PDA

View Full Version : body shop and repainting

eur0
09-22-2002, 01:04 PM
After this winter I want to get my car repainted...not a change in color just a repaint on my stock color, how much will I be looking to spend? I was thinking of just taking it to A1, but I hear good/bad things about them, anyone know wheres the best place to go that isnt too pricey? and how much?

bosa
09-22-2002, 01:28 PM
Ummm if you were painting your car a whole new color,about over a grand,same color repaint,about 900-1200 bucks I would think.I guess to get it painted,just go to a body shop or something:dunno:.

Weapon_R
09-22-2002, 02:35 PM
I know a place that can paint your car for around 13-1500 depending on whether it has any damage/rust.

tegdream
09-22-2002, 03:28 PM
hmm im thinkin of gettin my car painted after the winter
13-15 hundred for what kind of job...same as ur current color or for a different one?

max_boost
09-22-2002, 03:49 PM
I don't know the type of quality you would get for $12-$1500

Maranellos Autobody does some really amazing work; I recommend you taking your car there

szw
09-22-2002, 03:52 PM
100 bucks worth of canadian tire spraycans should do the trick!

eur0
09-22-2002, 05:24 PM
would anyone asvise buying a spray gun and a compressor and sanding tools and do it as a DIY?? if you can get the paint mixed by an autobody shop

three.eighteen.
09-22-2002, 08:49 PM
no dude, you need a painting booth so no crap gets on your car as youre painting it, and theres a reason you pay bodyshops several grand to get a good paint job...

Weapon_R
09-22-2002, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't recommend you do it at home. It takes years of experience for some of those bodymen to do clean paintjobs, and its a little harder than it seems to paint a car. We used to paint a lot of cars in high school autobody, but the paintjobs sucked. Contrary to what some say, you CAN get a nice paintjob for around 13-1500. Most people don't realize that the cost of supplies to paint a vehicle are only around 200-250 and the rest goes to labour, so a private body man or a smaller shop settle for less money and still make a pretty good profit.

tegdream
09-22-2002, 11:18 PM
weapon r wanna tell me where?

max_boost
09-23-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by tegdream
weapon r wanna tell me where?

If you want it cheap go to MaaCo!:thumbsup:

Weapon R is right, it is the prep work involved in sanding down the car that takes up the most time.

But IMO, a good paint job should cost between $2-$2500.

LaughingTiger
09-23-2002, 09:57 AM
I know a place called (good deal auto) they have been around
for a long time, and do very good work. If your going to spend the
money on painting you car again, why don't you try a nicer color,
or add something to your color, nothing crazy if you don't want.
This place uses dealership paint w/ any of the colors that have
been in production on any make since 1990. So you can get a
mercedes black or a prelude pearl white for the same price..
They usually charge 1800-2000 , but you can bargin..They also
get rid of that ugly molding on the side of the car if you want, it
makes it look newer after. They do a base coat/ clear coat, so
it's not the cheap acrilic paint which chips after 3 months..

If your getting it painted in the spring, you can save the extra
over winter for a nice quality job.

Hope this helps..

eur0
09-26-2002, 04:06 PM
I know I'll get shot for asking but whats the quality of Maaco?? Ive heard its pretty cheap just make sure to get 3 coats of clear, is this wise or a bad idea? I wont need my hood painted because im gonna get a cf one :thumbsup:

The parts I wont need sanded are the front and rear bumpers and the hood so this should save some $$...

James
09-26-2002, 04:15 PM
A Friend of mine was Telling me that you can get bodywork/Paintjobs for FREE at S.A.I.T. (minus the cost of Supplies/Paint etc.. of Course)so a paintjob would cost like $300 bucks! because they are students, they cant pay them, or something like that , and they get marks/credits for doing the work, he even said, if they dont do it right the first time, they fix it for free, (so they dont fuck up on the same thing on another car down the road i guess:rofl: )...can anyone varify this? or is my buddy full of shit???:dunno: I would look into that for sure, if it were true.:thumbsup:

LaughingTiger
09-26-2002, 04:17 PM
My friend had his bodykit painted by Macco.... sucked, chipped of

and had runs, but you get what you pay for...

Trust me man, try calling the Good Deal auto.... there cheap

and do really good work...

Ferio_vti
09-26-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by James
A Friend of mine was Telling me that you can get bodywork/Paintjobs for FREE at S.A.I.T. (minus the cost of Supplies/Paint etc.. of Course)so a paintjob would cost like $300 bucks! because they are students, they cant pay them, or something like that , and they get marks/credits for doing the work, he even said, if they dont do it right the first time, they fix it for free, (so they dont fuck up on the same thing on another car down the road i guess:rofl: )...can anyone varify this? or is my buddy full of shit???:dunno: I would look into that for sure, if it were true.:thumbsup:

I've heard about this, is true. Not so sure about how good the work is....

James
09-26-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

I've heard about this, is true. Not so sure about how good the work is....

Sweet, anyone on hear know anyone that got any work done at S.A.I.T.?

Pole Position
10-11-2002, 12:34 PM
I'm in the AST (Automotive Service Tech.) apprentice program at SAIT right now. I'm currenty rebuilding an engine, and the owner pays nothing but parts. So yes labour is free.

A $1000 deposit is needed to start which goes towards parts, and you will have to notify SAIT at the beginning of the school semester.

Although I'm in no relation with the autobody program, I would imagine similar proceedure. The deposit will probably be lower because painting/sanding materials is not as expensive.

If any of you are interested, I can ask one of my instructors on monday.

The quality work would be decent, because there are a lot of experience instructors looking after us. I mean to me, if I don't know exactly what to do, I ask instead of guessing.

eur0
10-11-2002, 12:38 PM
can you ask? this is a revived topic but im glad you found it hehe

Pole Position
10-11-2002, 05:13 PM
Yeah I will ask for you on monday...actually tuesday because monday no school.

eur0
10-11-2002, 06:28 PM
alright thanks man

infamous
10-11-2002, 07:40 PM
dude go to crappy tire...they can't change oil right but i betchya they can paint a car good! :thumbsup:

jk. oh and as a tip, don't diy :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

THREE40SEVEN
10-11-2002, 08:24 PM
Maaco sucks ass. Its fine if you want to paint it just to sell it, but not to own. They'll give it a splash.
A GOOD paint job will typically cost no less than $3000. If you want a complete color change(door jambs, hatch/trunk, engine) expect for pay at least $4500.
You get whay you pay for.
$1500 would get you $1500 paint job. Orange peel, poor body work and finishing is what you'll get at that price.
Go get some estimates at some reputible body shops. You'll see what i mean.
try concours, professional autobody, a-1, or courtesy collision.
Ive used them all.

GP_DrIvEr
10-13-2002, 05:06 PM
hey pole position

i am going to need to get a bumber and fender painted... i can get the paint and the bumber and fender are primed... would you be able to ask if they would be able to do anything for me at sait???

Pole Position
10-15-2002, 11:54 PM
Don't worry, I didn't forget you guys. Well I did acutally. And I just remember like right now, so I will ask tomorrow. Sorry guys!

Pole Position
10-17-2002, 04:35 PM
Okay, the number to call is 284 - 8356. This number goes straight to the auto repair booking in the Transportation department. I'm sure they can provide you guys with more info since I'm have no clue in the auto body program.