PDA

View Full Version : Looking At Buying a House Built in 80's/90's

94boosted
10-01-2013, 08:33 AM
My wife and I are looking to buy a house and we're leaning towards Riverbend (proximity to work). Most of the houses we looked at were built in the late 80's or early 90's. My question is what do I have to look out for? We found one in particular (built 89) that we really like but the windows & furnace look original. The roofing, I couldn't get a close look, but from what I could tell the asphalt shingles looked to be in good shape.

Are these 20-25 year old houses right in that range were they need a lot of work? Anything that I need to pay special attention to?

TIA

PS: If we do decide to buy this one yes I will obviously be bringing in a home inspector.

ercchry
10-01-2013, 08:42 AM
its not a bad vintage of home IMO, no worries of aluminum wiring or asbestos... if things are nearing end of life its just more bartering power :thumbsup:

personally, if you like it... i'd haggle the lowest price, then get it inspected once you have the offer signed. then work them down at that point for the repairs... you can actually do it in such a way that its cash back on the deal and it can be deducted from your down payment

i'd highly recommend jordan for this if you havent contacted him yet. i know from personal experience he's pretty good at this type of thing

project240
10-01-2013, 08:47 AM
The 2 bigger things you already mentioned... Furnace and windows. Find out when roof was last replaced, nothing really specific that you wouldn't already look for.

I'd imagine that year house is built better than most homes today. Our 1977 home is built like a tank... 2x12 joists @ 16"oc, all 2x6 walls, 35 years old and not a squeak anywhere.

benyl
10-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Look for the gray waterlines. The Poly B is known for bursting. I have had first hand experience.

revelations
10-01-2013, 08:55 AM
We live in Riverbend, right next to QP and are looking to buy here in 6 months.

Things that most homes need replaced around here (if they are original):

- roof
- vinyl siding
- windows
- carpets
- exterior trim painting
- furnace

94boosted
10-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

personally, if you like it... i'd haggle the lowest price, then get it inspected once you have the offer signed. then work them down at that point for the repairs... you can actually do it in such a way that its cash back on the deal and it can be deducted from your down payment

That's sort of what our realtor suggested as well. However if the home inspector finds that the place needs (or will need in the near future) hypothetically 20K of work I doubt we'd be able to get that amount off as well.

Originally posted by benyl
Look for the gray waterlines. The Poly B is known for bursting. I have had first hand experience.

Gray waterlines where? If the Poly Barrier burst that would be massive, is that something inspectors can find?

Originally posted by revelations
We live in Riverbend, right next to QP and are looking to buy here in 6 months.

Things that most homes need replaced around here (if they are original):

- roof
- vinyl siding
- windows
- carpets
- exterior trim painting
- furnace

I've definitely already accounted for re-painting the exterior trim and replacing the flooring. As for the vinyl siding..... I thought that stuff lasted like 50 years.

ercchry
10-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

That's sort of what our realtor suggested as well. However if the home inspector finds that the place needs (or will need in the near future) hypothetically 20K of work I doubt we'd be able to get that amount off as well.

yes, but at that point you can still walk if you have your conditions wrote properly

Gray waterlines where? If the Poly Barrier burst that would be massive, is that something inspectors can find?

he is talking about this shit:

http://fyihomeinspections.ca/polybutylene-piping-poly-b/

94boosted
10-01-2013, 09:40 AM

Ooops, lol thanks for the clarification.

englishbob
10-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Houses in the 80's can still have asbestos in the sheet flooring, drywall mud, stucco and ceiling stipple.
Exact years I can't say but areas like Bonivista are rife with the products.

ercchry
10-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by englishbob
Houses in the 80's can still have asbestos in the sheet flooring, drywall mud, stucco and ceiling stipple.

there is always a chance i guess... but the ban was in 1978, so to still have leftover supplies 11 years later seems pretty low to me :dunno:

Sugarphreak
10-01-2013, 10:34 AM

benyl
10-01-2013, 10:38 AM

I am sure the problem is larger than he makes it out to be. My parents house has had pipes burst in 5 different locations in the last 10 years. It isn't like we reported to anyone. We wouldn't even know who to report it to. I am certain that we aren't alone.

Him stating that there have only been 4 in Alberta is a pretty big reach.

94boosted
10-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Doesn’t that area fall right under the aircraft departure/arrival path?

Not sure, how would I check?

My big concern was with flood areas but this place is outside of the flood zone & flood fringe.

ercchry
10-01-2013, 10:41 AM

hang out at the house for a whole day... well, outside. only real way to know. i have been searching on and off for a while now for a damn map of this. but no luck

Tik-Tok
10-01-2013, 11:04 AM

hang out at the house for a whole day... well, outside. only real way to know. i have been searching on and off for a while now for a damn map of this. but no luck

Just look at google maps, and line up the runways, lol.

It's definitely in the flight path, a friend owns there, and every time I'm over and in the yard, it's pretty constant. You do get used to it though.

94boosted
10-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Yup just google mapped it and sure enough it couldn't be more in line with the runways lol. I guess I'll have to spend a couple hours there one of these evenings to see how annoying it is and how frequent the planes are flying overhead. It's gota be ~30km to the airport from there so wouldn't the planes still be at a decently high altitude :dunno:

Xtrema
10-01-2013, 12:58 PM

I think you are most likely ok after 1985.

Xtrema
10-01-2013, 01:02 PM

You will hear it within 10km radius of Airport. I think only deep SE, west and deep NW can avoid plane noise.

The further, the less noise/frequency.

88CRX
10-01-2013, 01:15 PM
It's a bimg so just click to zoom in. The last contour line stretches into Riverbend.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/88crx/airport_regulations_NEF_MAP_zps15c8fe12.jpg

edit: go to this link and you should be able to zoom in

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/88crx/airport_regulations_NEF_MAP_zps15c8fe12.jpg~original

Neil4Speed
10-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by benyl

This, horrible stuff and very expensive/messy to replace.

Kloubek
10-01-2013, 01:38 PM
That's a very interesting map 88CRX - thank you.

I notice they even allocate for the new runway when it's open. Hopefully the flights on the new runway will ease the noise up in Kincora where I live. Even though we're outside the 25 (db, I assume) curve, it's still pretty loud sometimes.

Edit: For those who care, it looks like use of runway 10-22 (the one which runs nw to se) will be reduced once the new runway opens next year, and will be largely used in chinook situations where it makes landing/takeoffs safer. This means there should be noticable noise reductions in all the areas NW of the airport that run along Beddington.

The worst areas SE of the airport tend not to be residential, but despite the new runway being closer in proximity it should greatly reduce noise in areas like Castleridge due to modified flight paths.

Of course, this all means that communities North and South of the airport get the shitty end of the stick, with disruptive noise running from 17th SE all the way up to Airdrie in the north. Luckily, most of those areas appear to be industrial and commercial anyway.

englishbob
10-01-2013, 02:30 PM

there is always a chance i guess... but the ban was in 1978, so to still have leftover supplies 11 years later seems pretty low to me :dunno:
It was actually banned in 1980 and suppliers and contractors were proven to be stockpiling it and selling it for many years.
I'm in the asbestos removal business and undertake many many pre- renovation/demolition projects in houses as new as 86.

ercchry
10-01-2013, 02:34 PM
and this one was built in 89... so what is your argument exactly?

revelations
10-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Doesn’t that area fall right under the aircraft departure/arrival path?

It does but as time goes on more planes are required to pass more stringent noise regs.

Personally I dont even notice the aircraft - traffic makes a worse noise.

94boosted
10-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by revelations

It does but as time goes on more planes are required to pass more stringent noise regs.

Personally I dont even notice the aircraft - traffic makes a worse noise.

:werd: I'm in Elgin (McKenzie Towne) and I can't think of a worse sound than the constant noise from deerfoot.

asp integra
10-01-2013, 04:25 PM

Check for the main things like people have listed above. Chances are a house built in the 80s/90s has better bones and is more solid than one built now.

Tik-Tok
10-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Edit: For those who care, it looks like use of runway 11-29 (the one which runs nw to se) will be reduced once the new runway opens next year, and will be largely used in chinook situations where it makes landing/takeoffs safer. This means there should be noticable noise reductions in all the areas NW of the airport that run along Beddington.

Fixed, but really not many heavy aircraft currently use 11/29 unless they have to because of the winds. That being said, just a heads up, be prepared for a lot more noise next Saturday night (the 12th), as 16/34 is shutting down for mx for 12 hours, so they'll all the heavies will be using 11/29.

masoncgy
10-01-2013, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't worry so much about airport noise, unless you live in places like Falconridge/Temple or Mayland Heights, it's not really a big deal. The further away from the airport, the less intrusive the noise is, and Riverbend is quite a ways south.

I lived in Sandstone for years and once WestJet retired their old 737-200s, I hardly ever even noticed the aircraft flying overhead.

I'd be more concerned about the fact a 25 year old house is basically going to need everything replaced. Roof, windows & doors, furnace, siding... that's all going to be at the end of their shelf life. As mentioned, late 80s houses are filled with poly B water lines that can be a nightmare.

Bathrooms are going to be extremely dated, same with the kitchen cabinets and appliances. Then you'll have to update flooring, possibly casings, interior doors/bi-folds, etc. if you're looking to live in an updated house.

I would hope that at least some of this stuff has been updated, but if not, it's going to be a major renovation unless you're going for a retro look... lol.

speedog
10-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
You will hear it within 10km radius of Airport. I think only deep SE, west and deep NW can avoid plane noise.

The further, the less noise/frequency.
Not necessarily true - our house is about 2 miles WSW of the south end of the main N-S runway and we rarely hear any airport noise. About the only time we do is if there's a NE wind which isn't very often in Calgary.

revelations
10-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Just an FYI, Poly B pipes arent necessarily the end of the world, there are a few instances where they become a huge liability however:

a) used as main line feeder to home
b) are of the generation (second or first?) that uses PLASTIC clips to secure the ends together - the 3rd gen used COPPER clips and fittings and is far less likely to have issues (the pipe itself could have issues though).

94boosted
10-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy

I'd be more concerned about the fact a 25 year old house is basically going to need everything replaced. Roof, windows & doors, furnace, siding... that's all going to be at the end of their shelf life. As mentioned, late 80s houses are filled with poly B water lines that can be a nightmare.

Bathrooms are going to be extremely dated, same with the kitchen cabinets and appliances. Then you'll have to update flooring, possibly casings, interior doors/bi-folds, etc. if you're looking to live in an updated house.

I would hope that at least some of this stuff has been updated, but if not, it's going to be a major renovation unless you're going for a retro look... lol.

Some very good points. That's sort of what we're thinking. We don't mind doing some reno's on a place but if it needs extensive reno's we'd rather not.

Tik-Tok
10-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Find a 35 year old house, and you'll likely have none of those problems, as most of that will have been done already. Consider Fairview, Acadia, or Willowpark. Lots of homes that have been updated in the past decade, and if they haven't, they're pretty cheap and you could afford a major reno.

Also, the asbestos "threat" is highly sensationalized. The only people who get sick off it, are those who were exposed to the dust frequently. So unless your ceiling is falling down around you, you aren't getting exposed.

94boosted
10-02-2013, 12:31 PM
^ Acadia, Fairview, Willowpark, Maple Ridge and even Southwood are all on our list but we can't seem to find anything decent there. Most of the places that we/ve seen in those neighborhoods are small 900-1200sq.ft and 60's to 70's builds (40-50 years old).

englishbob
10-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
[
Also, the asbestos "threat" is highly sensationalized. The only people who get sick off it, are those who were exposed to the dust frequently. So unless your ceiling is falling down around you, you aren't getting exposed. [/B]

Really??? I'd love to see where you gleaned that 'fact' from.
Asbestosis and mesothelioma cases have been reported in people who've had minimal exposure (renovations etc) even the kids in the houses so the ceiling I agree would have to be falling down through negligence or on purpose.
Every week I see cases where sheet flooring which contains asbestos is removed with electric sanders or grinders and the airborne concentrations of asbestos exceed the OEL's dramatically.

Tik-Tok
10-02-2013, 12:46 PM

Really??? I'd love to see where you gleaned that 'fact' from.
Asbestosis and mesothelioma cases have been reported in people who've had minimal exposure (renovations etc) even the kids in the houses so the ceiling I agree would have to be falling down through negligence or on purpose.
Every week I see cases where sheet flooring which contains asbestos is removed with electric sanders or grinders and the airborne concentrations of asbestos exceed the OEL's dramatically.

I don't understand your post. You mock my "fact", but then agree with me that the asbestos has to be disturbed to be a problem?

thetransporter
10-02-2013, 11:57 PM
i cant speak for riverbend, but my friends home was built about 89/90 in Harvest Hills, its very solid, compared to what we have now...... Even those days men would put more pride into their work..........