PDA

View Full Version : Condo Property Management Troubles

DillonRobinson
09-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Hi there. I had a question regarding the rights of the property manager in a condo.

This is in Edmonton, Alberta.

Basically, my roomates and I were keeping 3-4 bags of recyclable cans outside because we had no more room inside. It was about $60 worth of cans that we were planning to take to the depot.

Several days ago, I heard loud knocking on my back patio window. We are on the first floor.

I look outside, and a man is on our patio, squeezing and sizing up the bags. He said he worked for our property management company.

"You have to take this inside", he said. I told him they were my roomates and that I would inform them.

Less than 24 hours later, he stole them right off of our porch. The management company is defending him, saying we'd already received warning. We did not. No written warning, and then just this weirdo on my patio saying they should be taken in.

Now I read that property managers / landlords have to give 24 hours notice before an inspection of the property.

My question - does our patio, which has our BBQ and a table and some chairs, count as our property? Should he have given 24 hours notice?

I think it's very bizarre that he just showed up, gave a vague verbal demand, and now we have a letter threatening a $150 fine if it happens again...

They're just a terrible company. "Laidley Management Ltd" in Edmonton. Google them...a ton of 1 star reviews.

Maxx Mazda
09-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Hmmmmmm... $150 fine or $60 in cans... Seems straightforward.

Xtrema
09-26-2013, 10:07 AM
This may sound stupid, since everything is verbal, can you even prove that condo management took them?

Ground floor patio, you snooze you lose. Turn your cans in more often. I'm sure if you blame management, they just say some hobo took it.

DillonRobinson
09-26-2013, 10:11 AM
The speed at which we turn in cans isn't relevant...and they admitted he took them over the phone a couple times.

My question is still if a patio inspection falls under a property inspection. I mean how would you feel if you looked in your back yard and a stranger was, say, fiddling with your BBQ and looking through your trash?

Funnily enough I mentioned this in person to someone, and it turns out they used to used to work for a property management company. In their personal opinion, even a patio would have warranted a 24-hour notice beforehand, saying that their company did everything by the books.

Mine is less professional, though.

I know garbage on the patio is not a great thing and that we left them there a while....I just think it's BS that they lied about an initial letter (though I've got bylaw info to cite to prove that's wrong) and they they think they can just come onto our property and steal something

englishbob
09-26-2013, 12:29 PM
As far as I know they have to give a minimum 24 hours notice to be on your property (what determines your property will be in the rent agreement), unless it's a serious infraction that needs dealt with immediately.

snowcat
09-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Quit being a bum and making the place look like crap for other people. Recycle more often or store them inside, or in your storage locker.

BananaFob
09-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Go take a look at your condo bylaws/documents. Sometimes a patio/deck is considered common area therefore they don't have to give you notice at all. It's their property not yours.

Cos
09-26-2013, 12:45 PM

Sugarphreak
09-26-2013, 01:04 PM

BrknFngrs
09-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob
Go take a look at your condo bylaws/documents. Sometimes a patio/deck is considered common area therefore they don't have to give you notice at all. It's their property not yours.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Seth1968
09-26-2013, 01:20 PM
3-4 bags and about $60.00 worth?

Those must really be some big ass bags.

DillonRobinson
09-26-2013, 01:35 PM
To those commenting negatively on the cans: Grow up, get a hobby, and stop trolling.

The condos bylaw documentation is a joke. It first establishes patios/balconies as "Exclusive Use Areas", and then never mentions them in the document again. It places a ton of predictable restrictions on careless use of "Common Property", but doesn't define was that is.

There's a section on "Patios/Balconies" that says only:

"Each Occupant has the right to exclusive use and possession of the patio or balcony attached to his Apartment Home"

and

"The Board is entitled to adopt reasonable rules concerning occupants use of their balconies"

Then there's no mention of what these rules are. I assume cans is in there somewhere, but they still don't define the patio/balcony as part of the "Apartment Home".

Their legal documentation is the most lazy and inconsistent I've ever seen. No wonder they have such terrible reviews. I'm going to start posting pages on the communal bulletin board about the company's reviews and see how fast the babies childishly swipe them down :).

This is as close to playing the race card as I'll get to do, but....age card?

Everyone else in the complex is 40+ except for the three of us. Surprise! the patio opposite of us is covered in discarded cardboard, and it's been like that for weeks without a weird employee stealing it. Odd!

whydontchathen
09-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by DillonRobinson
To those commenting negatively on the cans: Grow up, get a hobby, and stop trolling.

hunh????

Are you mentally challenged or something?

You ask for opinions, and then you cry "troll" when the advice you receive doesn't go down well?

Maybe you need to grow up. Someone warned you about garbage on your balcony, that was an eyesore, btw, and you did nothing about it. Now you're crying like a little baby bcz someone else took care of the garbage!

Why don't you get a life, get responsible and stop bugging ppl with your stupid issues.

DillonRobinson
09-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by whydontchathen

hunh????

Are you mentally challenged or something?

You ask for opinions, and then you cry "troll" when the advice you receive doesn't go down well?

Maybe you need to grow up. Someone warned you about garbage on your balcony, that was an eyesore, btw, and you did nothing about it. Now you're crying like a little baby bcz someone else took care of the garbage!

Why don't you get a life, get responsible and stop bugging ppl with your stupid issues.

Excuse me, are you retarded? I mean, besides using words like "ppl" and "bcz". I didn't ask for opinions, you peasant. If you think it's a "stupid issue", then ignore it and don't comment? I asked about the semantics of my problem. Was that too hard to understand? God you're slow. Don't you have some burgers to flip or toilets to clean?

I guess expecting actual advice about legalities was too much to expect from a forum full of meat-head car fans. Why don't you go buy an ugly spoiler or some ugly decals or have a stupid loud car meet like your kind likes to do?

roll_over
09-26-2013, 02:31 PM
The way I read the agreement your wrong they are right and you should be sorry

roll_over
09-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Peasant coming from the guy living with a roommate in a condo collecting cans driving a mazda

ercchry
09-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
Peasant coming from the guy living with a roommate in a condo collecting cans driving a mazda

damn it... thats what i was going to say :rofl:

i guess i can throw in a "fucking edmonton..."

gretz
09-26-2013, 02:42 PM

I guess expecting actual advice about legalities was too much to expect from a forum full of meat-head car fans. Why don't you go buy an ugly spoiler or some ugly decals or have a stupid loud car meet like your kind likes to do?

Why are you coming to a car forum asking for legal advice? Then you have your period when people tell you what a foreskin husker you are and you get "offensive" for people pointing out the truth... Who's retarded?

Xtrema
09-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Everyone else in the complex is 40+ except for the three of us. Surprise! the patio opposite of us is covered in discarded cardboard, and it's been like that for weeks without a weird employee stealing it. Odd!

lol, I know condos like that, you don't like it and can't deal with it, go find a younger place.

Retired people has nothing better to do but bitch.

Still, I never had $60 worth of can and bottle. That's a lot if you are right on the amount. It's definitely an eye sore.

FraserB
09-26-2013, 03:53 PM
That's 1,200+ cans. You either need to go to the bottle depot more often or find a place in your condo to hoard them, that much crap on your patio isn't reasonable. You have to admit, 1,200 cans sitting on someone's patio would make it look like shit.

Sorry that not everyone who posted up started jerking off your opinion and bashing the condo board. You might have better luck on 780tuners.

How many bedrooms in your condo?

Xtrema
09-27-2013, 11:39 AM
^

FYI, it's 0.10 a can now so that's about 600 cans.

Still takes up a lot of space if kept in garbage bags and not flats.

Cos
09-27-2013, 11:47 AM

revelations
09-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi there. I had a question regarding the rights of the property manager in a condo.

This is in Edmonton, Alberta.

Basically, my roomates and I were keeping 3-4 bags of recyclable cans outside because we had no more room inside. It was about $60 worth of cans that we were planning to take to the depot.

Several days ago, I heard loud knocking on my back patio window. We are on the first floor.

I look outside, and a man is on our patio, squeezing and sizing up the bags. He said he worked for our property management company.

"You have to take this inside", he said. I told him they were my roomates and that I would inform them.

Less than 24 hours later, he stole them right off of our porch. The management company is defending him, saying we'd already received warning. We did not. No written warning, and then just this weirdo on my patio saying they should be taken in.

Now I read that property managers / landlords have to give 24 hours notice before an inspection of the property.

My question - does our patio, which has our BBQ and a table and some chairs, count as our property? Should he have given 24 hours notice?

I think it's very bizarre that he just showed up, gave a vague verbal demand, and now we have a letter threatening a $150 fine if it happens again...

They're just a terrible company. "Laidley Management Ltd" in Edmonton. Google them...a ton of 1 star reviews.

I'm going to side 50/50 - the PM did the right thing by coming after you for keeping shit on the balcony. The bags of cans - especially the first floor - attract rats and mice, plus raccoons etc. to the complex. You are clearly not aware that everyone in the building has a responsibility to keep your area - that is visible - clean and organized. As your bylaws state - its up to the discretion of the board.

HOWEVER - they cant just steal your cans like that without a warning. They should have just sent you a notice/fine and THEN a letter stating that someone will come and pick up your shit if you didnt. Most of the time the cost of hiring someone will be passed on to the owner.

Basically the situation is..... dumb owner and dumb PM.