PDA

View Full Version : Alligator socket? where to buy?

Canucks3322
09-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know where to buy an alligator socket? I broke my key and can't be bothered to call around tomorrrow....:)...how much are they, or is it cheaper to just break them off and put on a new set of locking lugnuts?

schocker
09-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Would be pretty hard to get off as you would have to try around for a matching key unless they are marked somehow? I lost my key once, shops all wanted whatever per hour to remove so I bought the removers from princess auto and then impact wrenched them off. Have to be careful though to not scratch the wheel. Pretty simple, just have to hammer out the locking nut at an angle or it will never come off. This is similar to what i got but mine only had 2
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Pullers-And-Bearing-Tools/4-pc-1-2-in-dr-Locking-Wheel-Nut-Removers/8320954.p

Canucks3322
09-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Interesting haven't seen those, but I've seen suggestions to hammer in a socket slightly smaller than the nut...but that requires new nuts after...

AE92_TreunoSC
09-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Just got to a tire shop and have them change them. Why buy a tool and screw around? They can be very difficult to remove even with the right tool.

schocker
09-09-2013, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Interesting haven't seen those, but I've seen suggestions to hammer in a socket slightly smaller than the nut...but that requires new nuts after...
That might be cheaper depending on if the socket breaks or not but you would likely need at least 4. Either way really requires new nuts though.

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Just got to a tire shop and have them change them. Why buy a tool and screw around? They can be very difficult to remove even with the right tool.
With the tool I linked it takes like 2-5 minutes per wheel :confused:

Canucks3322
09-09-2013, 08:12 AM
$25 + $15 for new normal nuts...thanks man I'll just do that...

schocker
09-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
$25 + $15 for new normal nuts...thanks man I'll just do that...
Just be careful to not scratch the wheels up. Could wrap something that won't burn up from the heat around the socket.

Darkane
09-09-2013, 09:45 AM
I had my car broken into and they stole some stuff one year including my lug key.

I went to calgary Honda parts and they had a matching key in a universal set. Like 16 keys I think.