PDA

View Full Version : who is good with fixing MR2s

B0BBYM
09-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Hello, not sure if i need my MR2 fixed, but i recently had a CT20b turbo installed with a KO racing downpipe, and intercooler (side mount) Apexi air filter. There is a loud hissing noise under boost i think i may have a boost leak. Or it could be the intake or turbo. But i have no other MR2 to compare it to. I don't think its right. Anyways anyone good with MR2s I could go to. Maybe for a boost leak test.

Oh and the CT20bs wastegate wouldn't open it was seized. I got them to modify the stock wastegate to work. Not sure if that is the problem.

Anyone have any thoughts

J.M.
09-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Who did the work?

ercchry
09-26-2013, 11:44 AM
vex has a smoke machine, they can test the entire system and see if air is escaping anywhere

mr2mike
09-26-2013, 12:01 PM
An apexi intake will make the turbo sound a whole lot louder that stock resonator that deadens the turbo hiss sound.

I work on mr2's. Have boost leak tester, not a smoke machine. Just what size is the intake pipe?

Seized internal WG?! Interested in how they "modified" it to work. You can't really modify it unless you put on an ext wg.

Redlyne_mr2
09-26-2013, 01:03 PM
mr2mike works for pennies on the dollar, he prefers RHD cars that have sat in the shipping yard next to the ocean in Japan, makes for a more autentic wrenching experience.

mr2mike
09-26-2013, 01:06 PM
:poosie:

:thumbsdow

B0BBYM
09-26-2013, 01:36 PM
ya i can't remember what they did but they had to use my wastegate off my CT26. i think they had to bend something to make it work?

I am not having a problem boosting, not sure if that matters. i can easily hit 17PSI in 3rd gear

B0BBYM
09-26-2013, 01:37 PM
also i bought the apexi air intake kit from KO racing as well

B0BBYM
09-26-2013, 01:54 PM
oh and i not sure, maybe it was the wastegate actuator that was seized, it wouldn't open the flap.

I wouldn't mind hearing another mr2 that has a similar setup. Or if someone wouldn't mind having a look. It might be normal for all i know

Redlyne_mr2
09-26-2013, 07:29 PM
If you're hitting full boost quickly and easily you should be fine.

egmilano
09-26-2013, 07:40 PM
I had mr2mike check out my mr2 when it wouldn't shift gears. After him replacing the clutch and tranny the car still didn't work, he mentioned the clutch cylinder may need to be flushed and that we could do it. Anyway he tried and wasn't able to . He had my car for months. Last minute jacked up the price quite a fucking bit. He didnt get back to me multiple times through out the process that took months. He seemed like he knew his shit at the beginning and what I read on beyond he was supposed to be the mr2 god. After i picked my mr2 up I took it to e mortal auto and replaced the clutch cylinder .....it worked.....

sr20s14zenki
09-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by egmilano
I had mr2mike check out my mr2 when it wouldn't shift gears. After him replacing the clutch and tranny the car still didn't work, he mentioned the clutch cylinder may need to be flushed and that we could do it. Anyway he tried and wasn't able to . He had my car for months. Last minute jacked up the price quite a fucking bit. He didnt get back to me multiple times through out the process that took months. He seemed like he knew his shit at the beginning and what I read on beyond he was supposed to be the mr2 god. After i picked my mr2 up I took it to e mortal auto and replaced the clutch cylinder .....it worked.....

Im not going to pretend to know what happened there, and im not going to say weather he is right to raise the price, as it is none of my business, but i can say one thing. Sometimes, we hit brick walls with technical things, and it can be the dumbest, most simple thing. Ive had this happen to me, but not usually with anybody elses car but my own. It is easy to just be stumped over something and totally overlook the obvious. just my .02
wait, ill round that...i guess its worthless :D

mr2mike
09-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Egmilano, I’m surprised it took you this long to post something like this. It’ll make AE92_TreunoSC laugh.

I had mr2mike check out my mr2 when it wouldn't shift gears. After him replacing the clutch and tranny the car still didn't work

Because that was the tip of the iceberg on problems with this car. Egmilano still believes his diagnosis was all that was needed to fix the car.

Here's the original post on his MR2 issue:

Hey all, looking for a good beyond mechanic or even some ideas of a good shop here in calgary... Please lemme know if there are any beyond guys who can change my flywheel and clutch. Also my axel seals and main rear seal. Thanks!
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/354136/lf-a-beyond-mechanic/

That's the info I was given to go on and I trusted it. BIG MISTAKE.
Car was towed and pushed into my garage being told it's just a dead battery from sitting for so long... Then I opened up this big, black bag of fun.
Lesson learned, boost the car and see it run before starting any work on it and don't trust these Keyboard Mechanics who diagnose their own car issues.

I should have listened to Machiavelli aka AE92_TreunoSC.

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
You diagnosed your own leak and are likely supplying your own part, plus you're calling around looking for the cheapest deal.

Then when you find the lowest bidder, I expect a post of a bad review and how a shop fucked you for your money etc.

I helped YOU out by telling you that you needed a new tranny with all the metal shavings in the fluid. I could have flushed your tranny and replaced the clutch only to see you end your transmission a few months later.
I know shops that do this. It generates them more profit to remove the transmission again at your cost.

I don't cut corners. I do all the work necessary to have a functioning car and that's why people come to me.
What I do have a problem with is people wanting top shelf work for something lesser than what I already am charging.

My time, knowledge, tools, workspace is all worth something. I don't whore myself out so someone can have all the fun in a fast-ish car while I’m sweating with grease, oil and coolant all over my hands and clothes.
If you can't see the worth in what I do to fix the entire problem, gladly go elsewhere.

I've got other clients that area VERY happy that I don't overlook potential problems and cut corners because my rate is lower than a dedicated shop.

He mentioned the clutch cylinder may need to be flushed and that we could do it. Anyway he tried and wasn't able to.

No, I couldn't get it flushed. I've done this before many times and it just didn't work out on your car. Seal must have been done. Next step would have been just replace it but it would have taken time to get the part in and cost more money to replace it which at this point you were showing signs of hesitation on costs. So it was best to end the servicing at that point.

Glad to see that you took my knowledge and diagnosis to e Mortal Auto and they put a new one in and magically it worked. Funny how that happens.

Last minute jacked up the price quite a fucking bit.
You mean, last minute I spent hours and hours getting the car to run again and hitting more and more stumbling blocks of hidden issues?

Original price was clutch and flywheel replacement. Then tranny replacement. Then along came… bent rear suspension causing difficulties in reinstalling all the parts. Telling you your rear end link is broken and just hanging it the way of the tire. Then battery not accepting a charge. Then replacing battery. Then car still not starting. Then Clutch master cylinder not actuating enough to push the clutch fully. Then Clutch master cylinder not bleeding properly. It was a cascade of issues that if this was at another shop, they'd probably be owning your car...so why would the cost suddenly inflate?
Quite obvious.

That ground issue in the front that I spent hours looking for after I re-checked all my starter install work because you told me the car ran perfect until you parked it. I'm sure there was some signs of ground issues prior to parking it. They don’t turn up magically once it shows up at my garage.
Even after the car left, I see you had more bad grounds…
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/363723/mr2-head-lights-wont-turn-on-/

But according to you, it all worked like a dream till my hands touched the car.

He didnt get back to me multiple times throughout the process that took months.
Typical statement on every bad review someone posts about someone.
How did I not get back to you?
If anything I told you too much. I tell you stuff as I’m working to figure it out. You jump to conclusions that I don’t know what I’m doing because I’m dropping a list of potentials of what needs to be investigated. I’ve changed how I approach this now and understand why shops just hand the final list of things fixed.

Process took 4 weeks... Half of that was waiting on rebuilt tranny I sourced out for you, went and picked up. So I suppose my gas and time to drive 30min to do this is all inclusive at other places? I didn’t even jack the price up on the rebuilt tranny. It was a flow through cost for me that if I didn’t use my sources would have cost you substantially more.
I do have a day job and life. I do this in the evenings and weekends. If you wanted it in a week. Pay the $120+/hr and go to a dedicated shop.

He seemed like he knew his shit at the beginning and what I read on beyond he was supposed to be the mr2 god. After i picked my mr2 up I took it to e mortal auto and replaced the clutch cylinder .....it worked.....

Dude, I'm not even going to comment on knowing my stuff. Some of the nicest MR2's gracing this city I've worked on and my work lasts and lasts. Years of mechanical knowledge and you expect it for sweat shop prices.

To his credit, egmilano did pay for the service I provided him and is a stand-up guy in that regard. So deep down, he does know I fixed 90% of his car’s problems and they didn’t come back.

sr20s14zenki
09-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Yep. sounds like somebody else i did a job for on here. I wont go naming names, but it was a pretty epic thread. I figured there was more truth to this.

Was the guy by chance a brown guy with hipster glasses?

mr2mike
09-27-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm not going to get into who he is or what he looked like on a public thread.

It's easy to hate. No downside to do so. Post and back to watching TV.

Person hated on, trying to build something, takes a hit on his business / hard work.
People shy away and go for the next shop.

Do a job properly, get called a rip off artist because it wasn't $10/hr.
Do a job half assed to save the guy a few bucks, get called out for terrible work.

If someone wants, they can search egmilano's other posts to see his ongoing struggles with various mechanics. Those will speak for themselves.

Redlyne_mr2
09-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Egmilano... I saw your car, we all have to start somewhere and I don't mean to sound like a prick but it was 1 more issue away from being a pick your part special. I also put some wrench time in on your car so I know how frustrating it was to work on. I love mr2s and would love to see you sort out your car some day so I didn't mind helping out mike and putting in some time for no charge. You had 2 of the most knowledgeable mr2 guys in Canada working on your car, stop acting like a girl. See you around.

AE92_TreunoSC
09-27-2013, 10:51 PM
I'm fucking Nostradamus bitches :rofl:

e.widling
09-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Well I can vouch for mr2mike's work and professionalism. My car has seen his garage a ton and i've only had good experiences. Every time I pick up the car he's put in that extra 10%. During the turbo swap he sourced the turbo for me, gave me lists of part numbers that I'd need, let me know what else should be done at the same time, checked a ton of other things that I wouldn't have thought of etc. I'm never left in the dark and always receive in-depth explanations about what's being done, how long it'll take and at what cost, which by the way was absolutely reasonable and unlike a normal shop Mike always tries to work with my crazy schedule. I bother him a lot with questions and ideas but he's always a sport and helps as much as possible.

cancer man
09-29-2013, 07:40 AM
I feel your pain.. try restoring vintage Volvos for sweat shop prices.
Now i just make the diagnosis and they can find there own parts.
People don't understand that it takes time to locate parts and fabricate new pieces.
When i get a vintage car i start with a 5000.00 deposit and if i need more i'll let you know,people do not respect our trade.
Sometimes you have to fire customers.

egmilano
09-29-2013, 06:11 PM
The light issue was indeed a light issue not any electrical problem, easily fixed by replacing both bulbs instead of just the one ...Yes I bought a relay I didn't need and went without lights for a week like an idiot because it was simply the two bulbs. There were no battery issues or starting issues after it left your garage so i'm not sure why you keep insisting electrical problems... all im saying is instead of the clutch and tranny being replaced immediately all it needed was the suspension and more importantly a new clutch cylinder because that was the real issue .... lol im not acting like a girl im giving beyond MY experience and if beyonders would like to have a pissing contest and flame go for it, im sure I can handle myself offline :) and the process was not 4 weeks it was 3 1/2 months which is why the battery was toast. have a good day yall !

sr20s14zenki
09-29-2013, 06:32 PM
LoL this isnt the same guy who came to RPS and thought 60$ to install a window was WAY too much is it?