PDA

View Full Version : multiple wireless routers and AP

Gorilla
09-19-2013, 07:10 PM
I have one wireless router dlink (n) . however it doesnt reach other parts of my house. I have an older wireless router that I was going to put into that room. Can I set it up to run as a access point?

Or has anyone used those extenders that plug into the electrical socket

jacky4566
09-19-2013, 07:37 PM
Basic principle is to
-disable DHCP on the secondary router so its not dishing out its own subnet
-make the wireless settings identical to the mirror router.
-hookup a wired connected between the lan ports of the routers.
-and if you care to connect to the secondary router again make sure its IP is does not conflict with the primary and fits within the DHCP addressing of the primary.

-Also disable any extra features like firewall in the secondary just to reduce latency.

sabad66
09-19-2013, 08:11 PM
When I did this with my dd-wrt router I used a YouTube video as a guide.

firebane
09-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Gorilla
I have one wireless router dlink (n) . however it doesnt reach other parts of my house. I have an older wireless router that I was going to put into that room. Can I set it up to run as a access point?

Or has anyone used those extenders that plug into the electrical socket

IF the router has the ability to be switched to an ACCESS Point only then just switch it over and it'll do as you need.

Otherwise it may take a bit of work.

revelations
09-19-2013, 11:05 PM
DDWRT or TOMATO might work - all depends on the second router however. You'd have to consult the specs for the router and compare that to the hacks available for the mentioned two.

If the router has a FACTORY option to act as an AP or Repeater then you should use that first.

For eg. I have a hacked DDWRT router that serves as a bridge to an USB external HDD, that functions as a wireless NAS..... not all routers support this.