PDA

View Full Version : Caterham Supersport?

schocker
09-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Spotted this at Costco today. Looked pretty neat. I think it is a supersport because of the wheels and tires but not too sure. Such a small little car though :burnout:

http://i.imgur.com/PbsJyec.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/a6z1iFD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dEnEMVS.jpg[B/IMG]
[BIMG]http://i.imgur.com/5yNcNVB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/u0V4lqV.jpg

Also, thought these lights were toooooooo sickkkkkkkkk
http://i.imgur.com/Dq6nVKG.jpg

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-08-2013, 04:39 PM
I saw you taking photos of it. Its a 2012 Caterham Super 7 R400 Superlight.

:)

jsn
09-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Nice spot. Love those. Those would be a blast to drive.

I don't think those lights are THAT bad. Definitely not bad enough to be picture worthy.

schocker
09-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I saw you taking photos of it. Its a 2012 Caterham Super 7 R400 Superlight.

:)
haha, I tried to be super discrete and sneaky :rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by schocker

haha, I tried to be super discrete and sneaky :rofl:

Everywhere we take it there's people taking photos and asking questions, you are not alone.

schocker
09-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Everywhere we take it there's people taking photos and asking questions, you are not alone.
How embarassing for me :rofl:
Would have stuck around if I knew the owner was nearby as I had no idea which model it was nor any specs!

amear
09-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Is it just me or does it look like in the first pic there's long piece of glass on the passenger fender ? and the fenders kinda just disappear? either way looks like its the picture.:nut:

Nice Spot tho!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-09-2013, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by amear
Is it just me or does it look like in the first pic there's long piece of glass on the passenger fender ? and the fenders kinda just disappear? either way looks like its the picture.:nut:

Nice Spot tho!

You can see the photo is chopped, the car is the same side to side last time I checked lol.

schocker
09-09-2013, 09:33 AM
It was from using HDR on my phone, if you move the phone away too quick it messes up the picture, didn't even notice until he pointed it out :rofl:

Was this car brought in as a kit twincam?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by schocker
It was from using HDR on my phone, if you move the phone away too quick it messes up the picture, didn't even notice until he pointed it out :rofl:

Was this car brought in as a kit twincam?

No, you can't legally build your own in Canada anymore, has to be built and vin-ed by a registered builder in Canada. We got this one used with 530km on the odometer.

schocker
09-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Cool, thanks for the info twincam :thumbsup:

M.alex
09-09-2013, 03:47 PM

No, you can't legally build your own in Canada anymore, has to be built and vin-ed by a registered builder in Canada.

That sounds like a BS line to me.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

Well it is possible but very very hard especially in Alberta. Its much easier to build a chassis from scratch and then build your own car from that and get it registered than to build a Caterham as a kit. My dad looked into it because he wanted to build his own and essentially no one will sell you one as parts in Canada because someone has the rights to build them and sell them here, and beyond that Alberta Transportation makes it very very difficult to even VIN one in Alberta. All of them are VIN-ed in BC by the builder now, the OOPIed in other provinces.

As a side note my dad is also building a car from scratch that he designed himself.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-09-2013, 04:01 PM

As a legal standpoint Caterham/builder in BC wont sell anyone a kit because they want to make money off of building them and have all of them built by one person here.

Because they "legally" have the right to them essentially.

viff3r
09-09-2013, 04:01 PM
I can't think of many cars that are less practical for a Costco shopping trip.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by viff3r
I can't think of many cars that are less practical for a Costco shopping trip.

No worse than a Smart car or Mini Convertible or any super car, we take it shopping if we feel like it, can fit any normal items and bags of groceries, just no huge items.

amear
09-09-2013, 07:48 PM

No, you can't legally build your own in Canada anymore, has to be built and vin-ed by a registered builder in Canada. We got this one used with 530km on the odometer.

My high school math teacher had one he built himself from scratch, apparently it was 7" longer than the real deal but he said it performed so well he could out handle a bike! it was green and black, he had it for sale back in 2011-2012 for around 14k!

M.alex
09-09-2013, 08:00 PM

Well it is possible but very very hard especially in Alberta. Its much easier to build a chassis from scratch and then build your own car from that and get it registered than to build a Caterham as a kit. My dad looked into it because he wanted to build his own and essentially no one will sell you one as parts in Canada because someone has the rights to build them and sell them here, and beyond that Alberta Transportation makes it very very difficult to even VIN one in Alberta. All of them are VIN-ed in BC by the builder now, the OOPIed in other provinces.

As a side note my dad is also building a car from scratch that he designed himself.

You can get a VIN for a wooden bedframe with a big block attached to it, lol.

It sounds to me like the guy in BC has an agreement with the factory and they won't sell kits to anybody but him? That's about the only difference I can see between this and, say, an Ultima GT-R

Cos
09-09-2013, 08:11 PM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by amear

My high school math teacher had one he built himself from scratch, apparently it was 7" longer than the real deal but he said it performed so well he could out handle a bike! it was green and black, he had it for sale back in 2011-2012 for around 14k!

Most super cars will out handle and out brake a bike, it's acceleration that becomes the problem.

Tomaz
09-16-2013, 10:41 AM
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get it for? And where did you find it for sale?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Tomaz
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get it for? And where did you find it for sale?

Tomaz,

This car retailed for about $85000 new we bought it off the original owner with 530KM on the odometer and paid $79000 (He wanted to finance building a Lancia Stratos replica). The lower end models can be had in Canada for about $70000 before options I hear. The official builder is based on Vancouver Island, he builds 5-10 per year and its generally a years wait to get one. This car has some options/goodies on it, such as a full carbon dash, carbon fenders, an intercom system, heater, both harnesses and regular seat belts, lowered headlights, and track day exhaust (louder).

flipstah
09-16-2013, 11:59 AM

Tomaz,

This car retailed for about $85000 new we bought it off the original owner with 530KM on the odometer and paid $79000 (He wanted to finance building a Lancia Stratos replica). The lower end models can be had in Canada for about $70000 before options I hear. The official builder is based on Vancouver Island, he builds 5-10 per year and its generally a years wait to get one. This car has some options/goodies on it, such as a full carbon dash, carbon fenders, an intercom system, heater, both harnesses and regular seat belts, lowered headlights, and track day exhaust (louder).

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

Tomaz
09-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Cool mate! Thanks!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Also just announced is a 85BHP 490KG 660CC Suzuki Turbo engined Caterham 7, it will start at 17K British Pounds in the UK, no idea if it will be available here.

flipstah
09-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Also just announced is a 85BHP 490KG 660CC Suzuki Turbo engined Caterham 7, it will start at 17K British Pounds in the UK, no idea if it will be available here.

A possible 40k Catherham? I'm sold.:hitit:

blitz
09-16-2013, 03:55 PM
You keep saying "we" when I think you really mean "my dad"

:rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by blitz

Yes and no, I get to drive it and will be taking it from him down the road, according to my mom it's technically "ours".

01RedDX
09-16-2013, 04:10 PM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
I think I've been stuck behind you (your dad?) on Canada Olympic Road once or twice. I say stuck because he negotiated each and every one of the 20 speed bumps at less than 5km an hour (understandably.)

Yeah he's up there every so often overseeing rebuilding of one of the ski jumps in his spare time.

brucebanner
09-16-2013, 04:15 PM

Yes and no, I get to drive it and will be taking it from him down the road, according to my mom it's technically "ours".

I get to drive my dads vintage vehicles too and I'll likely inherit a few down the road sometime but they're definitely his and not "ours".

Doesn't really matter how you guys determine it though, but I'm guessing it was his $$$ that was used to acquire that badass Caterham.

01RedDX
09-16-2013, 04:17 PM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by bruceod

I get to drive my dads vintage vehicles too and I'll likely inherit a few down the road sometime but they're definitely his and not "ours".

Doesn't really matter how you guys determine it though, but I'm guessing it was his $$$ that was used to acquire that badass Caterham.

My family shares our stuff, and even my dad wanted me to drive the car and he wants me to take the trophy that was won on the weekend, my dad takes my car an drives it sometimes too, we are a close family.

Haters gonna hate, I didn't say it was "mine" or take any credit for buying it, but we share all our cars between everyone.

bjstare
09-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by blitz

:rofl: That's the first thing I thought too

Doesn't matter how you define it. If you didn't help buy it, it ain't an "ours" item. Gifts notwithstanding.

01RedDX
09-16-2013, 04:51 PM

flipstah
09-16-2013, 04:56 PM
The Golf is under my name but my brother can use it any time. It's 'our' car.

It's only 'my' car when it's empty. :rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

I disagree, in the context of close families, with homes and cars it tends to be an "ours" thing - our house, our minivan, etc. It only ends once you move out, but I'm assuming he still lives at home. I'm sure it's strange to those who come from stricter/colder/divorced families where you tend to hear stuff like "this is my house, don't forget that" more often and move out at a younger age.

Essentially how it is, we are very close, outside of my grandma and aunt/uncle/cousin over seas, we have no more family. I am my parents only child. They offer me way more than I take, my parents wanted to give me their house but continue to live there until they retire and move somewhere, I declined and chose to buy my own. With some of my parents previous cars my mom wanted to hand them down to me, I offered money but ended up buying or financing my own car because I would have felt bad just taking it. In the end the fact that the Caterham is going to get handed down to me is pretty minor, yeah I get some stuff from my parents but largely I pay for my own stuff, including my car and house, and I share those with my parents just like they share their home and cars with me. Yeah I didn't pay for it, but my dad didn't pay for his previous car either, my mom used her inheritance to purchase it for him. Everyone gives and everyone gets, I have already offered my dad a fair sum for the car when he gets rid of it. My dad both take it to shows together, we both drive it (him way more than me), we both clean the car and take care of it. Its "ours" as a family.

flipstah
09-16-2013, 05:02 PM
This got out of topic quickly lol.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
This got out of topic quickly lol.

Everyone on Beyond started from the bottom and never received any help or anything apparently and must be bitter.

:cry:

M.alex
09-16-2013, 05:55 PM
This seems silly to argue. Who's name is on the registration? That's the owner; everybody else is somebody who the owner lets drive it.

big A
09-16-2013, 06:12 PM
When I started reading this thread last week, I thought, wow that Twin Cam guy seems like a great guy.
He tells people to talk to him when they see the car instead of just take pics, lets people sit in it at shows. Now people are bashing him because he comes from a close family and they use the word "we".

A real low from some beyonders.

By the way, My son and I were enjoying the rev-off between you and the Etype:drool:

big A
09-16-2013, 06:12 PM
When I started reading this thread last week, I thought, wow that Twin Cam guy seems like a great guy.
He tells people to talk to him when they see the car instead of just take pics, lets people sit in it at shows. Now people are bashing him because he comes from a close family and they use the word "we".

By the way, My son and I were enjoying the rev-off between you and the Etype:drool:

brucebanner
09-16-2013, 06:47 PM
This seems silly to argue. Who's name is on the registration? That's the owner; everybody else is somebody who the owner lets drive it.

This was all I was pointing to.

Referring to having a close family and the what's mine is yours or in this case ours. I get it, luckily I have a close relationship with my family as well. I just view it differently.

I wasn't bashing Twin Cam, never met the guy and he seems like a good person. I just have a different view on things, beauty of the internet I guess. :D

CanmoreOrLess
09-16-2013, 06:48 PM
The dealer in Canada, decent brochures as well: http://www.super7cars.com/index.html

The USA dealer, you can select plenty of paint options: http://www.uscaterham.com/showroom/paint.html

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-16-2013, 06:51 PM

Referring to having a close family and the what's mine is yours or in this case ours. I get it, luckily I have a close relationship with my family as well. I just view it differently.

I wasn't bashing Twin Cam, never met the guy and he seems like a good person. I just have a different view on things, beauty of the internet I guess. :D

I never said I owned I referred to it as "ours" which I take as my family's. I don't know why everyone freaks out.

Most of you who know me have seen me refer to it as my dads, never have I said I "own" it.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by big A

Thanks, that E Type was a lot louder than I was expecting!

blitz
09-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Haha, I didn't mean to start a shitstorm, I just thought it was funny given the previous threads.

Originally posted by big A

:rofl: You think this is a low for beyond?

flipstah
09-16-2013, 07:24 PM
^ I've seen lower. This is mild. :zzz:

bjstare
09-17-2013, 07:17 AM

Everyone on Beyond started from the bottom and never received any help or anything apparently and must be bitter.

:cry:

haha I do not fall into that category

:werd: He does seem like a good guy, and I wasn't bashing either. Also incredibly close with my family, just view things differently.

mrsingh
09-17-2013, 08:58 AM

Wow if that is the case then I own all the cars in my household, since it is my name on the registration. The fact that my wife's income contributed to paying for them as well has nothing to do with it...

Disoblige
09-17-2013, 09:14 AM
100% agree that the comments received in this thread is mostly because of Twin_Cam_Turbo's previous threads. I don't think he's a bad guy, probably just have a bad reputation of those threads. Still kinda surprised that after those threads he still posts in the same manner. He should have expected this from Beyond when he posted the response to Tomaz lol.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
100% agree that the comments received in this thread is mostly because of Twin_Cam_Turbo's previous threads. I don't think he's a bad guy, probably just have a bad reputation of those threads. Still kinda surprised that after those threads he still posts in the same manner. He should have expected this from Beyond when he posted the response to Tomaz lol.

I don't see what the problem is, I paid for part of the Subaru we bought but you guys bitched me out about that for calling it mine. Its like saying if you don't outright pay cash for your car and are sole owner on the registration then you can't call it yours.

The Audi R8 thread was a matter of personal opinion, I still don't find it particularly impressive that someone bought a R8 and drives it in the winter, big whoop.

s dime
09-17-2013, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't sweat it twin cam. I've met you and your old man in real life, good people for sure.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by s dime
I wouldn't sweat it twin cam. I've met you and your old man in real life, good people for sure.

Appreciate it!

never
09-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Does it really matter how another car is referred to? Some people must have pretty small lives if they are worried about how TCT refers to the Caterham. And at least the Caterham exists and it's a cool little car...others on the forum are probably BSing about owning cars they've never been anywhere near.

M.alex
09-17-2013, 03:15 PM

Its like saying if you don't outright pay cash for your car and are sole owner on the registration then you can't call it yours.

But you can't.

If you didn't pay 'cash' for it then the bank owns it. Period. Proof - don't pay them their interest payment for 2 or 3 months and watch what happens. It's not yours so you can't tell the repo guy to go f*k off when he stars parking outside

If your name isn't on the registration and you get pulled over by a cop you're not going to be let go in the next 3-5minutes.

It's your dads car and you have access to it ..... not really sure how people can argue this point and/or get butt-hurt over it.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-17-2013, 03:26 PM

But you can't.

If you didn't pay 'cash' for it then the bank owns it. Period. Proof - don't pay them their interest payment for 2 or 3 months and watch what happens. It's not yours so you can't tell the repo guy to go f*k off when he stars parking outside

If your name isn't on the registration and you get pulled over by a cop you're not going to be let go in the next 3-5minutes.

It's your dads car and you have access to it ..... not really sure how people can argue this point and/or get butt-hurt over it.

Technically no you can't you are right, but then when I split the cost of a vehicle (different vehicle) with my parents and we both use it, I get shit for calling it mine. I am saying how is it any different than all of you who finance vehicles, people don't go around ripping on them. Who gives a damn, do you guys really think it bugged me that you made a big kerfluffle over that?

Again I never said that the Caterham was mine, I said it was ours in the context of my family's as I have explained how we view our vehicles.

amear
09-18-2013, 12:05 AM
WOW you people argue over some really stupid shit. When your younger, you live with your parents/guardians, i bet you guys never said "im going back to my mom and dads house" from what i recall, every one calls it "my house" whether you live with your family or relatives. How about food or furniture? do you guys seriously go around pointing fingers at your family members and saying that's your shit because you paid for it? Fucking pathetic. My parents and I always swap cars and we do refer to it as "ours" same with the house.

I see a bunch a selfish assholes getting at Twin Cam because he used the term "we".

Andd he clearly stated he never purchased the vehicle nor is he taking credit for it.:banghead: :banghead:

Haters gonna hate, I didn't say it was "mine" or take any credit for buying it, but we share all our cars between everyone.

Buster
09-23-2013, 02:10 AM

But you can't.

this is pretty dopey.

amear
09-23-2013, 03:39 AM

My cars are actually insured under my dads name since minimum quote i got to insure my BMW was 8k a year. Even before that I've always had my cars insured under my dads name, I've been pulled over a lot and most of the time i always got off with a warning either because i was at work or i broke a small law at 3am on a dead road. Never have been pulled over for more than 5 min. They just ask me who's the car registered under and i say its my dads, give me a warning and i'm off in less than 2 minutes.

Yeah maybe if your driving a buddy's car and get pulled over, your gonna be sitting there for a while.

just my .02

evotell
04-25-2015, 06:39 AM
Good car the Caterham

snowcat
04-25-2015, 11:33 AM
Who fucking cares? You guys are such losers worrying about "we" "ours" "mine" this and that.

It's a nice car, bright paint, nice plate. Hope to see it in person!