PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a car. Insure it now or when it arrives?

Redlyne_mr2
09-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Has anyone shipped a recently purchased car within Canada? Did you put insurance on it the moment you were assigned ownership or did you insurance it once it landed home? The trucking company has insurance to cover me but I'm wondering if I'm risking it by not having it insured. It's sort of a stupid question to ask since it's only going to be out of my possession for a week but just curious.

roopi
09-20-2013, 07:59 PM
I've never done this but if it were me I'd insure it the moment I took ownership. 1 week of insurance cost is nothing in comparison to the value of a car.

CanmoreOrLess
09-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Not really a stupid question, you know the right answer as you are uncomfortable in depending on the trucking company taking care of your end of the deal. You can never have enough insurance, sleep better knowing you're taking care of your property. What is the extra cost? $84.00?

483hp
09-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Always insure a car once title passes to you. Sure, the transportation company has insurance, but it is there to protect themselves, not you. If you examine their liabilities it basically requires a write off before their insurance pays you anything of significance.

amear
09-21-2013, 06:09 AM
Id insure just in case if any thing does happen and the trucking company some how get away with it. Cant hurt to throw insurance on it for piece of mind.

mr2mike
09-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Insure it. Just because it's tires aren't rolling on the drive doesn't mean it won't be a big legal issue if something happens along the way.
Talk to Touchstone Insurance

BokCh0y
09-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Insure it like what mr2mike says.

So what did u buy? :clap:

dirty
09-21-2013, 04:36 PM
http://cliff.hostkansas.com/pffimages3/GT_2.jpg