PDA

View Full Version : iFido - Wireless High Speed Internet

roopi
02-24-2004, 03:13 PM
http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/packages/ifido/ifido.shtml

Looks good and the price is inline with DSL / Cable. To bad it's only starting out in B.C. and Ontario.

t3rry
02-24-2004, 03:16 PM
looks like i am switchin as soonas they hit us :D screw telus and thier crappy *must have a phone line* and shaw and thier *bandwidth limits*

there soon to be a new dog in town :D

Monthly transfer: up to 20 GB (download) and 5 GB (upload)

shaw screams if you use 1 gb

Compact portable modem connects directly to your computer
^^thats the seller for me... take the modem with my laptop

gwkwan
02-24-2004, 03:16 PM
the price r not bad:thumbsup:

roopi
02-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by gwkwan
the price r not bad:thumbsup:

Yep and existing Fido customers get another $8.00 off.

rage2
02-24-2004, 03:39 PM
- Download at speeds of up to 2.2 Mbps
- Monthly transfer: up to 20 GB (download) and 5 GB (upload)
- $20 per month for the first 6 months (regular price: $40 per month)
- Modem at only $125 or $25 with Fido Agreement (regular price: $325)

Shaw rules man... 8Mbps download speeds, unlimited usage, $37 a month, and $60 for the modem.

Originally posted by t3rry
Really, then how do I manage to download nearly 500mb a day? I'm connected to my VPN 24/7, and do a lot of work from home.

roopi
02-24-2004, 03:44 PM
The only reason I'm liking this is because of the wireless. If you can take your modem with you anywhere in the city it would be nice.

sputnik
02-24-2004, 03:47 PM

pull that figure out of your ass?

they email me when i hit 100gb in a month... then i lay low for a month and return to my standard downloading until they send me another passive-agressive email

t3rry
02-24-2004, 04:10 PM
shaw will let you get away with any downloading you want, but if you upload more than 1gb a month they scream. trust me i had my account canceled by them for it

sputnik
02-24-2004, 04:18 PM
shaw will let you get away with any downloading you want, but if you upload more than 1gb a month they scream. trust me i had my account canceled by them for it

ive uploaded 2-3 gb over my VPN to work on a few occasions with shaw and they never cancelled my account...

i see little point in switching my internet over to a half rate cell phone company

rage2
02-24-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by roopi
The only reason I'm liking this is because of the wireless. If you can take your modem with you anywhere in the city it would be nice.
For some ppl, yea. I can't see myself disconnecting all my home computers to move it elsewhere for even a few hours. I need to be connected yo! :)

Originally posted by sputnik
ive uploaded 2-3 gb over my VPN to work on a few occasions with shaw and they never cancelled my account...
No doubt. God knows how many GB of videos I move each month from home after video editing.

The last 2 days, I've uploaded different versions of a 300gb video in various stages of editing 3 times. Common occurances.

If you run an FTP server 24/7, then you're an idiot, and deserve to be banned :).

gpomp
02-24-2004, 04:53 PM
I got kicked off Shaw for a week because I uploaded too much.

REFLUX
02-24-2004, 11:15 PM
It isn't just residential (as in competing directly with telus/shaw)???

I don't think municipal wireless internet is going to come out for a long time

roopi
02-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by REFLUX

It isn't just residential (as in competing directly with telus/shaw)???

I don't think municipal wireless internet is going to come out for a long time

K you lost me. :confused:

Why is it not competing directly with Shaw and Telus?

They already offer a service for GPRS access for wireless devices such as phones and laptops so I think this is to compete directly with Shaw and Telus.

On a side note it seems as though Fido is really going after Telus. First with CityFido phone service and now this.

CKY
02-25-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
I got kicked off Shaw for a week because I uploaded too much.

:werd: and the 20gigs doesnt seem like alot for a monthly dl (isnt that same as shaw's monthly limits rite now?!?!) and IMO the wireless modem might not be as convient as some of you might think

sputnik
02-25-2004, 08:16 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

t3rry
02-25-2004, 08:42 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

roopi
02-25-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by rage2

The last 2 days, I've uploaded different versions of a 300gb video in various stages of editing 3 times. Common occurances.

How long does it take to upload a 300gb video??? If you were doing this on a Shaw account I'm sure you will hear about it.

And for everyone else this wasn't meant to be a thread about Shaw vs. Telus vs. Fido. It's just good to see that there will be another provider sometime in the future and competition is good for consumers.

If you love to suck Shaw's dick and you're going cry because someone said they are going to switch to iFido then please don't post it here. :D (This isn't directed at anyone previous post just for future people posting in the thread.)

t3rry
02-25-2004, 09:17 AM
yea, right now i am with telus and i prefer them a million times over shaw, because telus doesn't give a crap what kinda bandwidth you use, unless you are in the top 100 uploaders in the province... (atleast thats what thier tech support guy told me)

rage2
02-25-2004, 09:58 AM
How long does it take to upload a 300gb video??? If you were doing this on a Shaw account I'm sure you will hear about it.
I dunno, I do it overnight before going to bed :). I'm guessing about 3 hours?

SunshineGirl
02-25-2004, 10:00 AM
go with telus....i tried shaw..too many problems...telus may be more expensive but for the quality its worth the money

jdmakkord
02-25-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by SunshineGirl
go with telus....i tried shaw..too many problems...telus may be more expensive but for the quality its worth the money

Blah blah blah blah
Beat the dead horse some more!
This isn't a debate about what isp is better!!!!!!!
Good for fido, also nice to see their share prices go up from .12 a share when I used to buy them to 20+! :banghead:

SunshineGirl
02-25-2004, 10:28 AM
too bad that their moblie phones still suck(fido)....no reception as soon as you go outside of your own communtiy

roopi
02-25-2004, 10:31 AM
too bad that their moblie phones still suck(fido)....no reception as soon as you go outside of your own communtiy

That doesn't mean they suck. Fido only covers major cities. Thats what they do!!!

Did you know when you are in the middle of the ocean Telus phones don't work. They sure do suck eh? :rolleyes:

SunshineGirl
02-25-2004, 10:36 AM
actually no i have a telus mobile phone and not once has my call been lost or been fuzzy.....with fido i had to like stand on a table or something high so i would get reception...so you mean if you are going camping and you bring your fido phone...you get no reception...what if theirs an emergency...isnt that what most people have cell phones for...incase they have an emergency?

roopi
02-25-2004, 10:42 AM
actually no i have a telus mobile phone and not once has my call been lost or been fuzzy.....with fido i had to like stand on a table or something high so i would get reception...so you mean if you are going camping and you bring your fido phone...you get no reception...what if theirs an emergency...isnt that what most people have cell phones for...incase they have an emergency?

Well when you sign up for cellular service you normally look at their coverage area. It's not like they tell you they have coverage in the mountains when they don't. The map clearly shows the areas they cover. Also Fido uses Telus analog coverage so if you had a GAIT phone it would work in the mountains while you were camping if a Telus phone worked there.

polaris
02-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Didnt this company called LOOK tried to launch the same service a few years back?

hjr
02-25-2004, 08:48 PM
actually no i have a telus mobile phone and not once has my call been lost or been fuzzy.....with fido i had to like stand on a table or something high so i would get reception...so you mean if you are going camping and you bring your fido phone...you get no reception...what if theirs an emergency...isnt that what most people have cell phones for...incase they have an emergency? in an emergency (when you dial 911) out of fido service area, the closest tower will pick it up, regardless of company.

m10-power
03-04-2004, 04:46 PM
Does anyone have 1X from Telus? I need internet access, can't get Telus ADSL, I have no Shaw cabling to my house. I would like to get mobile access with decent downloads most anyplace in Alberta. Seems like my best option, but its alot of scratch. I have a telus digital phone but it doesnt work for shit in the sticks.

Wondering how well it works?