PDA

View Full Version : Spotted: Brilliant parenting at work!

Graham_A_M
09-08-2013, 08:22 PM
I was headed to my parents' house in Queensland, only to get close to the house, and see this.
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii312/Graham_A_M/null_zps517a45f0.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/Graham_A_M/media/null_zps517a45f0.jpg.html)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii312/Graham_A_M/null_zps34d5ce40.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/Graham_A_M/media/null_zps34d5ce40.jpg.html)

The kid was in the back holding up a flat screen TV. This is (somewhat) fine, but in high traffic areas and the like? not cool. :nut: especially when the kid is so young.

I took these photos with my phone, as evidence then called it in to the CPS. Just stupidity.
Only in the low income housing of Queensland, growing up in that neighboorhood, there were always stories about shit going on here. Only to come back and see this.

The lady officer at the 266-1234 line was floored... These were the only pics I could snap that captured his license plate, I couldn't snap any at the faster moving areas.

ExtraSlow
09-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Maybe they have three or four kids and only one TV?

blackpeople
09-08-2013, 08:43 PM
So you did something illegal to catch someone else doing something illegal? And then complained about it to beyond?:rolleyes:

englishbob
09-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Is it as bad as using your phone to take pics while driving?

FraserB
09-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by blackpeople
So you did something illegal to catch someone else doing something illegal? And then complained about it to beyond?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by englishbob
Is it as bad as using your phone to take pics while driving?

I think we found the parents.:rofl:

woodywoodford
09-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Wow, overreaction much? We road in the back of the truck all the time when I was kid. Highly doubt the guy was bombing down the highway with his kid in the back anyway.

GTS4tw
09-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
Wow, overreaction much? We road in the back of the truck all the time when I was kid. Highly doubt the guy was bombing down the highway with his kid in the back anyway.

No doubt! Hahaha, called the police... I bet the woman was floored!

403ep3
09-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Lol you should ask for a distracted driving ticket for yourself. We should all send that photo in and tell them the driver deserves a ticket too hahah

englishbob
09-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Not my kid,he'd have been behind the wheel so I could keep the new tv safe, but Im sure the people I know who live in Queensland are happy to know its 'low income '.

tomt64
09-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Lets be realiatic here, what could happen? Omg he could get thrown out, he could bang his head on the bed :eek: lets put the kid in a bubble so he wont get hurt!
For all you know that could be the 'kids' tv in his friends truck. He looks at least 14... You never did any slightly sketchy things when you were that age?
Someone is turning old and grumpy here :nut:

btimbit
09-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Shit when I was a few years older than that I remember blasting down the main road in Langdon on top of an extended zoom-boom arm at full speed, with the driver talking on the phone:poosie:

Mibz
09-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Beyond's vagina has been upgraded to: Cavernous

whydontchathen
09-08-2013, 09:28 PM
get a life, tattle tale.

euro_racer
09-08-2013, 09:32 PM
:whocares: :drama:

corsvette
09-08-2013, 09:45 PM
This was certainly more acceptable when I was growing up in the 80's, got hurt pretty bad once too, was riding on the top of a tailgate on a 3 ton grain truck and fell off........good times.

Remember always riding in the back of my uncles truck blasting down the gravel roads at 80km/h and nobody thought anything of it.

Times have changed.

Sugarphreak
09-08-2013, 09:46 PM

Nismorphed
09-08-2013, 09:47 PM
You are that sissy neighbour that saves the world

JRSC00LUDE
09-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Spoilsport!

I dunno man, I fail to see the big deal. The kid is steadying a box

When I was 14/15, we were changing drivers in the truck on the highway by climbing out the passenger side window, sliding across the hood and shifting everyone over one spot on the bench :rofl:

People suck these days, goddamn sissies.

No offense Graham.

M.alex
09-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Dont be such a pussy.

amear
09-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

When I was 14/15, we were changing drivers in the truck on the highway by climbing out the passenger side window, sliding across the hood and shifting everyone over one spot on the bench :rofl:

No offense Graham.

Damn:eek:

Graham_A_M
09-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Spoilsport!

I dunno man, I fail to see the big deal. The kid is steadying a box

No offense Graham.
Im on the same boat, growing up on a farm, I was driving a 15 ton grain truck at the ripe old age of 9, thing is? There was nobody around, and I stayed way the hell off the main roads, well away from anybody.

Yet? I sure as hell wasn't sitting in the back of a truck doing 70kph on Canyon meadows drive. If you saw the kid bouncing around like I did, you'd likely call it in too. All it took was an accident, and that kid would be seriously hurt.

I was stopped when I snapped those pics, waiting for him to merge.

Im far from a "Sissy", Just looking after the well being of the kid in question. I dont really care too much, but seeing a kid bouncing around at about 70kph on a fairly major road like Canyon meadows raises a few flags.

heavyfuel
09-09-2013, 07:58 AM
This is exactly what I wanted to avoid by not taking a pic while driving of another Beyonder's custom plate I spotted yesterday.

Everybody's such a fuckin' hero online with the road safety handbook tightly wedged up their asses and elevated levels of social responsibility but face it people we've ALL done something stupid/unsafe/douchey at some point or other. The Beyond lynch mob has gotten way too much sand in its vagina.

benyl
09-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Yet? I sure as hell wasn't sitting in the back of a truck doing 70kph on Canyon meadows drive. If you saw the kid bouncing around like I did, you'd likely call it in too. All it took was an accident, and that kid would be seriously hurt.

Seriously?

JRSC00LUDE
09-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Im far from a "Sissy", Just looking after the well being of the kid in question.

Yeah, I know you're a good guy. Wasn't really calling you one directly....just dancing around it! :rofl:

;)

spikerS
09-09-2013, 08:59 AM
fuck, I remember my dad taking 8 of us to Calaway park for my birthday when I was like 14.

and you can't fit 9 people into a regular cab F-250. so guess where we all rode while bombing down the trans-canada? We were even passed by an RCMP member!

but yes, society as a whole has gotten to be a bubble wrap society, and I am guilty of it too sometimes, however, I do try to give my kids more breathing room to explore for themselves and develop their own common sense.

Heck, about a month ago, I had a 8, 5, and 4 year old ride around in the back of my truck.

civic_stylez
09-09-2013, 09:24 AM
TVs are expensive to replace. Kids are not. :thumbsup:

speedog
09-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
TVs are expensive to replace. Kids are not. :thumbsup:
Really?

Try having a few and see them into/through university - TV's will prove to be much cheaper.

AudiPWR
09-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Yeah, if you need to take a picture of this and cry about it...

You're a puss.

dirtsniffer
09-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by speedog

Really?

Try having a few and see them into/through university - TV's will prove to be much cheaper.

I'm pretty sure he meant that it only costs a bottle of wine to get laid....

speedog
09-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I'm pretty sure he meant that it only costs a bottle of wine to get laid....
Can't debate that.

cam_wmh
09-09-2013, 10:57 AM
this thread is full of lols.

vengie
09-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Hell I still bomb around gravel roads in the back of pickups going from field to field to shoot gophers. The pussification of North America continues...

slinkie
09-09-2013, 11:09 AM

Only in the low income housing of Queensland

jwslam
09-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by spikers
but yes, society as a whole has gotten to be a bubble wrap society, and I am guilty of it too sometimes, however, I do try to give my kids more breathing room to explore for themselves and develop their own common sense..
It's because too many people run around with scissors popping other people's bubbles. The only thing I can do is put up more bubbles so they can't get to me!

It's one thing for me to put my kid in the back like that. It's another thing when someone cuts me off and hard brakes; that I cannot control.

Graham_A_M
09-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
Yeah, if you need to take a picture of this and cry about it...

You're a puss.

:facepalm: Yup, huge puss. and yes Im crying uncontrollably over this. You bet. Im deeply disturbed over this, to the point of tears..
:rolleyes:

GTS4tw
09-09-2013, 04:33 PM

:facepalm: Yup, huge puss. and yes Im crying uncontrollably over this. You bet. Im deeply disturbed over this, to the point of tears..
:rolleyes:

You called the police..... I think his point is made.

yellowsnow
09-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Wow this thread backfired :nut:

blitz
09-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Are people seriously comparing riding in the back of a truck in 1980's rural Alberta to 70 km/h in current day Calgary? If this was just down side streets then fine, but on a major roadway?

I don't bubble wrap my kid, but this shit is just stupid.

know1edge
09-09-2013, 08:23 PM
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii312/Graham_A_M/null_zps517a45f0.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/Graham_A_M/media/null_zps517a45f0.jpg.html)[/B]

I was stopped when I snapped those pics, waiting for him to merge.

weird place to stop is all I'm gonna say. no other comments

Graham_A_M
09-09-2013, 11:07 PM
^ yeah that one was while driving obviously. I was just trying to get close. :thumbsdow
I cant zoom on my Iphone, so I had to pull up as close as I could to get the license plate.

Originally posted by GTS4tw

You called the police..... I think his point is made.

When the truck was driven by a 16 year old kid driving erratically on Canyon meadows speeding, I think calling the police was well justified.

I really couldn't give two vague shits if you guys construe that as a "puss" move or not, you weren't there. :rolleyes: Its easy to pass judgement and be a keyboard warrior.

Normally? I couldn't care less, at all really. Trust me, I dont really care. But given what happened that day, with a truck piloted by a kid who was driving erratically, thats when it starts to matter. I love how people jump the gun in this thread and say "That is pussification". I should have taken a video of the whole incident from start to finish, then perhaps you guys would have a different perspective on all this.

bart
09-10-2013, 04:32 AM
did you also report the kids in the movie Mud? haha

its completely legal to do this in some US states, i assume the plate on the car is from one of those states.. even if it were AB plate :whocares:

and i think you are allowed to ride in back of trucks in manitoba still

n1zm0
09-10-2013, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Yeah I've ridden in the back of a few trucks growing up... was a normal thing to do when I was younger if there was no room in the cab.

is this actually illegal? Because we used to go down to fish creek in the deer run area in the back of my friend's b2200, stopped only once by the conservation officer and he just wanted to see that we were sitting in down in the bed rather than standing, let us go no issue, cops passed us multiple times and never did anything. This was early 2000s mind you.

Shlade
09-10-2013, 06:52 AM
Don't bother wasting your data or cell phone minutes...

Some people learn their lesson through Injury lol

Xtrema
09-10-2013, 07:29 AM
the real question is, why can't TV manufacturers build TVs that can be laid down during shipping instead of keeping it vertical.

89s1
09-10-2013, 07:37 AM
Graham is a giant hypocrite, and is soft like butter in the sun.

No news here.

davidI
09-10-2013, 07:45 AM
:rofl: the responses.

Part of the reason I left Canada was due to how pussified it has become. Then again, I think seeing 4 people on a motorbike is weak.....5 people + and I'll take notice.

Tik-Tok
09-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

is this actually illegal? Because we used to go down to fish creek in the deer run area in the back of my friend's b2200, stopped only once by the conservation officer and he just wanted to see that we were sitting in down in the bed rather than standing, let us go no issue, cops passed us multiple times and never did anything. This was early 2000s mind you.

No seat belts = illegal.

I did a ton of riding in the back of a truck as a kid as well, but it sure as fuck wasn't in a big city full of terrible drivers like Calgary. If this were a news story because the truck got hit, and the kid flew 20' before hitting a tree, this entire thread would be of a very different tone.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
09-10-2013, 08:22 AM
When I was in Hawaii this type of thing was common place.
Not enough room in the cab = lawn chairs in the truck box.
I saw all ages riding in the backs of trucks, from fairly young kids to senior citizens.

bjstare
09-10-2013, 08:46 AM
^This is true. Happens a lot there. You have to remember, though,

a) It's legal there
b) By and large, local/native hawaiians aren't often the best decision makers.

euro_racer
09-10-2013, 09:34 AM
IMO calling in to the police for almost anything other then an actual crime contributes to the pussification of our society... I mean hell, why stop at calling in some kid riding in the back of a truck? Why not start calling in every person you see not wearing their seatbelt, or every person on a bike without a helmet, every driver that is on their phone (guess you'd have to call in yourself on this one too)... what ever happened to people having better things to do with their time?

Ps: not trying to make this personal, I'm currently dealing with some do-gooder neighborhood cop on my street so this topic kind of struck a nerve lol

Also: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=do-gooder

RX-7_TWINTURBO
09-10-2013, 09:35 AM
It's legal in several states, and also was in Manitoba and Ontario until only a few months ago from what I understand.

speedog
09-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
No seat belts = illegal.

I did a ton of riding in the back of a truck as a kid as well, but it sure as fuck wasn't in a big city full of terrible drivers like Calgary. If this were a news story because the truck got hit, and the kid flew 20' before hitting a tree, this entire thread would be of a very different tone.
This.

August 27, 2013- Chilliwack, B.C.. (http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/news/teen-dead-after-pickup-mishap-1.602300)

In Alberta, legal in some instances - see section 85 of the province of Alberta Traffic Safety Act - link' (http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?page=2002_304.cfm&leg_type=Regs&isbncln=0779738624).

That said, out in the country I'll ride in the back (which hasn't been for over a decade because the need wasn't there) but in the city, whole different beast - too many additional factors at play in an urban area that I have no control over.

btimbit
09-10-2013, 03:42 PM

btimbit
09-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Hm, despite my original post here, I do agree with Graham. The pictures show a slow residential street so I thought :whocares: but he says they were also on Canyon Meadows, so I agree, that's pushing it.

Side street or out in the country, who cares, but a busy road is different

120Comm
09-10-2013, 04:25 PM
I believe it's legal in Newfoundland so they may not realize it's illegal here. The guy looks like an adult to me, though. And why is the TV box open if it's a brand new TV?

Maybe the "266-1234 lady" was "floored" because she had another item to add to her list of "people call for this crap?".

Tik-Tok
09-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Why does everyone keep comparing scenarios from the 80's, rural butt fuck no-where, and places where it is actually legal to this situation?

They also do a lot more drinking and driving in NFLD, and in 1980's rural AB/Sask, so that's cool if you do it here in a residential zone these days, right?

01RedDX
09-10-2013, 04:46 PM

davidI
09-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by davidI
:rofl: the responses.

Part of the reason I left Canada was due to how pussified it has become. Then again, I think seeing 4 people on a motorbike is weak.....5 people + and I'll take notice.

I re-thought my comment a little bit as there is one reason to defend Graham's response - if that kid did get hurt, taxpayers would be paying for the police investigation, medical services, etc. etc. etc.

I still think people should be allowed their freedoms, but I think some of the posters need to think about the costs taxpayers would incur if they got hurt.

Graham_A_M
09-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
Graham is a giant hypocrite, and is soft like butter in the sun.

No news here.

Dude, I seriously dont get WTF your problem is.... I have no issues with you at all, seriously.

Yet you're dead set on pouring on the haterade with me to no end... I dont get it man...
:nut:

I remember having lunch with you in Bragg Creek some years ago on a big Beyond group drive out there, and you seemed like a decent guy back then, now? I have no fucking clue WTF your problem is...

Boosted131
09-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

is this actually illegal? Because we used to go down to fish creek in the deer run area in the back of my friend's b2200, stopped only once by the conservation officer and he just wanted to see that we were sitting in down in the bed rather than standing, let us go no issue, cops passed us multiple times and never did anything. This was early 2000s mind you. I've never got in trouble for it, last time in invermere had 6 people in the box of mine.

speedog
09-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Boosted131
I've never got in trouble for it, last time in invermere had 6 people in the box of mine.
Can't compare Invermere to Calgary as they're in different provinces and traffic safety regulations/statutes are under provincial jurisdiction, not federal.

LongCity
09-11-2013, 12:26 AM

Dude, I seriously dont get WTF your problem is.... I have no issues with you at all, seriously.

Yet you're dead set on pouring on the haterade with me to no end... I dont get it man...

I remember having lunch with you in Bragg Creek some years ago on a big Beyond group drive out there, and you seemed like a decent guy back then, now? I have no fucking clue WTF your problem is...

Call the cops for a further investigation.

Redlyne_mr2
09-11-2013, 12:29 AM
haha reminds me of back in the day where my friends would ride in the box of my dads truck in the winter all the way from Red Deer to Lake Louise so that they had a free ride to go skiing.

120Comm
09-11-2013, 02:32 AM
Why does everyone keep comparing scenarios from the 80's, rural butt fuck no-where, and places where it is actually legal to this situation?

Well, it's a Newfoundland plate. That's why I compared it to Newfoundland.

austic
09-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by LongCity

Call the cops for a further investigation.

Slow Clap :clap:

Mibz
09-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by LongCity
Call the cops for a further investigation. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

viff3r
09-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by euro_racer

Ps: not trying to make this personal, I'm currently dealing with some do-gooder neighborhood cop on my street so this topic kind of struck a nerve lol

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/373076/anyone-know-these-asshats/

?

turbotrip
09-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Graham is soft as butter in the sun. Calling the police was a bitch move

btimbit
09-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
Graham is soft as butter in the sun. Calling the police was a bitch move

The pictures are pretty mild, slow residential streets, who cars. But if they were really on canyon meadows drive going as fast as he claims, then I agree with Graham. A busy road is different

Isaiah
09-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Boosted131
I've never got in trouble for it, last time in invermere had 6 people in the box of mine. Sounds like a hillbilly getaway.

"Hey boys! Get in-ver-mere truck n' lets go! Thems police is comin' hurr-ed up!"

sumguy777
09-13-2013, 08:52 AM
^ yeah that one was while driving obviously. I was just trying to get close. :thumbsdow
I cant zoom on my Iphone, so I had to pull up as close as I could to get the license plate.

They are breaking the law yes, but you did as well for taking a picture while driving. :rofl: hello distracted driving law?

KrisYYC
09-22-2013, 12:50 AM
I grew up in Queensland and this kind of stuff was a daily occurrence. Especially if a group of teens were heading down to fish creek for bonfires etc. Never really heard of any accidents or of anybody getting in trouble for it. But this was back in the 80's and 90's. No big deal back then but with all the bad drivers that have infiltrated Calgary in the last decade I'd be a little weary of getting T-boned by some idiot.

revelations
09-22-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm sorry but no - there are much bigger issues to bother the CPS with.

Even driving on Canyon Meadows, while still more dangerous than a side street, isnt anything worth reporting. In Nanaimo for eg., when people drove drunk, or like idiots, with their passengers in the backs of pickup trucks, was when we called the cops.

While its good that society no take a passive approach to others, there is a line that need not be crossed. This is one of those events IMO. I'm not saying the truck event was RIGHT, but I'm saying that its not worth the bother - in this case.

I believe in darwinism myself, this person will only harm themselves in this case if something goes seriously wrong.... BUT what about the thousands of people texting and driving who can potentialy kill or maim others??? We should be FAR more concerned about them !!!! :banghead:

speedmaster
09-23-2013, 03:57 PM

Sorry, but driving whilst taking a pic on your phone is more dangerous. At least the truck driver's active manouvre ability is not compromised, unlike yours.

There's nothing worse than a tell-tale, except a hypocritical tell-tale. It's bad enough that self-righteous citizens increasingly want a nanny-state because they can't take responsibility for themselves, it's even worse when citizens actively police other citizens.

speedmaster
09-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by revelations

I believe in darwinism myself, this person will only harm themselves in this case if something goes seriously wrong.... BUT what about the thousands of people taking pictures and driving who can potentialy kill or maim others??? We should be FAR more concerned about them !!!! :banghead:

fixed for you.

speedmaster
09-23-2013, 04:12 PM

because you called the police is why. A large proportion of people don't believe police or any Gov't should get involved unless there is something universally considered wrong involved (as opposed to a law that only applies locally - like people riding in the back of trucks).

Reminds me of my neighbor who told my wife she thought she saw me riding my bicycle without a helmet (FYI: only required by law for people 18 and under) and that she was going to stalk me if she saw me and tell me off. I always ride my bike with a helmet unless I am going to the train station to go to work and don't do it so my hair doesn't get messed up, which is acceptable because I'm only going through residential areas; but it gets me that my neighbor is self-righteous enough to want to stalk me to impose her standards on me.

RY213
09-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Graham AM was probably the hall monitor in school. He probably told on other kids for chewing gum in class...

spikerS
09-23-2013, 06:43 PM
give Graham a break. no need to be giving him the gears like this.

even though we all dont think it is a big deal, we can all admit that it isn't the brightest idea either.

speedog
09-23-2013, 06:53 PM
I'd bet that Graham_A_M never thought in a million years that he'd stir up such a hornet's nest with his stick.

Never the less, I get where Graham_A_M is coming from and am generally amused at all of the self righteous do-gooders who've taken him to task over something else - god help every one of them to ensure they never once do something that could distract them from their driving duties.

TheHumbleGeek
09-24-2013, 07:13 AM
No seat belts = illegal.

Actually, thats not entirely true. I remember way back reading the alberta traffic safety act, and it made reference that if all seatbelts in a vehicle were occupied, you can ride in the bed. Also should point out that while its not illegal, its not necessarily the best spot to be riding (yup, ive done it as well, not open air bed, but was out on the transcanada none-the-less. OH! one last thing, theres also allowances in the TSA that make exceptions for vehicles not equipped with seatbelts from the factory (like alot of pre-1980's cars)...

gregh
09-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Prior to 1968 seatbelts were an option, not 1980.

& they were not a cheap option either, lol

TheHumbleGeek
09-24-2013, 09:00 AM
My understanding is that for mustangs, belts were optional up until about 1985, give or take, now, if im mistaken, Cool, i love learning new things! Thats why I said "most".... *nod self*