PDA

View Full Version : car purchase

Roadqueen
09-18-2013, 12:57 PM
my mother purchased a vehicle from kijiji. The ad didn't say it was as is. It said the brakes were done and bearings were done and a few other things. When she got it to the garage, all the brakes had to be done down to rotors, plus a bearing, tie rod, motor mount and solenoid. When I called her about it, she said the brakes had been done 6 months before. The garage guy disagrees. She told me she always goes to the same garage to get things done. When I asked her to get me the receipt she said it was done under the table and couldn't get me a receipt. Is there anything that can be done about this as it will cost my mother quite a bit of money to safety.

Kloubek
09-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Nope - nothing you can do unless you have in writing (or in the ad) the claims that were made.

quick_scar
09-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Nope - nothing you can do unless you have in writing (or in the ad) the claims that were made.

Even then, good luck getting anything from the seller. It would be a super long, drawn out process that would take years to resolve.

Take this as one of those buyer beware situations, and in the future, get it inspected before buying. Anytime you are spending a large amount of money, more then you are willing to lose, make sure you dot your I's and cross your T's.

Mitsu3000gt
09-18-2013, 01:14 PM
She bought a used car without getting an inspection, there is nothing she can do. Due diligence is entirely the responsibility of the buyer. Consider it a lesson learned and move on.

Even if the seller somehow was somehow obligated to help out (they aren't) it would be so difficult getting money from them the effort required would far outweigh any sort of refund.

I'm afraid she's SOL. Get an inspection next time around.

Roadqueen
09-18-2013, 01:15 PM
The kijiji ad said the brakes were done and bearings were done, I have a copy of the ad. It was a 2000 ford focus with 167953klms. The ad stated the brakes were done and bearings were done. Isn't that false advertising? Especially as the are not done.

Mitsu3000gt
09-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Roadqueen
The kijiji ad said the brakes were done and bearings were done, I have a copy of the ad. It was a 2000 ford focus with 167953klms. The ad stated the brakes were done and bearings were done. Isn't that false advertising? Especially as the are not done.

It doesn't matter what the ad said. It is the buyer's responsibility to verify any claims being made by the seller. You can't just take some guy's word for it, especially on Kijiji haha. Every private used car sold in Alberta is as-is where-is even if not specified.

Again, even if you could somehow go after the seller, the time, effort, and money required to do so would FAR outweigh any sort of refund.

ALWAYS get an inspection before buying a used car. Even if the seller is 100% honest, there may be things they aren't aware of.

lilmira
09-18-2013, 01:25 PM
That's kinda ambigious. What's "done"? like "done" as "toast", due to replace or done as "replaced". Either way, the deal is done I'm afraid.

Who can say if the new owner didn't just replace the good ones with worn out parts?

Roadqueen
09-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Yes, I guess you are right. I only thought because she is 87 that something could be done.

lilmira
09-18-2013, 01:45 PM
May be the past owner is honest but the garage people ripped her off? That could happen too. Your mother is 87? Your family should take better care of her.

Mitsu3000gt
09-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Yes, I guess you are right. I only thought because she is 87 that something could be done.

Was nobody able to go with her during the purchase?

austic
09-18-2013, 01:46 PM
So becasue she is old laws and ads apply differently? would it make a difference if she was 16? or 116?

speedog
09-18-2013, 01:53 PM
WTF?

Because someone is older, they should get a break?

At 87, someone should've maybe been on the lookout on her behalf or for her. Now I realize that she might very well be a very independent senior but there are people looking to make an easy buck everywhere out there including kijiji and often a senior is one demographic that is very vulnerable to a smooth talking shuckster - hell, even my parents, who are in their late 70's almost got caught by the "infamous your grand-kid is in jail scam". I honestly expected more of them, that they would be capable of discerning the difference between a scam and something that isn't and thankfully in their case, they called me on another line to verify where my son was.

OP - take this lesson as an example that you or someone else in your family has to start watching out for your mother's affairs a bit. Maybe not everything but remain in closer contact so you know what's going on in her life - sounds like she's been scammed once now and that would make me nervous about her being vulnerable another time with even greater risks. There are just too many scum out there that are all too willing to take advantage of a senior.

Roadqueen
09-18-2013, 02:03 PM
It's not that I think she should have a break. I try to look out for her but I am on the road as I drive transport and can't always get home or reach her. I don't have any siblings to look out for her, I do know she can be stubborn about things. She has an elderly friend in the aptmt bldg she resides in but a lot of her friends have passed. Some days I am at my wits end as to what to do with her. This is just another thing to contend with.

revelations
09-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Expensive lesson, but thats what stubbornness get you unfortunately. Buyer beware :(

triplep
09-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Some days I am at my wits end as to what to do with her. This is just another thing to contend with.

http://www.chartwell.com/locations/chartwell-select-queens-square-terrace/index.php

http://www.caressantcare.com/nursinghomes/nursing_countrymanor.html

http://www.peoplecare.ca/hilltop%20index.html

:dunno: Maybe its time?

Roadqueen
09-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks triplep for the info. I have mentioned nursing homes before but she refuses, she likes her own place and independence. She is in very good shape for her age. She goes for a walk almost every day and doesn't like to depend on people. Hence the car to go get groceries and to church. I might have to find work in town so I can keep a better eye on her although I really like my job and have been doing it for 13 years. I'll just say my prayers and hope everything works out.

Kloubek
09-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by quick_scar
Even then, good luck getting anything from the seller. It would be a super long, drawn out process that would take years to resolve.

Well that depends. Some sellers might be willing to bend if you show them there was incorrect statements in their ad and you suggest you are going to take them to court. I know someone who purchased a vehicle because it had low (96,000) kilometers as per the ad, and confirmed by the owner in person. He also said it had been in no accidents. When she bought the car and I drove it on the highway, I could see right away that it was in miles and not kilometers, and that there was some pretty obvious body repair done on it. After some back and forth and somewhat tense moments, I got her the money back. (Minus $100 for the owner's time, since it should have been better inspected during the test drive on her part)

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

It doesn't matter what the ad said. It is the buyer's responsibility to verify any claims being made by the seller. You can't just take some guy's word for it, especially on Kijiji haha. Every private used car sold in Alberta is as-is where-is even if not specified.

While used vehicles are indeed buyer beware, I believe a court may side with the buyer if the seller knowingly misrepresented the car to such a degree that it dramatically alters what it would have been worth. Fraud is fraud. It's just very difficult to prove such things and what someone said verbally is pretty much useless. But if he has a copy of the ad that explicitly made a claim, I think a case could be made. With that said, I think it would have to be a pretty major act of misrepresentation for the courts to side with the buyer. In this particular case I think it is irrelevant anyway since apparently the seller claimed these things were "done". That's a pretty ambiguous statement.

Sugarphreak
09-18-2013, 11:11 PM

Roadqueen
09-19-2013, 03:54 AM
I guess the best thing is to purchase from a dealer. Oh well, what's done is done. The car is being repaired at her cost and hopefully the lesson is learned. Until the next time. lol

revelations
09-19-2013, 09:54 AM
I guess the best thing is to purchase from a dealer. Oh well, what's done is done. The car is being repaired at her cost and hopefully the lesson is learned. Until the next time. lol

Unfortunately thats no guarantee either, as the dozens of threads here point out. IMO wsed car dealers are shadier than the average person selling on Kijiji.

Only way is to go through a dealer, but then you pay PST and their insane markups.

Kloubek
09-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I never trust dealer "inspections". It's nice added security, but to be truly sure you need to bring a vehicle to an independent garage.

But then, out of nearly 40 vehicles I've only bought 2 from dealerships. Tax and markup? No thanks.