PDA

View Full Version : Is there a legal case against the builder?

baiwan
09-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Guys, I am new here and need your advice to see if I can sue the builder.

I signed a purchase contract of new house with addendum attached to it. After I took possession of the house 3 months ago, I found there are a few "breach of agreement" as specificed in the addendum.
1. Rim Joists are sealed with foam spray. The builder just used the regular fiberglass for sealing.
2. The interior doors in main floor should be 8 feet (9 feet ceiling). Only one door is 8 feet, all other doors are with regular size (6 feet 8 inchs).
3. 4 phone connection. Only 2 phone connection in master bedroom and kitchen are found.
4. Rounded wall corner. One wall is not rounded.
5. The layout of the back and front house were changed without notice. For example, the door to the deck and window in the main floor should be top levelled from the house blueprint. But now the door is lower (1 feet 2 inches lower) than the window.

Also there was damages to the right garage roof when a big delivery truck hit it during construction. The wood and joints were broken inside the roof(I have pictures). The builder only repaired the damaged facia and soffits. Now the garage corner still runs uphill and it is not "round and square".

I want your advice to see if I can sue the builder even if I took the possession of the house.

You should avoid this builder and it is building houses at NE and NW (Arbour Lake).

Thanks

J.M.
09-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Name of the builder?

baiwan
09-26-2013, 02:49 PM
Devine Custom Homes

cet
09-26-2013, 02:59 PM
What resolution are you looking for? Do you want them to be as stipulated in the addendum? Do you want the cost refunded back to you?

Have you gone to the builder to see what they are willing to fix and what they aren't?

As a point of interest, did you not check on the house often and speciffically look for these things? I've built 2 houses in the last 10 years and both times I've visited almost daily to check things. I've always caught things I've had to bring to the attention of the builder that wern't right. In the first house they were to install the drywall the next day but hadn't run any of the cable/internet/phone. Even with visiting so much there were still things that were missed that had to be fixed after.

FraserB
09-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Lots of lawyers will probably give you a half hour consult as no cost or reduced cost.

But the first question you'll be asked is why you didn't notice these things during your inspections during construction and then on the final walkthrough before taking possession? They are not small things and anyone would have noticed them, especially since you went to the trouble of adding the ammendment to the contract.

InRich
09-27-2013, 10:58 AM
This is a good reason never to buy from random/no name home builders.

roopi
09-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by InRich

You could experience this with any of the large builders. If the large builders didn't have all the new communities locked up with the developer I would much rather bring in a small custom home builder.

conschoi
09-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by InRich

Myself , i had a bad experiences from Excel Homes, I tried to search for some reviews, and they werent super bad. but once i sign the purchase agreement, Nightmare starts, they kept forgetting stuff and the sales manager drew the stuff we want on blueprint, but he forgot to submit it. some of the light, they forgot to hard wire , forgot about where they can put the steam shower unit , mis build the frame and now we cant have the door we add etc......... its pain in the A******

revelations
09-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by baiwan
Devine Custom Homes

Located in Castleridge, have an ad in Punjabi.

FYI .... There are a couple of threads about home builders where brown people state they would NEVER use a home builder from their side of the world.

It would be the same as asking a Nordic cook create a flavorful and spicy dish, or going to a dentist in the UK, or buying a reliable car from the Italians .... :rofl: