PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Natural Gas Line

2BLUE
09-27-2013, 02:28 PM
I have a BBQ hookup off my gas meter.

I want to convert that to my garage heater every once and awhile.

Just run a hose to the garage when I'm in there, I know that might not be up to code per say but I don't care.

Can this be done? I know the fittings are different then my heater, but just wondering where I can buy such hose with fitting etc

J.M.
09-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Why don't you just get a portable electrical heater?

GTS4tw
09-27-2013, 02:50 PM
This sounds like the kind of thing an insurance company could potentially use against you in the event of a fire. Probably wouldn't cost much to get a "t" put in by a licensed guy, then you have peace of mind.

DENZILDON
09-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw
This sounds like the kind of thing an insurance company could potentially use against you in the event of a fire. Probably wouldn't cost much to get a "t" put in by a licensed guy, then you have peace of mind.

That's not a bad idea! any one tried this yet. is this allowed?

blitz
09-27-2013, 03:37 PM
This is a horrible idea.

sxtasy
09-27-2013, 03:42 PM
You could get the hose and fittings from tempheat. Wether this is a good idea is a different story.

Tik-Tok
09-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Unless your heater is only like, 10,000 btu's, then it won't be large enough diameter to work.

Even if it was, it's still a terrible idea.

lauphman
09-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Dig a trench yourself and a permanent gas line can be ran for 600$

2BLUE
09-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Funny how everyone says its a bad idea and yet all weekend it worked flawless :thumbsup:

Output to a bigger heater like 50,000btu might be a problem though.

Try it out soon enough

blitz
09-30-2013, 11:48 AM
It's not working once that's the issue, it's the potential for disaster that's the issue.

You've basically created a garden hose that dispenses NG. Does it just lay on the ground? What happens if it gets damaged?

2BLUE
10-02-2013, 01:42 AM
It won't get damaged. Its out of the way and only used once and awhile. I went and bought flex NG line. Very simple and easy.

mobius
10-02-2013, 06:12 AM
Between this and your 'Beyond Electrican' thread, I can already tell that you're one of 'those' homeowners that every contractor hates. You know, the 'I'll just do this and this, cheap, easy and it seems to work." Then when it all goes sideways, you'll go ape shit when you see the bill to remove your work and to do it right.

GTS4tw
10-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
Funny how everyone says its a bad idea and yet all weekend it worked flawless :thumbsup:

Output to a bigger heater like 50,000btu might be a problem though.

Try it out soon enough

I said it was a bad idea because if anything happens you will have no insurance. And it is on a heater and BBQ, both popular sources for fires. To me it would be worth the money to have peace of mind, and to have use of the insurance I paid for.

syscal
10-02-2013, 08:41 AM
This is why I would never buy a house listed as "recently renovated"

The trend of do-it-yourself is just too scary. Know your limits and FFS at least don't do something you KNOW is wrong.

Tik-Tok
10-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by syscal
S at least don't do something you KNOW is wrong.

The problem with 2Blue is that he doesn't know how stupid it is, no matter how many people have told him.

I feel bad for his neighbors.

UndrgroundRider
10-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Jesus I hope this idiot doesn't live anywhere near me. Usually I'm all about minding my own business but this kind of jury rigging of natural gas lines by a total moron is gonna get someone killed. Definitely warrants a call to the city if anyone knows where this dumbass lives.