PDA

View Full Version : My Home Made wasp trap vs store bought

JudasJimmy
09-20-2013, 05:32 PM
I must have had 4 wasp nests under my desk, there were so many I was just vacuuming them up for a while. Then I sprayed and killed most of them. They love my crab apple tree for some reason, so I put two traps on my fence.

One was a whisky bottle. top cut off, inverted and glued. (lots of examples on google, just not with whisky bottle), other one was a $3.99 wasp tunnel that you stick in the side of a bottle. I like that one because rain didn't fill the bottle, and you can empty and reuse.

I put the same strawberry juice/pop in and put them out at the same time for 1 week. The only difference is the whisky bottle is closer to the tree.

Looks like I'm going to be drinking a lot of whisky this weekend. I need some more traps.

http://www.ws6.ca/beyond/wasp1.jpg

http://www.ws6.ca/beyond/wasp2.jpg

http://www.ws6.ca/beyond/wasp3.jpg

sxtasy
09-20-2013, 05:43 PM
I recommend trying the scotch whiskey trap

sillysod
09-20-2013, 10:32 PM
you need to fix your grass

JudasJimmy
09-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
you need to fix your grass
I can't get back there. The wasps have owned my back yard all summer. I been trying to re-claim it, and get it fix up.

roll_over
09-20-2013, 11:03 PM
I used a wash nozzles that holds soap and just sprayed them as they left the nest after about a week of doing that I put on two hoodies, a motorcycle helmet and two pairs of pants went under the deck and sprayed the nest with poison. After that I saw the queen leaving the nest so I crushed her

GQBalla
09-21-2013, 08:07 AM
just put a brown paper bag up.

Not sure if it ACTUALLY works though, no personal experience

bigbadboss101
09-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Spring time put up a fake nest. any people had success.
But now you have the kill the ones flying around and destroy the nest. We have a nest under some landscaping. Sprayed and sealed the entrance but spring time we will need to move the heavy rocks and remove nest. And good idea to seal all possible place thy might want to build.

heavyfuel
09-24-2013, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Spring time put up a fake nest. any people had success.
But now you have the kill the ones flying around and destroy the nest. We have a nest under some landscaping. Sprayed and sealed the entrance but spring time we will need to move the heavy rocks and remove nest. And good idea to seal all possible place thy might want to build.

Kill them and leave the nest. That's how they don't come back. I had wasps behind my building last year in the wall by the electrical meter, when my landlord killed them obviously we couldn't see the nest because it was in the wall/vents as I had 6 lethargic wasps find their way into my bedroom! I even found one 2/3 way to the front of my unit, dead on the floor right by the vent in the kitchen. This year they haven't set up shop out back. And I screened all my vents just to be sure. I'm sure other methods work too but when they see a dead nest, they fuck off.

Thaco
09-24-2013, 08:11 AM
yeah i have had issues with a nest in the eaves of my house for the past 5 years, last year in the winter i went and screwed down the roof boards better, tried to close up their access holes, also filled the spot with poison in the middle of winter, hoping if anything was dormant in there i killed it, and i put up one of those fake nests, i don't know which did it, but they did not come back this year.

Also what i have heard is if you use protein in the wasp trap in the spring (raw chicken) you'll attract the queen, if it's later int he spring or summer then you want sweet which will catch the workers.

Tik-Tok
09-24-2013, 09:07 AM
I thought fake nests worked, until this year when the fuckers built a nest under my shed, which had a fake one hanging from it :banghead:

For actual wasp traps, the glass ones work awesome, and are a lot more attractive than a pop bottle, lol.

http://c745.r45.cf2.rackcdn.com/img/2009/wasp_traps.jpg

JDMMAN
09-26-2013, 03:00 PM
The fake nests I put up seem to work? :dunno:

BokCh0y
09-26-2013, 03:14 PM
I will have to try the pop bottle one in the spring I guess. Too late to try it now. There is some stupid ass wasp nest around my shed somewhere, but dunno if it's on my side or the neighbors side.