PDA

View Full Version : Freeman on the Land Fallout - Carpenters in demand

whydontchathen
09-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Alrighty, this has been my hope for a few days now: that in the midst of all the serious shortage of qualified contractor/handymen in Calgary at present (for the volume of work that's out there), there might be someone or more tradespeople with the right skills and desire to come to the help of Rebekah Caverhill.

So I'm just putting it out there: any of you capable excellent woodworkers /carpenters/ tradespeople here at Beyond: do you want to spare some time to help RC get her duplex back into decent condition? Probably a few good men is all it would take to get this done expeditiously.

I expect she would be able to pay something for the work, I've never been in contact with her. Unfortunately I only have the desire to help her, but none of the skills.

Discuss.

Rat Fink
09-30-2013, 05:31 PM

whydontchathen
09-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Donate time to rebuild a persons investment property? Ya fuckin' right :rofl: I'm sure she'll have to pay unless there is some business out there that is going to use the situation as an advertising tactic and nothing more.

Did I say anything about donate? Read my post again. I think she knows that she's going to have to pay for the work, duh. And I'm sure she will.

What I was hoping for was for qualified, kind people to come forward and do the job. I think it's really really really hard to find the workers that will do the work, there's such a shortage in Calgary, made 1000 times worse now because of The Flood.

Rat Fink
09-30-2013, 05:41 PM

whydontchathen
09-30-2013, 05:48 PM
yep, you're right. :rolleyes:

ddduke
09-30-2013, 08:27 PM
If you haven't been in contact with her then how do you know she's looking to hire people? maybe she has a family that can do it or something?

I think there's something seriously wrong with you to just take it upon yourself to 'hire' people for a job that someone may or may not want/need.

whydontchathen
09-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Where does it say I want to hire somebody?

I am simply fishing to see if there's any interest by anyone here on Beyond besides me in extending some help to RC. So far there's been zilch, just replies from the comprehension-challenged.

Sugarphreak
10-01-2013, 07:19 AM

C_Dave45
10-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
She isn't the first person to get screwed by a renter you know :dunno:

There are countless instances where renters are either not paying on time or being disrespectful and asked to leave... and the trash the place on their way out. It is one of the risks that comes with being a land lord.

Aside from the media attention, I don't see how this is different than the other ~100 people that are dealing with a similar situation right now.

x2

I rented out the house my son now owns/lives in.
After spending thousands to renovate and make into a beautiful home, I had rented it out to a family from Ontario that were living in their van. "In From the Cold" helped them with a partial damage deposit and I tried to be a nice guy and give them a break. Gave them a bed for their kids, gave them some clothes, even a real nice bike for the 8 yr old boy. Within 6 months they absolutely trashed the newly renovated house. Stiffed me with over $2,000 in non-paid utility bills and left in the middle of the night. I spent probably $3,000 repairing the damages.

This lady...albeit went through a bit of hell and is out some money...is doing alright. A few grand in lost rent on a probably paid-for home...I don't see what the big deal is.

whydontchathen
10-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Well here's where I'm coming from: the big deal isn't the money.

It's the finding of the tradespeople that's the biggest hurdle, IMO. I have had to have work done to my ugly house and I know how hard, near impossible it is to find good tradespeople that are willing to take on small jobs, and do good work. It's a very difficult thing to do - find carpenters, tradespeople, tile installers, basement window cutters, window installers, fence post diggers, painters, re-modellers, roofers that don't give a dam anyway and will just do a shit job, scammers, opportunists, the list goes on. I advertized here for a handyman a while back, but had no takers, and I know some of you guys do amazing work on your own houses. I had a great handyman that went on to greener pastures, another one that wasn't just quite good enough, and that's just the way it goes.

RC has the money to pay for the repairs, it's the finding of good people that I was aiming for. I hope I've made it clear enough this time.

And I have surely given up this quest, so thanks for listening.

whydontchathen
10-01-2013, 02:14 PM
PS: and for those that perhaps can't read between the lines, here's what I was about:

Step One: see if there are any people here on B inclined to help someone and get paid at the same time. If there had been some interest, then I would have done

Step Two: approached RC to see if she was in need of good workers.

I never got past Step One.

Surely a lot of you have observed the shit quality of a lot of the work done in this fine city by don't give a fvck tradespeople?

revelations
10-01-2013, 03:12 PM
OP your thread title makes it sound like there is a bunch of "freemen" out there who are creating a demand for a shit ton of renos .....

Title maybe SHOULD have been:

One Freeman - one carpenter

Cos
10-01-2013, 04:46 PM

Tik-Tok
10-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by whydontchathen
PS: and for those that perhaps can't read between the lines, here's what I was about:

Step One: see if there are any people here on B inclined to help someone and get paid at the same time. If there had been some interest, then I would have done

Step Two: approached RC to see if she was in need of good workers.

I never got past Step One.

Surely a lot of you have observed the shit quality of a lot of the work done in this fine city by don't give a fvck tradespeople?

I think most people are confused as to why anyone would treat this one case as special, when landlords are getting ripped off all over the city on a daily basis? They also need quality contractors.

whydontchathen
10-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Really? That's interesting.

I guess I thought I was perceiving a lot of sympathy for her, based on the comments on news stories, what I was reading on line, etc.

I guess just 'cause I'm sympathetic to her, don't mean the Beyond ppl necessarily are.... That's fine, no biggie. She prob does have the help she needs. I hope.

As you were. ;)