PDA

View Full Version : Neighbours Pine tree extends 3 meters over roof (shingle problem)

thetransporter
09-08-2013, 08:39 PM
inlaws' Neighbors Pine tree extends 3 meters over their roof - he has two 40+ ft trees close to the property line

- I have asked him a few times if he can do something about them he said he likes the trees too much.

Whatever his reasons are - the shingles in the trees shadows have rolled, and certain parts of the roof (mainly patio) have rotted.

I clean their gutters about 6 times a year due the build up of pine, its endless and just makes a mess everywhere. Its no longer safe for me to go up there to clean them.

The inlaws (they are in their golden years) need new shingles, Neighbor is very stubborn, I cant keep cleaning the roof + gutters. Insurance company removed shingles from policy after taking a look at them - and increased their home insurance by 30 dollars a month

Even we got them new shingles at our expense, we still have that tree, what would be the most civil thing to do or do we make a claim against his insurance?

thanks in advance
(I will do a grammar check shortly)

FraserB
09-08-2013, 08:54 PM
All you can do is ask.

I believe that you can trim anything that extends over the property line. BUT you can't cause damage to the trees due to the trimming, if you do, he can go after you for it.

Tik-Tok
09-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
All you can do is ask.

I believe that you can trim anything that extends over the property line. BUT you can't cause damage to the trees due to the trimming, if you do, he can go after you for it.

This.

rob the knob
09-08-2013, 08:58 PM
cut to property line. property line extends up.

rob the knob
09-08-2013, 08:59 PM
laso

call 311, the help

thetransporter
09-08-2013, 09:06 PM
thanks - i trimmed what i can but remember the tree is 40 ft high - just went a few feet above the roof so at least you could walk into the backyard.

New shingles cant be installed as it would not make sense as the installer will not warranty it which makes sense - i would do the same if i were the shingles company.

oh well.

RickDaTuner
09-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Find yourself some Asian long horn bettle larvae and promptly make your neighbors tree their new home.

Wait one summer and viola.

CapnCrunch
09-09-2013, 08:13 AM
I don't understand this.

You can't put on new shingles because they're in the shadow of a tree?

BigMass
09-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter

The inlaws (they are in their golden years)

sell the house to some yuppies and find a nice apartment. Presto, no more shoveling, moving, raking, worrying about your roof or your neighbours pine tree. It's what I'd do at retirement age to avoid all those issues. Problem solved