday during non-peak hours so there’s a lot of stone chips on the hood. Touch up paint has been applied to the stone chips so none of them have started rusting, although you can clearly see where they are.

Or

Exact same 2008 Mazda 3 with 115,000km, oil changed every three months, three accidents along with hail damage over the past five years. All accidents have been someone else’s fault and have been repaired professionally. (Yes my insurance company hates me) All accidents have been to the body only resulting in.
$5500 on the passenger side, the car was one year old fixed damage and repainted the entire right side.
$1400 to the hood one year later, fixed and repainted the hood
$2100 to the driver side, scratches to the driver’s side, fixed and repainted fender and door.
$2500 to repair the hail damage
No door dings, no rust and looks like really nice as far as the general appearance. This car no longer drive Deerfoot so no stone chips, both have had the windshield replaced a few times.

My wife and I both bought the same car five years ago, mine has been a magnet for other cars and hers not at all. Lucky for me I’ve had a dash cam since day three so all accidents have been proven to be bad luck and not my fault.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Most non car people would probably buy car 2, because to them the mileage is very similar but car 2 sounds like it is visually much nicer.

rob the knob
09-08-2013, 01:32 PM
car 2 would scary many people if car fax

kvg
09-08-2013, 01:44 PM
How many of the "accidents to the body" were collisions?

Star1995
09-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by kvg
How many of the "accidents to the body" were collisions?

All were due to collision with the exception of the hail damage.

Xtrema
09-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob
car 2 would scary many people if car fax

This.

Both would worth the same but the appearance would close the deal quicker on #2 as long as carfax isn't involved.

Rat Fink
09-08-2013, 05:12 PM

clem24
09-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
For me, I'd pick car 1. What you see is what you get.

Number 2 might have plenty of hidden problems depending on who did the bodywork. It might end up being a rusted out POS in a couple years. Number 1 is a virgin car in comparison. I personally never buy a car that has had any bodywork done to it unless I get it for a good deal and am planning on re-selling it for a profit.

BUT, number 2 will probably sell for more money to someone else.

Yeah but in the description of car 1 would be "lady driven". That screams to me to stay away!

msommers
09-09-2013, 04:55 PM
That depends. I think to the average person, Lady Driven means it was driven gently and not "raced" everywhere. To a car guy, that usually means the maintenance has been neglected, something that actually matters!

Redlyne_mr2
09-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Both cars have depreciated to a point where the accidents are irrelevant. At the end of the day it's the one that runs and looks the best with the lower mileage that will bring the most money.

heavyD
09-09-2013, 08:28 PM
They both sound like they are in pretty rough shape for a 2008 models with all the accidents and hail. Rust on the wheel wells already? Will Mazda ever get rustproofing right?

Kloubek
09-09-2013, 08:58 PM
I thought 2007's and newer were supposed to be better in the rust department. Guess not.

Personally, I would not be turned off a car with a bunch of small incidents. Those kind of dollars are pretty small when it comes to body repair. I'd look closely at the condition of the panels and if they were ok, I'd most certainly pick the vehicle that isn't rusting or has dull paint. (Though dull paint is generally easy enough to fix)

khanan
09-09-2013, 09:03 PM
If no one checks the carfax then you can sell the car 2 for a better price, that is if it is still active.

Honestly if you set the price at a reasonable rate, a few bills below the vmr value, anyone who is really interested in it will buy it no matter what. Right now the demand for used cars is higher than ever. We recently had that big flood a few months back, so a lot of flood damaged non-repairable cars are flocking the market.

Pictures would help greatly.

dirtsniffer
09-10-2013, 02:16 PM
pretty boring of you guys to buy the same car.

mrsingh
09-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Both cars have depreciated to a point where the accidents are irrelevant. At the end of the day it's the one that runs and looks the best with the lower mileage that will bring the most money.

Fully agree with this, at this point a run of the mill car with accidents would be discounted a few hundred dollars. When a car reaches this age/price point most people are looking for reliable transportation, that has proof of maintenance and decent tires to get them through the winter. Shiny paint is really just a plus.

Exceptions would be a car that is rare or has some sort of collector value of course

FixedGear
09-11-2013, 10:54 PM
I'd go for car 1. I don't trust body work really and that's pretty extensive to have one side of the car entirely repaitned (plus the hood and whatever else).

Weird you've got rust on an 08. We have an 07 gt hatch, still in mint condition (no rust at all).