PDA

View Full Version : So I came back from vacation ...

lint
02-24-2004, 02:01 PM
to find out that there was a mass layoff the week I was away. I was tipped off that I might also be on the list, so I was prepared when I headed into the office on Monday morning. And sure enough, and hour later I get called in and packaged out. Given that I've hated the job for the past 2 years and at least with the lay off I get severance, it's not all that bad. I look at it as getting out of a bad situation and am looking forward to what's next.
So for all you other unemployed-sters out there, what did you do your first week?

civic_ek4
02-24-2004, 10:15 PM
i went on a drink spree but it lasted more than a week.

roopi
02-24-2004, 10:48 PM
Where were you working?

lint
02-25-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by roopi
Where were you working?

Was a programmer/analyst for a payroll/hr company.

TrevorK
02-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by lint

Was a programmer/analyst for a payroll/hr company.

Then you shouldn't have a problem finding a job at all since your one of the skilled IT people.

sputnik
02-26-2004, 10:50 AM
did you at least decent package? ive heard some people are getting 1-2 months pay for each year they worked (up to 12 months)

good luck with your job search... the IT market in calgary doesnt seem that bad these days... hopefully you can find something soon and use the package to buy toys :D

lint
02-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Still in negotiations regarding the severance, it wasn't very good. I've got some other ideas in the works, but I'm thinking that this might be a good opportunity to start a business. After this last stint, I'm a little sick of office politics. I'm just taking this week to relax, and then going for career workshops that were provided by the company as part of the lay off.

So does anyone have any warehouse space in Calgary that they want to rent out? I've got some ideas and I'll need some space to mess around in :D

hockeybronx
02-27-2004, 01:03 AM
Well man that's too bad, all you can do is enjoy your time off, find a new job that you'll enjoy and bounce back better than ever.