PDA

View Full Version : When fishing do you use barbless hooks?

C_Dave45
09-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Simple question....just curious, as I recently found out something that blew my mind.

So...what say you?

spikerS
09-14-2013, 04:26 PM
barbed hooks are illegal in Alberta. Have been as long as I can remember...

Thaco
09-14-2013, 04:31 PM
yep, gotta bust the barb off or pinch it closed or you can get a nasty fine

C_Dave45
09-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by spikers
barbed hooks are illegal in Alberta. Have been as long as I can remember... And that's what I thought....Having come from BC, where barbless has been the law since long before Alberta adopted the law. However:

From this years Fishing Regs: (http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/management.html)

In 2012, during an amendment of the Alberta Fishery Regulations, 1998, the Federal government inadvertently removed the provision prohibiting the use of barbed hooks. This rendered the barbless-only requirement when angling in Alberta unenforceable. The intent is to restore the legislation at the earliest opportunity. Until this occurs, anglers are asked to continue to voluntarily comply with the spirit and intent of the barbless-only regulation and refrain from the use of barbed hooks.

Further.....not sure of the source, but from the Outdoorsmen forum, a further explanation:

Answer: An amendment to Alberta Fishery Regulations pursuant to the Fisheries Act (Canada) removed the prohibition of barbed fish hooks on September 22, 2011; however, Fish and Wildlife Enforcement Branch and Alberta’s Conservation Officers continued to enforce the law, only recently becoming aware that it was removed.

At this time, officers no longer charge people for using barbed hooks and will not swear tickets issued since the change in legislation. All existing charges will be withdrawn, and all warrants will be removed from the system.

Alberta Justice is also moving to quash all wrongful convictions and refund all fines paid since the change in legislation.

In addition, all items seized or confiscated in relation to the now defunct ban on barbed hooks will be returned.

Government is working to resolve this in the best interests of everyone involved.

In the meantime, we encourage anglers to use barbless hooks until Alberta ESRD reviews the issue with respect to Alberta’s regulatory framework.

I got written up with a warning last year, that goes against my WIN card for not crimping my barbs enough....I hope they've removed it from my record then!!

lauphman
09-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Yup they changed the rules, most if not all my lures are barbless and I don't plan on buying new hooks. Besides I fish for the "sport" of it and only bring something home if it didn't survive for whatever reason. It's a lot easier to remove a barbless hook lol.

C_Dave45
09-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by lauphman
Yup they changed the rules, most if not all my lures are barbless and I don't plan on buying new hooks. Besides I fish for the "sport" of it and only bring something home if it didn't survive for whatever reason. It's a lot easier to remove a barbless hook lol. Hope you don't do that with the Bullies ;)

roll_over
09-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks for sharing that Dave I didn't know they changed it

lauphman
09-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Hope you don't do that with the Bullies ;)

Haha no, I follow all regulations. I'm too concerned about getting a massive fine or my truck impounded over a stupid fish. Don't know how people can risk those things over a couple of walleye from pine coulee or using bait on the bow.

pyro
09-14-2013, 06:17 PM
They screwed up the regs this year and accidentally took out that all hooks must be barbless. I was told this by a fish and wildlife guy but someone might want to confirm, don't want to give everyone bad info.

C_Dave45
09-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by pyro
They screwed up the regs this year and accidentally took out that all hooks must be barbless. I was told this by a fish and wildlife guy but someone might want to confirm, don't want to give everyone bad info.

Uhhh.....I thought I just confirmed this straight from the 2013 Alberta Fishing regs.

Originally posted by C_Dave45

From this years Fishing Regs: (http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/management.html)

In 2012, during an amendment of the Alberta Fishery Regulations, 1998, the Federal government inadvertently removed the provision prohibiting the use of barbed hooks. This rendered the barbless-only requirement when angling in Alberta unenforceable. The intent is to restore the legislation at the earliest opportunity. Until this occurs, anglers are asked to continue to voluntarily comply with the spirit and intent of the barbless-only regulation and refrain from the use of barbed hooks.

spikerS
09-14-2013, 08:44 PM
either way, you won't find me using barbed hooks.

I am a sport fisherman. I don't keep anything I catch, so the less damage I do, the better.

speedog
09-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Don't believe that using barbed hooks makes someone not a sport fisherman no less than the decision to keep a few for consumption makes one a less sporting angler.

Personally, have been using barbless since the rescinded regulation came about and will continue to use barbless - just seems way more fair for the fish and at the end of the day, it means that I have to learn how to be a better angler and not possibly rely upon a barbed hook to keep a fish on the line. And besides all of that, it is far easier to remove a barbless hook on anything you're going to return or on a human being who's been bitten by a hook.

C_Dave45
09-15-2013, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Don't believe that using barbed hooks makes someone not a sport fisherman no less than the decision to keep a few for consumption makes one a less sporting angler.

Agree. I've been fishing since the early 70's. Long before anyone ever used the term "catch and release", and long before "barbless" was ever a law. About the only hook that I could never remove properly was the old 'barbed treble hooks' that you find on most flatfish lures.....those things were deadly.

But any single barbed hook, I could/can remove quite easily if using a good hook remover.

I don't fish a lot. once or twice a year. When I do fish, I like to eat what I catch. I will fish till I've hit my limit. If it's a legal catch, but still not what I'm looking for, I'll release him.

I have no qualms about pulling in a beautiful three pound rainbow, bonking him on the head and bringing him home for dinner. Barbless hooks often had me bringing home nothing. Very aggravating watching a gorgeous rainbow spit the hook just before the net gets under him.

So while the window is open, I'll be using barbs and ripping lips!!

:devil:

Before

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/Boulton%20creek%20camping/IMG_2740-1.jpg

....After

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/Boulton%20creek%20camping/IMG_2744.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/Boulton%20creek%20camping/IMG_2748.jpg