PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please! What should I do with my old car? Sell it? Donate it?

dexlargo
09-25-2013, 12:58 PM
I recently bought a new car to replace my old daily driver.

I now need to decide what to do with my old car and I'm not sure if I should bother trying to sell it (would anyone want it?), donate it to some charity, sell it for scrap, or something else.

So what's the best thing to do with a car like this?

Details:

2001 Subaru Forester LX (lower of two trim models)
~235000 kilometers
Manual transmission

The good:

-Still runs fairly well (exceptions below)
-Tires are good, and I have a set of snow tires on rims for it that are in decent condition as well.
-AC is fine

The bad:

-Got shelled pretty badly in the hailstorm two years ago and I had taken all extra insurance off. So, lots of dents and a cracked windshield.
-Rust. The body is starting to rust in a few places, and the rocker panels underneath are significantly affected.
-Check engine light - It's on. Code says problem with intake pressure. The light goes off for months at a time, then comes back on. I decided that it's the MAP sensor occasionally giving a faulty reading and decided not to replace, b/c it's periodic, the sensor ain't cheap, and the engine runs fine.
-Front suspension is starting to go. Should probably get new struts.
-New muffler probably needed.

spikerS
09-25-2013, 01:04 PM
cars like that are a heaven send for people that need a ride. It doesnt sound like there is anything unsafe about the car, and it runs and drives. looks dont mean shit.

I would say to look at your current position. would $1500-2000 make or break you? Is it worth that much?

could be worth it's weight in gold to someone in need...or sell it on Kijiji for whatever, and have an awesome weekend getting drunk with buddies.

Kloubek
09-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Subarus seem to have a cult following and I'm sure someone would be willing to pick it up for cheap. If you're looking at this as a financial decision, I'm sure someone would give you more for it than you'd get as a tax receipt by donating.

...but, if your the gracious type, donating it sure would make someone's day!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Sounds like something people like myself would buy as a winter vehicle.

Tik-Tok
09-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Sell it.

I had a '98 Impreza outback with 315,000 KM's on it, rusting around the wheel wells, a couple other minor problems that sold in less than a week for $2300, last year.

dexlargo
09-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the responses! This is very helpful.

Originally posted by spikers
would $1500-2000 make or break you? Is it worth that much?No, $1500-2000 wouldn't make or break me, but it's nothing to sneeze at.

I have no idea what it's worth. Do you think that would be a reasonable price to ask and move it without much hassle?

Originally posted by Kloubek
...but, if your the gracious type, donating it sure would make someone's day! If I knew (in real life) some starving student without a car who could use it - yes, I would give it to them. That's what I was going to do, actually. But the person I was going to give it to just moved to Vancouver for school and tells me they won't use it and have nowhere to park it, so they're out.

People that I don't know? I'm less inclined to hand it over for free. I would consider donating to a recognized charity, though.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Sell it.

I had a '98 Impreza outback with 315,000 KM's on it, rusting around the wheel wells, a couple other minor problems that sold in less than a week for $2300, last year. Really? That surprises me. What about my check engine light? Does that change the math? Wouldn't that have to get fixed to pass a safety to get new insurance? Or am I thinking of BC's aircare?

never
09-25-2013, 03:45 PM
If you put it up and list the issues with a cheaper price as suggested above, it'll be up to the buyer to sort out that on their end. You won't be hiding anything so they won't get any surprises and can decide if it's worthwhile or not.

I'd put it up in the $2000-3000 range, list all issues, and be open to offers. It'll probably move pretty quick.

dirtsniffer
09-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Most insurance companies require and inspection after 10 years. some are 15.

That would be up to the buyer.
I have purchased a few cars over the last while and I would say you could get 1500 for it pretty quickly and with little hassle.

ExtraSlow
09-25-2013, 04:07 PM
I think you could list it for $2500, and get 19---2100 with pretty much no hassle. Subarus sell at this time of year.

Tik-Tok
09-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by dexlargo

Really? That surprises me. What about my check engine light? Does that change the math? Wouldn't that have to get fixed to pass a safety to get new insurance? Or am I thinking of BC's aircare?

It would just be a basic insurance safety (brakes, belts, lights, horn, etc), check engine light wouldnt fail it. As long as the buyer is aware of the CEL and its sold as is where is, you wouldnt have to worry about it. Personally i'd put it up for $2g and itll be gone in no time. Especially with snow around the corner.

You could probably ask for (and get) more, if you dont mind a bunch of Kijidiots wasting your time for awhile.

toor
09-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Call Pick n Pull for a price on it, they'll come pick it up and probably give you like $200-300 bucks for it. Otherwise a donation to the ACH or Cancer thing will get you a $50 tax credit. Personally I'd sell it for $2500-$1500 as-is, let it go to the first decent offer so you don't wanna deal with kijiji idiots...

TravisF79
09-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Most insurance companies require and inspection after 10 years. some are 15.

That would be up to the buyer.
I have purchased a few cars over the last while and I would say you could get 1500 for it pretty quickly and with little hassle.

Its 12 years weirdly enough. 2002 won't need an inspection but 2001 will.

Graham_A_M
09-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Frick, if it was a year or two newer, I'd buy it as a winter beater. But being a 2001, it'll need an inspection to which it wont pass...

Weapon_R
09-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Let's start the bidding with proceeds to charity of your choice :)

I'll start = $500.

toor
09-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Frick, if it was a year or two newer, I'd buy it as a winter beater. But being a 2001, it'll need an inspection to which it wont pass...

Fourty bux for a kijiji mobile mechanic, anything will pass.

Tik-Tok
09-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by toor

Fourty bux for a kijiji mobile mechanic, anything will pass.

Yeah, it's a insurance safety, not an OOP, lol. I asked my insurer if I can sign it off using my AME license, she said "yeah, no problem, you're more qualified than most people who sign them" :rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-26-2013, 06:42 AM
If you want to be a good guy, sell it for a couple thousand and donate half of what you get to a charity of choice :dunno:

Seth1968
09-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
You could probably ask for (and get) more, if you dont mind a bunch of Kijidiots wasting your time for awhile.

Most of the Kijidiots can be avoided.

OP,

Put it on Kijiji with the details you mentioned, then write the following in big bold letters:

$2000 FIRM. Don't even bother contacting me if you plan on offering less, or want to trade something.

That will weed out most of the morons, but I guarantee that you'll still get some, "U take 1500 cash", or, "U trade for iPad".