PDA

View Full Version : Broken rib(s). When to see a doc?

Seth1968
09-18-2013, 09:55 AM
It's been two weeks now, and it doesn't seem to be healing AT ALL.

Sneezing or coughing results in a sharp, jolting pain. It's a chore to get in and out of bed, or even in and out of my car. It doesn't hurt to breathe though.lol

Is it time to get it an xray, or is this normal for broken ribs?

Disoblige
09-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Are you fucking dumb?
Totally did not expect someone like you to be this stupid.

CanmoreOrLess
09-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Might not be a broken rib, it does not take much to cause the type of pain you are having. Could be broken, cracked, slightly moved from the proper place (my money is on this), etc. See a doctor today, might only need a chiro to pop it back in place (15 minutes). Something only a GP can know for certain in five minutes.

Seth1968
09-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Are you fucking dumb?
Totally did not expect someone like you to be this stupid.

I don't have any other symptoms and I can breath fine. I also have full mobility, other than the pain I get when the rib muscles are contracted (as in getting in and out of the car).

Seth1968
09-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Might not be a broken rib, it does not take much to cause the type of pain you are having. Could be broken, cracked, slightly moved from the proper place (my money is on this), etc. See a doctor today, might only need a chiro to pop it back in place (15 minutes). Something only a GP can know for certain in five minutes.

Thanks.

That's exactly what it feels like. Like a rib or two is out of place.

Off to the doc.

Disoblige
09-18-2013, 10:09 AM
2 weeks, not healing at all, and you still have the stupidity to post on Beyond asking if you need to see a doctor.

Don't get hit by a train on your way to see the doctor.. :rolleyes:

JRSC00LUDE
09-18-2013, 10:13 AM
2 weeks, not healing at all, and you still have the stupidity to post on Beyond asking if you need to see a doctor.

Ever broken ribs before? There's nothing a Dr. can do about it other than give you some painkillers so, especially if you've done it before, it's pretty common not to bother even going. Personally, I wouldn't call that dumb. :dunno:

At this point, it may not hurt to get an xray but I very likely wouldn't have gone in till now (if at all) either, it takes time to heal - more than two weeks.

Seth1968
09-18-2013, 10:14 AM

FFS. Settle down there cowboy. lol

I just found out that they'll take 1 to 2 months to heal. All I'm trying to find out is if these symptoms are still normal after 2 weeks, so I can avoid sitting in a waiting room for an hour.

revelations
09-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Dude, you work in IT and you didnt use "the google" :dunno: (at least to get an idea) ....

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/fractured-rib-topic-overview

Disoblige
09-18-2013, 10:17 AM
k, I give in. Not going to argue with the black guy eating a big sandwich.

JRSC00LUDE
09-18-2013, 10:19 AM
^

:love:

Seth1968
09-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Dude, you work in IT and you didnt use "the google" :dunno: (at least to get an idea) ....

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/fractured-rib-topic-overview

I did somewhat. It's just the info was too vague for what I wanted to know.

austic
09-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Ever broken ribs before? There's nothing a Dr. can do about it other than give you some painkillers so, especially if you've done it before, it's pretty common not to bother even going. Personally, I wouldn't call that dumb. :dunno:

At this point, it may not hurt to get an xray but I very likely wouldn't have gone in till now (if at all) either, it takes time to heal - more than two weeks.
I would do the same thing, Painkillers and time off are pretty much the only thing they give or tell you.

You can tell the people that have had this injury from the ones who havent pretty easy in this thread.

Seth1968
09-18-2013, 10:25 AM

That's how I got the broken ribs:rofl:

poison
09-18-2013, 10:25 AM
I had similar symptoms when I separated a couple ribs from my sternum snowboarding , I think its called floating ribs or somethin

Disoblige
09-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I'm sure Seth broke his ribs tons of times before and knows exactly what's going on :rofl:
You're right guys, he totally didn't need to see the doctor. He should have just taken the chance and not waste 1 hour of his time.

Seth1968
09-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I'm sure Seth broke his ribs tons of times before and knows exactly what's going on :rofl:

Ya well, there's more than one train:D

davidI
09-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by austic

You can tell the people that have had this injury from the ones who havent pretty easy in this thread.

4 weeks into healing fractured ribs myself. First 2 weeks were very painful and it didn't feel like it was healing at all. 3rd week it only hurt when I sneezed or coughed. Now I can barely feel anything but I'm still trying to take it easy.

Biggest things I read / learned is that you should try to take deep breaths as often as possible to avoid getting pneumonia.

I didn't see a doctor and am healing fine...

Kloubek
09-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Ribs take a long, long time to heal. I did something to mine several years ago and I still felt some discomfort even a year later. The first 2-3 weeks were really painful and the healing process was slow thereafter as well.

It's one of those things (as has been said) that they can't do much about, unfortunately.

austic
09-18-2013, 09:42 PM
I think if you can get through the first week trying to sleep you are fine.

FixedGear
09-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Could also be that you tore or damaged your interstitial muscles - exactly the symptoms you describe. Blocs can't do anything about it except tell yountonwait, takes a couple of months and in the meantime it hurts like fucking hell to do anything, even just breathing.

Unknown303
09-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Only babies go to the doctor.

Kobe
09-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Mine have been damaged for 7 weeks now, still hurts.. I ended up going to a doctor to get it checked out since I came into Canada for a few days, I have internal bruising I guess. Last 2 weeks I've been coughing a ton, before it just hurt like a mother fucker..

Zero Fucks! Happened to me 1st night of Yacht week I guess doing Front Flips for 10M piss drunk isn't the best idea.

Just suck it up and hope it isn't to bad!

AudiPWR
09-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Your ribs are probably just bruised.

I've broken more than 14 ribs, and bruised my ribs more than 5-6 times.

The difference in the pain is huge, if it doesn't hurt to breath then they aren't broken. Bruised ribs can take up to a month to heal and will still hurt.