PDA

View Full Version : Early 90's Toyota Pickups?

Hage69
09-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Does anyone on here own one of these? If so, what are the issues you've ran into while owning it? Besides to the rust issues. Looking at picking up a 93 in the next couple of days for a bush truck. It's got around 360km on the odo. What should I be looking out for?

nobb
09-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Pretty much same as the 4Runner, so I guess Ill comment. The 4 cyl 22RE engine is the most popular if you can find it, although it is pretty underpowered. The 6 cyl 3VZFE has more power, but is infamously known for its headgasket issues (so check to see if it has been done). Even the 6 cyl is pretty underpowered, but it only really matters for highway cruising. The V6 has a timing belt, while the V4 has timing chain. But you'll still want to inspect/replace the chain or guides at that high of a mileage.

If you can, aim a bit higher for the late 90's Tacoma. Im not sure what Toyota did, but it seems the generation after the early 90's 4Runner and Tacoma has much less rust problems. Also, the 5VZFE V6 engine on these are a huge improvement...quite possibly one of the best engines from Toyota. The ONLY flaw are the non failsafe lower ball joint design, so you might want to get those replaced if the kms are high. I think the IFS on the 1st gen trucks might also be non failsafe, but failures seem to be less common.

Benefits of the early 90's Tacoma would be a more robust front end that is also easier to lift. You just crank the torsion bar on the front. The rear can be lifted with the "Zuk Mod" which merely consists of chucking in cheap old coil springs in with the leaf springs. One thing I also noticed with the earlier Toyota trucks vs the late 90's ones is that the wheel bearings aren't a sealed design, so you have more work to do in terms of periodically lubing them.

I would say with higher mileage Toyota trucks, mechanical condition and maintenance is more important than kms. High kms gives you room for negotiating the price down, as these trucks are pretty overpriced.

BokCh0y
09-14-2013, 10:02 PM
I have a 91 SR5. I think Frozenrice had one too, so he may have some input.

Nobb is right, the 3VZE engine in the 89-95 Toyota Pickup is weak - not enough power. That's my biggest gripe besides the rust. Other than that, solid truck.

Only common issues that I know of:

- Head gasket on the 3VZE V6.
- Rusts like a mother
- Some occasional tranny probs, as in it pops outta 5th gear some times. The shifter bushings wear down too.
- Clutch bracket is weak as fuck and cracks very easily, not hard but not easy to replace either.
- ebrakes are commonly seized on the drums, but easy to fix.
- ebrake cable snaps easily.

That's all I can think of. Other than that, a pretty solid truck in my opinion.

If you can, pickup the 95.5 to 2004 Tacoma. Like Nobb said, rust isn't as much of a prob and the engine has more power. Only prob is you barely see those the wreckers so parts are harder to come across. But after market parts are everywhere and easily found. I have probs finding after market parts for my 91.

Post picks of your truck though after you decide and pick one up :D

I really like mine though, great truck in my opinion.

AE92_TreunoSC
09-14-2013, 10:45 PM
I've owned 2 and work on them. Still wouldn't recommend them. They are tough as hell but the age of them is really hitting them hard now. They don't have great powerplants to start with.

I'd say steer clear of and pre-96 pickup and go for the Tacoma with a 3.4 or 2.7.

They have oil consumption issues, headgasket issues even post-recall. Terrible fuel economy and no power at all.

The front end was more robust but also very soft due to steering linkages. The Tacoma switches up to rack and pinion.

4runneron36s
09-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
I have a 91 SR5. I think Frozenrice had one too, so he may have some input.

Nobb is right, the 3VZE engine in the 89-95 Toyota Pickup is weak - not enough power. That's my biggest gripe besides the rust. Other than that, solid truck.

Only common issues that I know of:

- Head gasket on the 3VZE V6.
- Rusts like a mother
- Some occasional tranny probs, as in it pops outta 5th gear some times. The shifter bushings wear down too.
- Clutch bracket is weak as fuck and cracks very easily, not hard but not easy to replace either.
- ebrakes are commonly seized on the drums, but easy to fix.
- ebrake cable snaps easily.

That's all I can think of. Other than that, a pretty solid truck in my opinion.

If you can, pickup the 95.5 to 2004 Tacoma. Like Nobb said, rust isn't as much of a prob and the engine has more power. Only prob is you barely see those the wreckers so parts are harder to come across. But after market parts are everywhere and easily found. I have probs finding after market parts for my 91.

Post picks of your truck though after you decide and pick one up :D

I really like mine though, great truck in my opinion.

I beg to differ regarding rust not being an issue on first gen Tacomas...while the body does not rust out as much as a third gen pickup (89-95), the frames sure do. Also going to a Tacoma means you're paying a premium for that generation of truck, so you might not be able to do all the mods you want when a good portion of your funds went to purchasing the truck.

While the 4cyl is underpowered compared to modern trucks, it is dead simple to work on and parts/upgrades/spares/wrecks abound. I can cruise 100-110km/h on the highway (flaty, no headwind on 37" tires), just takes me some time to get up to speed. Re-gearing for larger tires is also easy and you just need to swap the third members from an auto truck (all rear thirds 1979-1995 are the same). As mentioned before, the steering on a 89-95 truck is much more stronger than a Tacoma (steering box vs rack and pinion), the frames are fully boxed and thicker, the transfer case has a lever, have locking hubs (86-95 are all compatible). If buying a V6 89-95 truck make sure the headgasket recall was done on it.

Tacomas are a nicer truck, have more HP (2.7 and 3.4), more refined inside, factory electric rear lockers on TRD offroad models, wider wheelbase.

All of these issues might not be issues to you if your plan is just to replace/repair the suspension to make it more capable offroad.

here's a nice truck on kijiji

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-Toyota-Pickup-Truck-4X4-Auto-W0QQAdIdZ523976247

CalgaryXXL
10-21-2013, 12:52 PM
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/82033-3rd-gen-4runner-buyers-guide.html

cam_wmh
01-03-2014, 12:03 AM
Bumping this.

Looking to park my R for winters, and get a 4x4 lil truck. I will be tossing a sled in the back, but it will be parked in Golden predominantly, so it'll be short jaunts.

These old Taco's seem to fit the bill. (my only other car's than VW was an old Corolla and that thing was invincible)

Automatics vs Manuals? I have a preference for a Manual, and it looks like the "5VZFE V6 engine" is the engine of choice.

I see they have rust issues, any reasons not to spray the whole thing with box liner?

Any other advice others have, please share.

Thanks
Cam

AE92_TreunoSC
01-03-2014, 12:12 AM
The tacoma 5vz trucks don't have major issues with rust like the old 3vz trucks. Just the frame and a lot of them had a minor recall to address it.

There's a lot less issues with them, both the auto and manuals are equally durable. Only really have to look for standard items. These are the highlights on those trucks I look for.

-Timing belt history.
-Tune up history.
-Check for rear axle seal leakage into rear drums.
-Ebrake pivots in rear.

cam_wmh
01-03-2014, 12:43 AM
Here's a dumb question;

Swapping from Drums to Discs on the rear?

AndyL
01-03-2014, 01:17 AM
Possible but not worth the effort...

Usually front rotors then cadillac eldorado (mid 80s?) rear calipers, some clusterf*ck with metric to SAE brake fittings, and messy ebrake cable routing, then you've gotta play with pressure...

Basically - turns out the toyota brakes were pretty much on par with what the yota needs until you're retarded over weight, on 35s, and have a v8 getting you to speeds that are unsafe for a 4runner to travel :)

cam_wmh
01-03-2014, 02:41 AM
Gotcha. It's the sled in the back that concerns me.

4runneron36s
01-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Truck will be fine without rear discs

cam_wmh
01-15-2014, 02:09 AM
Having a time finding the right truck.

Tacoma vs Tacoma(1st gen) vs T100?