PDA

View Full Version : sunfire smells

sunfirechick
02-24-2004, 12:40 AM
what could cause this smell

TofuBoi
02-24-2004, 12:42 AM
LOL.................. MORE info needed!~!! what kinda smell..... where is it coming from? did u're cat die in the trunk? etc....

sunfirechick
02-24-2004, 12:48 AM
does anyone know much bout a sunfire

sunfirechick
02-24-2004, 12:53 AM
it only really smells when i start it and then when i turn it off it smells like rotten eggs pretty much

Hakkola
02-24-2004, 12:58 AM
hahahahaha, funny!!!

I know my buddy had an older Cavalier Z24 and it smelled like weed and onions, could just be the natural jbody smell? I've heard many cavalier owners complain about it.

sunfirechick
02-24-2004, 01:01 AM
its so bad it makes me gag what could i do to make it stop

izzoblitzo
02-24-2004, 01:09 AM
*L* reminds me of my cousins accord once.. we got in, and we were like, the hell?? the car reeked like crazy.. so we look everywhere, and I find a fish in a bag.. under the seat. turns out his dad took the car to chinatown earlier that day, and didnt know his groceries rolled out under the seat. hahaha:D

FiveFreshFish
02-24-2004, 01:10 AM
Maybe you've got a dead rodent in your heater. :dunno:

sunfirechick
02-24-2004, 01:11 AM
thanks

D'z Nutz
02-24-2004, 01:15 AM
You guys really need to start helping people out when they're looking for (legitimate) help and keeping the wise cracks in Loung and Ask Leo.

Anyways, a search on "egg smell" turned this up:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7478&highlight=egg+smell
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3637&highlight=egg+smell
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2658&highlight=egg+smell

Maybe it'll help with your problem, maybe not but it'd be your first helpful suggestion.

^SkylinE^
02-24-2004, 01:16 AM
Its a sunfire........... its to be expected!:rofl:
Could it be the catalitic converter?

sunfirechick
02-24-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by ^SkylinE^
Its a sunfire........... its to be expected!:rofl:
Could it be the catalitic converter?

thats what i was thinkin but wasnt for sure

sunfirechick
02-24-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
You guys really need to start helping people out when they're looking for (legitimate) help and keeping the wise cracks in Loung and Ask Leo.

Anyways, a search on "egg smell" turned this up:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7478&highlight=egg+smell
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3637&highlight=egg+smell
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2658&highlight=egg+smell

Maybe it'll help with your problem, maybe not but it'd be your first helpful suggestion.

thanks

^SkylinE^
02-24-2004, 01:25 AM
Awsome Thread !!!!
Best thread ever!!!!
:rofl:
You just opened an other thread about how your car stinks? whats the deal?

Weapon_R
02-24-2004, 01:27 AM
Please post in the correct section - and try and make your posts a little more constructive and detailed so that other members can help you out.

Superesc
02-24-2004, 01:29 AM
Moved to General....

sunfirechick
02-24-2004, 01:30 AM
Awsome Thread !!!!
Best thread ever!!!!
:rofl:
You just opened an other thread about how your car stinks? whats the deal?

screw u dude

^SkylinE^
02-24-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by sunfirechick

screw u dude
:drama:

sunfirechick
02-24-2004, 01:45 AM

:drama:

i dont see y u have to act like u do

CKY
02-24-2004, 02:07 AM

i dont see y u have to act like u do

:werd:

RickDaTuner
02-24-2004, 07:23 AM
car will usaly give of a a rotten egg smell when it is getting to much fuel and it isnt being combusted properly usally causes by a vaccum leak or by a faulty catalitic converter,my guess would be that your cars needs a good tune up IE change the sparg plugs the Distributor and the Rotor, the air filters and the oil if you dont see a gain in km/s per tank then take it in to a Mechanic to try and Figure out why your car is giving of a rotten smell

Khyron
02-24-2004, 12:05 PM
Actually it's pretty common. There's been more than a few new VW guys bitching about the smell, and even more complain of a "crayon" smell. Cat is most obvious (or an o2 sensor), but there's a bunch of other things. When a VW coil blows, the car REEKS of sulphur. Can't hurt to check your plugs - do you notice a difference if you start in the cold as opposed to warm? The reek goes away after driving awhile? Does it come in through the AC vents or from the exhause?

Khyron

QuasarCav
02-24-2004, 12:07 PM
does the smell go away when car is warm??

My cavy did that and it was the Cat.

Get some guy to chop it off for cheap, or pay for a high-flow.

T5_X
02-24-2004, 12:11 PM
I did a lot of research on this because my girlfriend was freaking out that her car was fucked lol.

Anyway, your cat takes the sulfur out of fuel and it gets deposited in your cat. When your car is running rich (like letting up on the throttle after spirited driving), unburnt fuel will react with these deposits to form hydrogen sulfide gas, which smells like rotten eggs. The smell is actually an indicator that your cat is working at high efficiency. Its really more a problem of gas companies doing a shitty job in keeping sulfur contents low in thier gas.

There is most likely no problem. This seems to be a common occurence in j-bodies, leading me to suspect that they either have 3-way cats that are large and store sulfur in large amounts, or the cars have poor A/F metering.

Davan
02-24-2004, 12:44 PM

thats what i was thinkin but wasnt for sure

That's exactly what it is. My last car, Cavalier Z24 (exact same car as the Sunfire GT), had the exact same smell.

Only Jack Carter Chev wouldn't replace the part under warranty because I had an aftermarket intake installed. :rolleyes:

sunfirechick
02-25-2004, 12:14 AM
thanks everyone

sunfirechick
02-25-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
does the smell go away when car is warm??

My cavy did that and it was the Cat.

Get some guy to chop it off for cheap, or pay for a high-flow.

no one will b/c your not suppose to drive without or replace it. so no muffler places will but thanks

GorG
02-25-2004, 12:20 AM
somehtings rotting in your system for sure, when did you frist notice it?, also do you have a block heater cuz if you do, it can be a rat. I say this for the reason because stray animals, go to heat, and when your cars hooked up it gives off heat, and usually they crall as close as they can so under hood, and then you start you car, and its over for them. and yea if you just noticed this when it got cold or not to long ago, then sorry to say that probably the case,its happened to me before, cept not with a j body

JordanLotoski
02-25-2004, 12:22 AM
evere hear of a dutch oven........:D

sunfirechick
02-25-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by GorG
somehtings rotting in your system for sure, when did you frist notice it?, also do you have a block heater cuz if you do, it can be a rat. I say this for the reason because stray animals, go to heat, and when your cars hooked up it gives off heat, and usually they crall as close as they can so under hood, and then you start you car, and its over for them. and yea if you just noticed this when it got cold or not to long ago, then sorry to say that probably the case,its happened to me before, cept not with a j body

thats not it but thanks

JordanLotoski
02-25-2004, 12:25 AM
lemme put 2 and 2 together........gurl in a 5 speed....iam thinking its your fried clutch?

4CylFiero
02-25-2004, 12:26 AM
Pull off your hub caps and check if someone shoved something under them. :P

sunfirechick
02-25-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by SIRCANADA
lemme put 2 and 2 together........gurl in a 5 speed....iam thinking its your fried clutch?

thats why you look stupid its not a five speed and sorry gurl comment stupid b/c i know how to drive my car

sunfirechick
02-25-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by 4CylFiero
Pull off your hub caps and check if someone shoved something under them. :P

dont have hub caps babe just got mr7's

JordanLotoski
02-25-2004, 12:36 AM
ohhhhh yeah got me there.....lol.......and no i dont look like an idiot..iam not the one with a stinky car

sunfirechick
02-25-2004, 12:38 AM
ohhhhh yeah got me there.....lol.......and no i dont look like an idiot..iam not the one with a stinky car

i really cant help that now can i

GorG
02-25-2004, 12:38 AM
^^^^^:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:, damn it sunfire girl you messed it up, yea hes got a point hes not the one witht he stinky car

sunfirechick
02-25-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by GorG
^^^^^:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:, damn it sunfire girl you messed it up, yea hes got a point hes not the one witht he stinky car

oh well i think its stupid how guys think b/c ur a gurl you cant drive and im sorry i can

sunfirechick
02-25-2004, 12:42 AM

oh well i think its stupid how guys think b/c ur a gurl you cant drive and im sorry i can

i drive better than most guys in my town

Khyron
02-25-2004, 12:42 AM
do you notice a difference if you start in the cold as opposed to warm? The reek goes away after driving awhile? Does it come in through the AC vents or from the exhaust?

^^^^

If it was mine, I'd go out for a hard 30 min drive, and really put it through its paces.

Khyron

sunfirechick
02-25-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

^^^^

If it was mine, I'd go out for a hard 30 min drive, and really put it through its paces.

Khyron

it comes from the exhaust sorry i didnt reply to ur questions. oh it really just started this winter. i have

sunfirechick
02-25-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

^^^^

Khyron

and yes it does go away after driving awhile

JordanLotoski
02-25-2004, 01:08 AM

i drive better than most guys in my town

what town would that be BALZAC?

sunfirechick
02-25-2004, 01:21 AM

what town would that be BALZAC?

how funny no owensboro do u know where that is?

rice_eater
02-26-2004, 10:55 AM
see, threads like this is what makes Beyond such a USELESS place to look for GOOD car related info! Everyone is a fuckin smartass with very little to contribute to the actual topic, but everyone's damn good at witty remarks they picked up off others here. Sunfirechick you're not any better yourself! If you dig through the useless posts you'll find that a bunch of people have told you to fix your cat! Have you? NO! what the hell do you expect then? Yes you can get your cat gutted since a lot of people including myself have done that, but it'll probably be best if you just buy a new high flow one which would cost you about $100, will be cheaper than OEM and will be better flowing. CATCO makes pretty good ones... Glad to see you can drive btw :thumbsup:

T5_X
02-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater
see, threads like this is what makes Beyond such a USELESS place to look for GOOD car related info! Everyone is a fuckin smartass with very little to contribute to the actual topic, but everyone's damn good at witty remarks they picked up off others here. Sunfirechick you're not any better yourself! If you dig through the useless posts you'll find that a bunch of people have told you to fix your cat! Have you? NO! what the hell do you expect then? Yes you can get your cat gutted since a lot of people including myself have done that, but it'll probably be best if you just buy a new high flow one which would cost you about $100, will be cheaper than OEM and will be better flowing. CATCO makes pretty good ones... Glad to see you can drive btw :thumbsup:

Actually, I suggested she NOT replace her cat. There is probably absolutly nothing wrong with it.

rice_eater
02-26-2004, 11:09 AM
rotten egg smell coming from the EXHAUST. what else could it be :confused: :dunno:

edit: read your post again man and if you did your research then i'm sure you're a couple steps ahead. But it just doesn't make sense to me why any car manufacturer would let something like that go unchecked and after 5 years still not having a TSB out for it. Also, replacing the cat with a highflow one, wouldn't that fix the possible problems that you saw with it? Just wondering for shits and giggles

sunfirechick
02-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater

thanks for the information i am in the process of gettin a new one

T5_X
02-26-2004, 08:32 PM

thanks for the information i am in the process of gettin a new one

:rolleyes:
Didn't think you'd be smart enough to listen to my advice anyway.

phucheweasswhol
02-26-2004, 09:08 PM
Pay no attention to these post whore morons. A forum is a place for chat and car help...not verbal and sexual abuse.

To your problem...do you live somewhere cold? If so there are additives added to the gas in the winter months and these additives give off a rotten egg smell...somewhat like some of these posters. It should go back to normal in the summer.

If you live somewhere warm...try changing fuel stations. If that doesn't help get your oxy sensors check along with your cat. converter.

Cheers
PS..not all of the people in here are children.

sunfirechick
02-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by phucheweasswhol
Pay no attention to these post whore morons. A forum is a place for chat and car help...not verbal and sexual abuse.

To your problem...do you live somewhere cold? If so there are additives added to the gas in the winter months and these additives give off a rotten egg smell...somewhat like some of these posters. It should go back to normal in the summer.

If you live somewhere warm...try changing fuel stations. If that doesn't help get your oxy sensors check along with your cat. converter.

Cheers
PS..not all of the people in here are children.

hey your actually nice unlike others i live in kentucky so it doesnt get really cold here but the smell is gettin better because i got my gas from somewhere else instead of the same place. its nice havin someone not being so hateful actin.

thanks alot brandi

sunfirechick
02-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by T5_X

:rolleyes:
Didn't think you'd be smart enough to listen to my advice anyway.

why b/c im a girl?

finboy
02-26-2004, 09:30 PM

why b/c im a girl?

my guess would be because of the automatic sunfire

phucheweasswhol
02-26-2004, 09:33 PM
No prob...don't get that cat replace at a cost to you if it the problem.

They have a 8 year warranty or something like that...at least in Canada they do. Check with the dealer.

But I wouldn't think it was your cat.

Cheers..:thumbsup:

sunfirechick
02-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by finboy

my guess would be because of the automatic sunfire

how you figure he was sayin he didnt think i was smart enough to take his advice

sunfirechick
02-26-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by phucheweasswhol
No prob...don't get that cat replace at a cost to you if it the problem.

They have a 8 year warranty or something like that...at least in Canada they do. Check with the dealer.

But I wouldn't think it was your cat.

Cheers..:thumbsup:

thanks alot:)

finboy
02-26-2004, 11:28 PM

how you figure

you willingly bought an auto sunfire, what more needs to be explained :dunno:

sunfirechick
02-26-2004, 11:41 PM
okay sorry misunderstanding:dunno: i guess