PDA

View Full Version : car tent/portable garages

Idiot Stick
09-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Hey folks, was hoping to get some opinions on good sturdy car tents? I need to store my Mr2 and the garage ive rented in previous years was sold so im looking for better options. Do any of you folks use car tents/portable garages? Or have in the past? Any suggestions?

Dont want to have to worry about the poles falling in and busting my glass roof :s

Kloubek
09-19-2013, 03:08 PM
I've heard nothing but bad shit about those car tents. Even ones which *seemed* sturdy always seem to fall apart from the wind or snow loads at some point.

If you don't intend on driving it in the winter, perhaps find a spot on an outdoor lot, through a cover over it and call it a day? (Season?)

ercchry
09-19-2013, 03:58 PM
with my industry experience... they all suck. but basically anything less than our structures suck. i might be bias? lol

ExtraSlow
09-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Gravel storage yard with a car cover is pretty good, at least as good as the tent-style garages.

DEATH2000
09-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Theirs a guy down south near DeWinton who stores cars for a fee. A few beyond members have used him for storage in the past. Might be the best option.

I honestly cant remember his name or website. Can anyone help me out on this?

brucebanner
09-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000
Theirs a guy down south near DeWinton who stores cars for a fee. A few beyond members have used him for storage in the past. Might be the best option.

I honestly cant remember his name or website. Can anyone help me out on this?
OP lives in New Brunswick.

OP, I've never really have heard good things about them either. Of course some people say they're okay but like anything you always hear more bad than good.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-19-2013, 05:52 PM
My parents have had one for the last 12 or so years, it's a big sturdy thing (wooden structure with thick tarpaulin-style woven skin) but I can't remember who manufactured it - I think they got it from UFA. At any rate, it's held up extremely well and they only had to replace the covering last year after many years of UV exposure and the neighborhood cats climbing on it.

Idiot Stick
09-19-2013, 06:28 PM
So general consensus says they blow. Alright, tarp and car cover in my backyard it is!

Thanks folks

BerserkerCatSplat
09-19-2013, 06:50 PM
I'd hazard a guess and say it's less "they blow" and more "you get what you pay for." Holds true for a lot of things.