PDA

View Full Version : Moving TV to otherside of room

JordanEG6
09-16-2013, 01:40 PM
I have a coax cable jack on one side of the room on the west wall. However, I would like the TV to be on the opposite side (east wall).

Are there any decent solutions to route 1 coax cable across the room without punching out any holes in the wall or running loose cable across the floor? I prefer it to be a clean/seamless set up. Any suggestions?

wtf im nameless
09-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Depends on the room.

You may be able to remove your baseboard and run it under/behind it. Also, if the floor above or below is undeveloped it may be easier to just run a new cable straight from the demarc.

What area are you in?

JordanEG6
09-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by wtf im nameless
Depends on the room.

You may be able to remove your baseboard and run it under/behind it. Also, if the floor above or below is undeveloped it may be easier to just run a new cable straight from the demarc.

What area are you in?

It doesn't look like I can remove the baseboards. It appears to be sealed But I can double check. And the room is on the second floor of the main, so I can't run new cable underneath.

danno
09-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Go through the attic depending where the walls are it could be easy or hard.

wtf im nameless
09-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Is the basement undeveloped? and is there attic access? Usually you can get from the basement to the attic without too much difficulty. Is the ceiling vaulted in the room where you want to move the TV?

Mitsu3000gt
09-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

It doesn't look like I can remove the baseboards. It appears to be sealed But I can double check. And the room is on the second floor of the main, so I can't run new cable underneath.

If there is carpet/underlay, take the butt end of a butter knife or large flat head screw driver, and you can push the cable under where the bottom of the baseboard meets the carpet. That's what I've always done.

CapnCrunch
09-16-2013, 02:43 PM

What do you mean the baseboards are sealed?

What do you mean by second floor of the main? Main floor? Second floor?

I've pushed the cable under the baseboard like Mitsu mentioned. It works well in carpeted areas.

JRSC00LUDE
09-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

What do you mean the baseboards are sealed?

What do you mean by second floor of the main? Main floor? Second floor?

I've pushed the cable under the baseboard like Mitsu mentioned. It works well in carpeted areas.

I imagine he means some idiot caulked the tops of the baseboards and the room is on the second floor of a two-storey.

JordanEG6
09-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

I imagine he means some idiot caulked the tops of the baseboards and the room is on the second floor of a two-storey.

Exactly.

roopi
09-16-2013, 03:14 PM

Exactly.

You should be able to push the cable under the baseboards still as mentioned previously. Easiest solution. :thumbsup:

SOAB
09-16-2013, 03:43 PM
only if it is carpeted.

easiest solution is to leave the TV where it is. :D

triplep
09-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Have you looked at just getting a wireless transmitter? I mean you aren't going through any walls, and from the sounds of it, it isn't going far? You won't have to run any cables etc? I am not sure how well these work these days, but it may solve your issue.

JordanEG6
09-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by triplep
Have you looked at just getting a wireless transmitter? I mean you aren't going through any walls, and from the sounds of it, it isn't going far? You won't have to run any cables etc? I am not sure how well these work these days, but it may solve your issue.

They have wireless transmitters for coax cable? If this is common knowledge that actually exists, then I am retarded. Any info would help.

Tik-Tok
09-17-2013, 08:30 AM
http://www.actiontec.com/219.html

ronaldo
09-17-2013, 08:33 AM
If your with Shaw they will come and move it for you for free. I once had a tech come spend two hours at my place moving an outlet and he did a great clean job. No fee. At least they used to do that...

wtf im nameless
09-17-2013, 08:41 AM

They have wireless transmitters for coax cable? If this is common knowledge that actually exists, then I am retarded. Any info would help.

It's not a wireless transmitter for coax cable, it's a wireless HDMI transmitter and I've yet to see one where the picture doesn't randomly cut out for a few seconds. You should only consider using one if no other options are available.

mr2mike
09-17-2013, 08:44 AM
I wouldn't trust Shaw to run the cable "clean and neat".
I've seen them do the laziest route...
Run coax over the roof
Run coax outside, draped along the eaves
Punch holes through window casings

Not once have I seen them fish coax anywhere.

OP: Run some cable covers that go above the baseboard. Depending on the baseboard, it can look pretty clean to people not looking for the cable route.
Wireless transmitters seem to not work too well.

edit: Link http://www.cableorganizer.com/cable-raceway/

spike98
09-17-2013, 09:00 AM
What provider are you with Jordan? I am not entirely familiar with Shaw systems but i know Telus Optik only requires a connection to the internet. This can be done through several ways.

You can use a Powerline Adapter that uses your house power wiring, 110v plug ins and converters to transmit data. This works great but can experience issues with houses that have old wiring. Another option is to skip the coax all together and go with Cat6 (or 5e). Perhaps you have a wall plate for this already located where you want to move the TV. One thing that SHOULD work but i haven't tried is a wifi bridge. The "N" standard should be capable enough for a telus box or perhaps the new "AC" standard if you want some overhead for a HTPC at that location as well. This MAY cause you issues if you are hooking up a PVR as well as it takes on a heavy load when recording multiple shows.

Seth1968
09-17-2013, 09:13 AM
I think there is such thing as 1/8" round coax, as well as "ribbon" coax.

Maybe that will give you some ideas.

JordanEG6
09-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by spike98
What provider are you with Jordan? I am not entirely familiar with Shaw systems but i know Telus Optik only requires a connection to the internet. This can be done through several ways.

You can use a Powerline Adapter that uses your house power wiring, 110v plug ins and converters to transmit data. This works great but can experience issues with houses that have old wiring. Another option is to skip the coax all together and go with Cat6 (or 5e). Perhaps you have a wall plate for this already located where you want to move the TV. One thing that SHOULD work but i haven't tried is a wifi bridge. The "N" standard should be capable enough for a telus box or perhaps the new "AC" standard if you want some overhead for a HTPC at that location as well. This MAY cause you issues if you are hooking up a PVR as well as it takes on a heavy load when recording multiple shows.

I'm with Shaw. Not sure how they can work with moving the set ups in different locations of the room. The Cat5e plug ins are where the coax is, so it's the same situation for that.

raceman6135
09-17-2013, 11:52 PM
You could try a moulding that mounts above your existing baseboard (paintable to match either your baseboard or wall colour), like this available via mail order:

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/smooth-mould-cord-cover.php

Or this, carried at Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/plastic-cordmate-ii-kit-white/911643

Another HD option:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/cornermate-home-entertainment-kit-white/911728

Or if you don't mind doing a bit of work, remove your existing baseboard and router or dado a channel on the backside of the baseboard, large enough to conceal the coax.

A bit more work would be to put spacer strips behind your existing baseboard to create a channel through which you can run the coax, like this:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/bigmouthindc/DSC00987.jpg