PDA

View Full Version : installing an kitchen island

winson2001
09-16-2013, 11:00 AM
is there a beyond trusted contractor that can install an kitchen island with electrical plug-in for my brand new condo? problem here is, the developer (greenview development at sagestone) wont let me do it as an upgrade, and wont agree to pre-wire anything, so I'm left with putting one in after I receives the condo. But with developed basement and hardwood floor in the kitchen, is it even doable? I have requested a walk through when the wires are in and before drywall goes on, in thinking that it might help if I can take some pics of where thew wires are. Can someone give me some insights on this issue?

Thanks in advance

CapnCrunch
09-16-2013, 11:21 AM
If they won't prewire, it is going to be a pain in the ass to do later.

FixedGear
09-16-2013, 12:12 PM
what the hell, why won't they wire it for you?. what a shitty builder.

masoncgy
09-16-2013, 12:46 PM
It sounds to me like OP wants to install an island AFTER possession by someone else, so if he's requesting the builder pre-wire the location for a future island, but the builder is not putting in, I can see why the builder would say no.

There would be a pre-run wire sticking out of the floor with nothing over top of it, or perhaps capped off or something, wouldn't pass any inspection, I don't think.

If I am wrong, correct me, but that's what I get reading the post.

hurrdurr
09-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Yeah, seems like OP is just being cheap and doesn't want to pay for the upgrade

If they already said no, i'm not sure what the discussion is.

Likely cost you more in the long run to do it after the fact.

winson2001
09-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
It sounds to me like OP wants to install an island AFTER possession by someone else, so if he's requesting the builder pre-wire the location for a future island, but the builder is not putting in, I can see why the builder would say no.

There would be a pre-run wire sticking out of the floor with nothing over top of it, or perhaps capped off or something, wouldn't pass any inspection, I don't think.

exactly

Tik-Tok
09-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy

If they pre-ran the wiring in the basement ceiling, and had it capped off properly in an outlet box, and had the box accessible from the basement (as in, hasn't been dry-walled over), then it would pass inspection, and there would be no need to have anything sticking out of the kitchen floor (or even a hole) until the island was installed.

speedog
09-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by winson2001
is there a beyond trusted contractor that can install an kitchen island with electrical plug-in for my brand new condo? problem here is, the developer (greenview development at sagestone) wont let me do it as an upgrade, and wont agree to pre-wire anything, so I'm left with putting one in after I receives the condo. But with developed basement and hardwood floor in the kitchen, is it even doable? I have requested a walk through when the wires are in and before drywall goes on, in thinking that it might help if I can take some pics of where thew wires are. Can someone give me some insights on this issue?

Thanks in advance

So to be clear, is it written somewhere in your agreement with the developer that kitchen islands aren't an optional upgrade?

winson2001
09-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by speedog

So to be clear, is it written somewhere in your agreement with the developer that kitchen islands aren't an optional upgrade?

hmmm good point, dont recall anything on that topic, maybe i'll read through the contract again after work. But what if they dont let you get your own guys to do work on the condo, and they just simply dont give you such option, then i'd still be stuck. cuz its hard to state every possible upgrade that they dont let you do on paper, but it'll make sence to not let anyone other then their contractors to do work to the condo. so it'll be like i walk into say mini and ask for a monster truck version of it, which they prolly dont have such option and they prolly wont let you work on the car before you actually got the car....

benyl
09-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Just get the contractor that will install the island to rip up part of the hardwood floor that is smaller than the island will be. Fish the line through the floor / ceiling.

I don't know why this seems so hard to do?

danno
09-16-2013, 02:07 PM
If the basement isn't developed its super easy.you can pm me if you like.

speedog
09-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Just get the contractor that will install the island to rip up part of the hardwood floor that is smaller than the island will be. Fish the line through the floor / ceiling.

I don't know why this seems so hard to do?
Maybe because the line won't be there in the basement to fish through to the main floor pet the OP's statements above? And to fish a new line from the electrical panel through a basement with completely finished walls/ceiling to a point underneath where the maim floor kitchen island the OP wants is going to probably prove to be quite difficult.

speedog
09-16-2013, 02:16 PM
What are people missing here? OP has stated that the basement will be finished for their possession and that the developer won't pull in said optional electrical line to a spot under the main floor before possession. That said, OP has to look over their contract to see if there are any options available to them or have a discussion with their developer.

CapnCrunch
09-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by speedog
What are people missing here? OP has stated that the basement will be finished for their possession and that the developer won't pull in said optional electrical line to a spot under the main floor before possession. That said, OP has to look over their contract to see if there are any options available to them or have a discussion with their developer.

I have no idea why everyone is calling him cheap lol. The guy just wants an island and the builder won't put one in for him.

It's a shit load of work to rip open the ceiling drywall to fish a single wire in for the island after the fact.

danno
09-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Yep I didn't read. Haha. Still doable drill down and fish across it all depends on where the kitchen is located and the way the joists run. Just need the right tools for the job.

benyl
09-16-2013, 04:29 PM
A finished basement isn't always completely finished. There is going to be plenty of ways of fishing a line through.

OP: Why don't you ask for a conduit in the floor. Or hell, put one in yourself.

winson2001
09-16-2013, 04:42 PM
they refused to pre-wire for me, n if they let me do it, I'd have professional contractor to run a few wires for me like tv cables and i'd like an extra few light at a few spots :(

benyl
09-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Conduit is not a prewire. It is a plastic pipe that you install so that it is easier to fish the lines.

At the very least you should have conduit going from your mechanical room to every floor in the house.

winson2001
09-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Conduit is not a prewire. It is a plastic pipe that you install so that it is easier to fish the lines.

At the very least you should have conduit going from your mechanical room to every floor in the house.

ahhh thats a great idea, I'll ask if they will do that for me, tho I doubt that they will, but that be a great solution if they do :D