PDA

View Full Version : Foam sub flooring in Calgary?

nzwasp
09-24-2013, 10:45 AM
I have an unfinished basement, and by no means do I want to finish it myself however we use it unfinished as Im sure many calgarians do. Im interested in putting down some sort of foam sub floor because the concrete is cold as fuck in winter (really any time of the year). Now at the moment we have some of those foam tiles you get from costco but they seem really expensive to coat the basement in them. Is it cheaper to get this sort of thing from a hardware store and a thicker version like 1", what products should I be looking at?

codetrap
09-24-2013, 11:41 AM
So, what I did was bought a couple of rolls of foundation wrap, laid that down and tuck taped it all together. Then I bought a bunch of T&G OSB, and laid that down on top of it. I then got a bunch of tapcon concrete bits/screws and then drilled into the concrete to anchor the OSB down, counter sinking each bolt and sealing them with silicone. After that I had a nice quiet OSB floor. Then I got the thickest underlay and put a nice berber down over top of it. That combined with fixing the cold air return and my basement is nice and comfy year round. Cooler than upstairs by a couple of degree's, but definitely warm enough for me.

I got the idea based on dricore, but spend less than half the money to DIY vs buying dricore.

cet
09-24-2013, 11:57 AM
^ Delta floor make a similar system using their own plastic underlay instead of using house wrap.

codetrap
09-24-2013, 04:19 PM
cet, I think it was Delta actually. I got it at Totem back when it was still Totem.

DENZILDON
09-25-2013, 02:48 PM
I just did my basement flooring. I used DMX 1-step for my subfloor and laminate.

The DMX is around $80 per 110 square feet. It has better insulation than delta and no need to put foam if your putting laminate at 10mm + thickness.

If your putting carpet or hard wood then you will need to put some ply wood on top