PDA

View Full Version : Low Air Pressure

codetrap
09-24-2013, 08:24 AM
So, I finally clued in that my two air pressure gauges were hatched and got some new ones, and it turns out I've been running a few psi low for awhile. Now, I'm a little concerned that I've fubar'd my front tire. I noticed it was a little squirrely, which was what got me looking closely at the whole shebang... So, you guys with more experience at tires... am I looking a new one asap?

OneGreasyHobo
09-24-2013, 11:49 AM
I'd ride it for this season, then get a new one for the start of next.

mr2mike
09-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Drive it for the rest of the season but know you do need new tires and don't over drive the tires expecting new tire perforamce out of these.

revelations
09-24-2013, 01:49 PM
That is a wierd profile if you were only a few psi low .... something else is up

codetrap
09-24-2013, 02:32 PM
By a few, it was like 6.. 30 instead of 36.

I plan on putting new rubber on the FJR anyways. I've racked up about 15k on those tires, and they came with the bike when I bought it. I forget how many k the prior owner said he had on it. I think these are dual compound tires on it.. Metzelers IIRC.. maybe it's from me getting into the turns?

I'm thinking that maybe I'll put some Michelin Pilot Road 3's on it next time. The FJR guys seem to think that they wear better overall.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-24-2013, 02:40 PM
That tire is cupped pretty badly on the edges in my eyes, but what do I know, I don't ride bikes.

Graham_A_M
09-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by revelations
That is a wierd profile if you were only a few psi low .... something else is up

No, thats what happens. My rear was a few PSI low, and it wore out very very prematurely. The exact same thing happened with the profile and everything.

I'd just keep riding it until it gets worn and needs to be replaced, if you take it to the twisties, that should help round it off a bit, but be careful obviously.

15K for a tire? jeez....:nut: I should switch to those... my tires last me 5k if Im lucky. :(

codetrap
09-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Since I got it up to the right pressure, it's a lot better.. not so skittish.. but I'm a little leery about the twisties now on it since I almost lost it on the offramp from 16 to Stoney North. Front wanted to turn a lot.. rear not so much. Made for a few shall we we say.. interesting moments.. for me where I thought I was going to end up in the rhubarb.

chkolny541
09-27-2013, 05:24 PM
I have a question to piggy back off of this one. I need a new rear tire,(put a solid 12K on it), is it better to get it now and store it for winter, or wait until spring and risk the long lines at the shop?

Graham_A_M
09-27-2013, 05:54 PM
^ The deals will be had right now. I'd ask around if the dealerships have any, not only that but a total lack of line ups also are a huge plus.
Last year I had tires & the 40k km service done at Blackfoot at about this time, all in all it took 1 day. If I wanted until the spring to get it done, frick.... probably would have had to wait at least a week or two.

Letting the bike sit over winter is perfectly fine, it wont hurt the tire at all. Just check the air pressure in the spring and you're good to go.

codetrap
09-27-2013, 11:08 PM
Walt is doing 25% off in tires right now.

chkolny541
09-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ The deals will be had right now. I'd ask around if the dealerships have any, not only that but a total lack of line ups also are a huge plus.
Last year I had tires & the 40k km service done at Blackfoot at about this time, all in all it took 1 day. If I wanted until the spring to get it done, frick.... probably would have had to wait at least a week or two.

Letting the bike sit over winter is perfectly fine, it wont hurt the tire at all. Just check the air pressure in the spring and you're good to go.

Perfect, this is sort of what I was thinking as well. Was going to go probably next week and drop it off at the shop then store it away.