PDA

View Full Version : left lane queue chumps

Pages : [1] 2

Buster
10-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Pet peeve: the dopes that line up in the left lane at a light with two lanes, because down the road the right lane ends.

Ok, I don't care if they do it, but don't be pissed when I drive up the right hand side. The goal here is to get as many people through the light as possible, not conform to some sort of retarded Canadian-esque sense of justice and fairness. If cars just slotted into the right or left lane as they approached and then merged when the lane ended smoothly, then more cars get through the light.

Instead these retards line up so only half the cars can get through the light before it turns red again. Sometimes they are stacked single-file 2 dozen deep. Screw those guys.

And screw the budget-baller in the old 760iL that honked at me when I cut him off to merge back in. Don't try to be a vigilante and squeeze me off the merge lane...one, it's illegal to do so, two it's dumb, three if you want to avoid me you're gonna have to either brake or get into oncoming traffic.

Here' an example at bow trail (if you are heading west).

http://goo.gl/maps/3tXCj

Lex350
10-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Oh man don't even get me started on this topic. I see it every day on Metis Trail.

:banghead:

never
10-01-2013, 12:13 PM
A good example is heading east on 22x at 6 St/Sherriff King St just before McLeod. Usually people are pretty chill there but sometimes you get a douchebag.

Buster
10-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by no|uno
A good example is heading east on 22x at 6 St/Sherriff King St just before McLeod. Usually people are pretty chill there but sometimes you get a douchebag.

You mean guys that try to be a hero and prevent you from merging back to the left>?

r3ccOs
10-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Buster
Pet peeve: the dopes that line up in the left lane at a light with two lanes, because down the road the right lane ends.

Ok, I don't care if they do it, but don't be pissed when I drive up the right hand side. The goal here is to get as many people through the light as possible, not conform to some sort of retarded Canadian-esque sense of justice and fairness. If cars just slotted into the right or left lane as they approached and then merged when the lane ended smoothly, then more cars get through the light.

Instead these retards line up so only half the cars can get through the light before it turns red again. Sometimes they are stacked single-file 2 dozen deep. Screw those guys.

And screw the budget-baller in the old 760iL that honked at me when I cut him off to merge back in. Don't try to be a vigilante and squeeze me off the merge lane...one, it's illegal to do so, two it's dumb, three if you want to avoid me you're gonna have to either brake or get into oncoming traffic.

Here' an example at bow trail (if you are heading west).

http://goo.gl/maps/3tXCj

merging is law, yes

but I am just going to assume, that cause you drive a CTS-V, that you are "quick" enough to warrant never having to ever ever hop into "correct" lane until you are well at the end, cause you know... your time is so much more important than everyone elses

which is the same as basically anyone who drives a BMW, Audi, or a full ton truck with nuts on the back

I know its an unwritten rule, but its like if you're in line at the movies, and another till opens up... and some tatted dbag and his 12 year old girlfriend who are 5-6 people behind you, jump and cut in front over to the line, even if the attendant says: "i'll help who's next in the line"

that's how people feel about it

r3ccOs
10-01-2013, 12:21 PM

You mean guys that try to be a hero and prevent you from merging back to the left>?

or you can wait for an opening, because its your own damn fault you came to a stop in a lane that ends :)

never
10-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Yep...those are the guys.

If I'm in my truck, I'm usually in the left lane (it's slow) and I don't have any problem letting people over...it's not like that one car is going to significantly change how much quicker you get anywhere.

It's also the same when you have a lane closure and everyone gets over early...way before the closure. So lane really backs up and the other is almost empty. Everyone should go right up to the lane closure and then alternate. Traffic will move way faster that way!

r3ccOs
10-01-2013, 12:28 PM

If I'm in my truck, I'm usually in the left lane (it's slow) and I don't have any problem letting people over...it's not like that one car is going to significantly change how much quicker you get anywhere.

It's also the same when you have a lane closure and everyone gets over early...way before the closure. So lane really backs up and the other is almost empty. Everyone should go right up to the lane closure and then alternate. Traffic will move way faster that way!

if its backed up and both lanes are filled, I usually let one or two cars go in front of me...

however I can't stand it when the car in front of me, lets like 10 cars go, cause they're apprehensive, and I also can't stand the dbags who you see were behind you, drive around to the front just to beat traffic by like 3-4 cars.

Buster
10-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

merging is law, yes

but I am just going to assume, that cause you drive a CTS-V, that you are "quick" enough to warrant never having to ever ever hop into "correct" lane until you are well at the end, cause you know... your time is so much more important than everyone elses

which is the same as basically anyone who drives a BMW, Audi, or a full ton truck with nuts on the back

I know its an unwritten rule, but its like if you're in line at the movies, and another till opens up... and some tatted dbag and his 12 year old girlfriend who are 5-6 people behind you, jump and cut in front over to the line, even if the attendant says: "i'll help who's next in the line"

that's how people feel about it

It's actually nothing like that.

and I don't really care how people feel about. People are mostly stupid. I'm merely complaining about people who rage and do stupid things when smart people like no|uno do the right/efficient thing. The public needs to realize that stacking in both lanes can be just as fair, as long as everyone agrees to do it.

And the benefit of a fast car helps only if you are first in line. Then the dumb dumbs making things inefficient by waiting in line just have to watch you go. (Which incidentally is highly efficient, since I'm clearing one entire car from the line by getting to the merge faster than everyone else. :devil: )

Buster
10-01-2013, 12:34 PM

if its backed up and both lanes are filled, I usually let one or two cars go in front of me...

however I can't stand it when the car in front of me, lets like 10 cars go, cause they're apprehensive, and I also can't stand the dbags who you see were behind you, drive around to the front just to beat traffic by like 3-4 cars.

I always try to zipper into traffic...which is the way that non-retards do it (as you point out). The only time I will continue around a vehicle that is merging into the left lane is if he is clearly doing it WAY ahead of what is necessary to make flow. If you do it right at the lane closure or the pylons, you are going to have to slow down to merge, which defeats the purpose.

(If I am in the left lane, I always let one car in, and expect the car behind him to slide in behind me. Alternating and whatnot.).

btimbit
10-01-2013, 12:38 PM
I usually am one of the guys waiting in the longer lane, since getting back over is always pretty difficult and you're viewed as a line jumper, sort of like r3cc0s said. I don't mind when others do it, usually let a car or 2 in, but I just simply can't be bothered to have to fight to get in like that

I've never experienced it in a rush hour situation though, so maybe I would use the right lane in heavier traffic

RickDaTuner
10-01-2013, 12:39 PM

In some parts of Europe its illegal to shoot down the right lane if there is a lane closur ahead.

If you really want to study traffic patterns, the two methods stated create traffic back up.
Ideally you would want there to be a a speed decreas 1.5-3kms before the section of construction, followed by signs indicting to alternate into the left/right lane while still moving, then block off the closed lane, everyone will get through at a reduced speed minus the stop go-stop go, whic is what happenes to let everyone in at the last minute.

In some places there is an advance green warning to let you now that the green light will come on so you can start accelerating at the immediate point it switches.

My pet peeve is left turning lanes, and how everyone waits that half a second for the car infront of them to go before they start rolling forward. A perfect example of this is the macleod to Glemore left turn lane.so many more cars could get through that light if people would start rolling with the car format of them instead of waiting.

I always start rolling when see the car infront of the one I waiting behind to go, makes it seem like my and the persons car front are attached.

Really though, I think there just needs to be better driver training here in Canada.

In Romania you have to take a 3 year driver course before you are licensed, and that includes skid pad and reaction /braking /turning training as well.

Traffic is all about flow management.

Buster
10-01-2013, 12:45 PM
you are describing a situation where a lane is closed in a free-flow section, like on deerfoot due to construction. (This could get handled better, too. They should have a big sign saying "merge left now" about 500 metres from the lane closure.)

But I'm describing situations where there is a traffic light involved, and the lane is more or less permanently closed. Why do you think the traffic engineers puts the merge on the other side of the light? So people would merge there....ensuring the maximum number of people get through the light.

heavyfuel
10-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Fuck that. Lane narrows, I'm in the other lane as soon as I see the lane narrows sign. No lights and sirens on your vehicle? WAIT YOUR FUCKIN TURN. Not my problem you're either blind and/or can't pay attention and see that the lane's narrowing or maybe don't know what a lane narrows sign means. When people try to pass me in a narrowing lane hell yeah I'm that asshole that'll either block off the whole lane and I definitely will not yield. Everybody in this God damned city thinks their time is more valuable then the next person's, newsflash, IT'S NOT. Any problems, I'm always up for a discussion at the next red light, my therapist says it's really not healthy to keep issues like this bottled up lol

Buster
10-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Fuck that. Lane narrows, I'm in the other lane as soon as I see the lane narrows sign. No lights and sirens on your vehicle? WAIT YOUR FUCKIN TURN. Not my problem you're either blind and/or can't pay attention and see that the lane's narrowing or maybe don't know what a lane narrows sign means. When people try to pass me in a narrowing lane hell yeah I'm that asshole that'llether block off the whole lane and I definitely will not yield. Everybody in this God damn city thinks their time is more valuable then the next person's, newsflash, IT'S NOT. Any problems, I'm always up for a discussion at the next red light, my therapist says it's really not healthy to keep issues like this bottled up lol

you're the one that inspired my thread title.

blitz
10-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Same thing on 10st NW where it crosses 16th ave (with the "successful" bike lane project.

People line up single file with the other lane open, and only half the number of people get through the light.

Doesn't bother me as it's like a free pass to the front of the line :)

Mibz
10-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Fuck that. Lane narrows, I'm in the other lane as soon as I see the lane narrows sign. No lights and sirens on your vehicle? WAIT YOUR FUCKIN TURN. Not my problem you're either blind and/or can't pay attention and see that the lane's narrowing or maybe don't know what a lane narrows sign means. When people try to pass me in a narrowing lane hell yeah I'm that asshole that'll either block off the whole lane and I definitely will not yield. Everybody in this God damned city thinks their time is more valuable then the next person's, newsflash, IT'S NOT. Any problems, I'm always up for a discussion at the next red light, my therapist says it's really not healthy to keep issues like this bottled up lol "Lane narrows" is not the same as "Lane ends".

Unless you drive a dualie.

carson blocks
10-01-2013, 03:36 PM
I also can't stand the dbags who you see were behind you, drive around to the front just to beat traffic by like 3-4 cars.

Word. If you were already in the correct lane behind me, then darted out in to a closing lane just to try and squeeze back in a few cars ahead of where you were, I'm blocking you.

Buster
10-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

Word. If you were already in the correct lane behind me, then darted out in to a closing lane just to try and squeeze back in a few cars ahead of where you were, I'm blocking you.

Even I think that's pretty dam shady.

lilmira
10-01-2013, 03:38 PM
It's not a simple black and white situation. There are times when I have no problem letting people in, there are times when I may make it a bit more difficult, then there are times when I don't care. Some people are too nice some people are jerks, what do you do? :dunno:

rage2
10-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Fuck that. Lane narrows, I'm in the other lane as soon as I see the lane narrows sign. No lights and sirens on your vehicle? WAIT YOUR FUCKIN TURN. Not my problem you're either blind and/or can't pay attention and see that the lane's narrowing or maybe don't know what a lane narrows sign means. When people try to pass me in a narrowing lane hell yeah I'm that asshole that'll either block off the whole lane and I definitely will not yield. Everybody in this God damned city thinks their time is more valuable then the next person's, newsflash, IT'S NOT. Any problems, I'm always up for a discussion at the next red light, my therapist says it's really not healthy to keep issues like this bottled up lol
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/how-to-zip-through-summertime-road-construction-1.1340869

Look, signs encouraging late zipper merges. Yes, that's how non retards do it. No offense, but only the retards don't understand that this is the most efficient method, and get their panties in a knot over the late mergers.

If I'm in the through lane, I let people in last minute. If I'm late merging in the lane about to end, you should do the same.

carson blocks
10-01-2013, 03:39 PM

For once, I don't think heavyfuel is an idiot. If the lane is closing, maintain speed and get over in good time, keeping speed and traffic flow up. Don't get over super early, just match your speed with the lane next to you and merge over before the lane ends, not that hard.

If you're driving behind people who manage to pull this off, then blast past them in the closing lane just to have to stop or almost stop and at the front of the line and force someone else to stop and let you in, you just fucked traffic flow and are an asshole, not a genius.

Edit: Zipper merging is the proper way to do it, but while keeping speed. Blasting to the front of the closed lane, stopping, and forcing your way in is a dick move.

ercchry
10-01-2013, 03:44 PM
if someone brakes to below the flow of traffic.... fuck them. they can stay over there for ever for all i care

Isaiah
10-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Heavyfuel: Buster clearly explained that the whole point of the closure being after the light is to increase the flow of traffic in each cycle. Imagine a 4 or 5 lane street downtown like 9th Avenue or 5th St; take the number of vehicles waiting at a red light during rush hour then imagine closing two lanes. You should realize that the number of vehicles waiting at that light would decrease and the remaining vehicles that would have been there are now further back by a block or more.

Why would you purposely impede the flow of traffic based on your assumption that the other drivers think they are more important than you, rather than accepting the fact that they are just more intuitive than you are and making better use of the available space? Drivers who behave as you have described are simply pretentious busybodies who impose their mistaken assumptions on others - increasing the length of everyone's commute time in the process.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
if someone brakes to below the flow of traffic.... fuck them. they can stay over there for ever for all i care

Same way for me, if its going to slow everyone down and they don't know what they are doing I don't generally make exceptions. Also if I leave a normal sized gap and they don't have skill to get in, I am not going to slow down to leave an enormous gap for them, ill just keep on motoring by and shake my head.

dirtsniffer
10-01-2013, 03:50 PM
I believe top gear covered this. the onyl way to make this work smoothly is to increaes the speed limit after the lane closure.

:burnout:
:burnout:

colinxx235
10-01-2013, 03:51 PM

Even I think that's pretty dam shady.

Nah, if you try to jump 3, 4, 8 cars or w/e by shooting down an open merge lane. Go fuck yourself.

People do this on deerfoot south before southland all the time.
Same with the people who are taking 17th west home and try to shoot down the 3rd lane and then cut off all the traffic before the lights at Sunterra.

Buster
10-01-2013, 03:55 PM

For once, I don't think heavyfuel is an idiot. If the lane is closing, maintain speed and get over in good time, keeping speed and traffic flow up. Don't get over super early, just match your speed with the lane next to you and merge over before the lane ends, not that hard.

If you're driving behind people who manage to pull this off, then blast past them in the closing lane just to have to stop or almost stop and at the front of the line and force someone else to stop and let you in, you just fucked traffic flow and are an asshole, not a genius.

Edit: Zipper merging is the proper way to do it, but while keeping speed. Blasting to the front of the closed lane, stopping, and forcing your way in is a dick move.

I should have clarified more. The main issue is locations where there is a light prior to the merge, or some other bottleneck obstruction.

It's unforgivably stupid to think that we should encourage people clogging up the bottle-neck (the light), in order to maintain an arbitrary sense of "fair". There are both fair AND efficient ways to get everyone through the main bottleneck (light) and still not have dumb assholes thinking that some retarded convention of lining up on the left is somehow more polite. If we just had a way for teaching people to stack both lanes, and then zipper, and that was the new convention, I swear that traffic in the city would improve materially.

Line up on the left all you want. I'm cool. Just don't block the traffic and rage when people think getting through the light is actually a good idea. The irony of today was that it was some flooring salesman in an old 760 (burgundy!!!) that decided to play gatekeeper to me today.

Buster
10-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

Nah, if you try to jump 3, 4, 8 cars or w/e by shooting down an open merge lane. Go fuck yourself.

People do this on deerfoot south before southland all the time.
Same with the people who are taking 17th west home and try to shoot down the 3rd lane and then cut off all the traffic before the lights at Sunterra.

Wrong (kinda) on the first.

Definitely wrong on the second.

The first you are wrong because how the hell do you decide whether people should merge right away or closer to the end of the merge? I say stack up the merge, and move over into traffic mostly late (depending on speed). Why not? Are the people on Deerfoot have some ticket that says "I'm already here, therefore I should be ahead of you"? You aren't making sense.

The Sunterra one is a bit tricky since, as this thread has show, people are retardedly inept at merging in zipper-fashion. But the bottleneck on 17th there is the light you are talking about, not the light right by Sunterra. So get as many people through that light as possible, not fewer. Get people through that light, zipper onto the main through lane for 17th, and then go. That lane clears itself by the people turning right up into whatever development that is. Why leave a whole lane empty when we can pile more people through the main bottleneck light?

carson blocks
10-01-2013, 04:02 PM

I should have clarified more. The main issue is locations where there is a light prior to the merge, or some other bottleneck obstruction.

Ok yeah that makes sense. Fill both lanes up to the light, then everyone takes off and merges. I was talking more about situations like the lane closure for the bridge construction that's on eastbound Memorial right now. People are generally merging effectively, then a couple dickheads blast past them right up to the construction barricade then come to a stop put their blinker on and force their way in. Those guys can fuck right off, I'll go out of my way to screw them over if I can.

Buster
10-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by rage2

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/how-to-zip-through-summertime-road-construction-1.1340869

Look, signs encouraging late zipper merges. Yes, that's how non retards do it. No offense, but only the retards don't understand that this is the most efficient method, and get their panties in a knot over the late mergers.

If I'm in the through lane, I let people in last minute. If I'm late merging in the lane about to end, you should do the same.

why didn't I just find an post that article to begin?

See? I am right, and those of you that are disagreeing me are wrong.

I love it when that happens. :)

Or at least these guys suggest that we should be doing this on deerfoot also...

carson blocks
10-01-2013, 04:08 PM

The first you are wrong because how the hell do you decide whether people should merge right away or closer to the end of the merge? I say stack up the merge, and move over into traffic mostly late (depending on speed). Why not? Are the people on Deerfoot have some ticket that says "I'm already here, therefore I should be ahead of you"? You aren't making sense.

Merging works best with both lanes matching speed and alternating cars with everyone letting one guy in. When the guy in front of you merges in, let one car pass and move over yourself. Don't speed up, rush past him, then slow down and force your way in to hopefully get in one car sooner. I'm not talking about moving over super early, just maybe not waiting until the last few feet, jamming on the brakes because you're now out of lane, then forcing your way over and fucking up traffic flow.

Buster
10-01-2013, 04:08 PM

Ok yeah that makes sense. Fill both lanes up to the light, then everyone takes off and merges. I was talking more about situations like the lane closure for the bridge construction that's on eastbound Memorial right now. People are generally merging effectively, then a couple dickheads blast past them right up to the construction barricade then come to a stop put their blinker on and force their way in. Those guys can fuck right off, I'll go out of my way to screw them over if I can.

I think the idea behind the zipper style of late merge is that

a) people need to do it at a location that allows them to maintain speed.

b) people need to be able to execute a proper at-speed lane change whilst there is relatively little room (as James mentioned)

c) the drivers already in the through lane need to understand this new, foreign, alien concept and not think they are entitle to the lane more than anyone else.

I'm not hopeful on humanity discovering the above any time soon.

Buster
10-01-2013, 04:09 PM

Merging works best with both lanes matching speed and alternating cars with everyone letting one guy in. When the guy in front of you merges in, let one car pass and move over yourself. Don't speed up, rush past him, then slow down and force your way in to hopefully get in one car sooner. I'm not talking about moving over super early, just maybe not waiting until the last few feet, jamming on the brakes because you're now out of lane, then forcing your way over and fucking up traffic flow.

Yup, I think we mostly agree, actually. I think the biggest problem with the Deerfoot/Southland stuff there is that traffic is almost stopped there. So it makes going to the end of the merge (while morally and efficiently correct), make you look like a dick. Whereas it's just a different arbitrary choice.

carson blocks
10-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by rage2

What's funny is that in their animations, the speed in the through lane appears to be faster and more constant in the early merge simulation than the late merge one which forces through lane traffic to slow down.

DubSport
10-01-2013, 04:29 PM
I am of the zipper camp.
May I add that being at the front of the right line at a stop light is a compulsory and mandatory drag race, no matter what POS you drive. :D

I don't know who you are, or what style of merging you do, but to me - when I am driving, everyone else on the road is a _complete idiot_.

Tik-Tok
10-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by DubSport
I am of the zipper camp.
May I add that being at the front of the right line at a stop light is a compulsory and mandatory drag race, no matter what POS you drive. :D

It's totally true, lol. Because even if the car beside you is faster, 99.99% of the time the person behind him isn't gunning it, so you can still move over with plenty of room.

LSChevelle
10-01-2013, 04:50 PM
^^ Haha, glad I'm not the only person who does that, I also size up the other car ahead of time! :thumbsup:

This thread is confusing, are people actually arguing that driving right up to a lane closure and stopping is more efficient than everyone merging into the lane ahead of time? Why do you think they give signs saying the lane ends ahead?

A good example of this is memorial right now. Everyone knows the left lane is closed, and has been closed for a while. There really is no excuse for trying to get into that lane and pass a few cars because when you attempt to merge at the very end you are slowing everyone down. Yes, I will be the guy to block you if you try and do that.

Tik-Tok
10-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by LSChevelle

This thread is confusing, are people actually arguing that driving right up to a lane closure and stopping is more efficient than everyone merging into the lane ahead of time? Why do you think they give signs saying the lane ends ahead?

No, it's when there's a set of lights, then AFTER the lights, the lane ends with a merge. Not a temporary construction lane closure.

Like southbound Blackfoot at Heritage Drive, or northbound Macleod at 61st.

colinxx235
10-01-2013, 04:54 PM
I wasn't saying anything wrong with using a merge lane.

My issue is if I'm sitting in the left lane of his bow trail reference (through the lights) and I see a guy 3-4, or 8 cars behind me suddenly go right shoot up the open merge and then try to come back into the left lane right infront of me or w/e.

That shit drives me nuts.

Also for the reference, I will race you at the light for the merge or at any stop sign. :rofl: :rofl: :burnout:

LSChevelle
10-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

No, it's when there's a set of lights, then AFTER the lights, the lane ends with a merge. Not a temporary construction lane closure.

Like southbound Blackfoot at Heritage Drive, or northbound Macleod at 61st.

Ah gotya, this is also assuming there is pretty much stop and go traffic too?

Buster
10-01-2013, 05:04 PM
I am of the zipper camp.

I don't know who you are, or what style of merging you do, but to me - when I am driving, everyone else on the road is a _complete idiot_.

This does bring out the inner douchebag in me.

Some guy was sitting at this exact light beside me a couple of months ago. He pulled up in a white C63, and refused to look at me. Haha. I'm sure if I was a civic or something, he would have been in douche-mode. But he didn't want to get spanked. ...at least I wanted to give the 10 cars behind us a show!

Buster
10-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by LSChevelle

Ah gotya, this is also assuming there is pretty much stop and go traffic too?

well, it's a light, so everyone is stopped. :)

LSChevelle
10-01-2013, 05:10 PM

well, it's a light, so everyone is stopped. :)

Lol I deserved that. :banghead:

Cash Money Hoes
10-01-2013, 05:25 PM
post removed

BerserkerCatSplat
10-01-2013, 06:15 PM

So true. If I ever get nailed with a traffic ticket, it's gonna be for that. :rofl:

englishbob
10-01-2013, 06:24 PM
If everyone knew how to merge properly it wouldn't be a fookin problem.
Letting your indicator flash once then trying to squeeze in a non existent gap is moronic not merging.

M.alex
10-01-2013, 06:24 PM

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

If you're too much of a pussy to merge when the lane comes to an end and need to merge as soon as you see the sign (indicating lane ends like fvcking 5 miles away sometimes), stop driving and getting in my way.

gpomp
10-01-2013, 07:45 PM
I drive up bow trail all the time and I'm usually in the right lane going through the lights. I've never had a problem with people letting me in after the light. Maybe it's the way you drive? :dunno:

heavyfuel
10-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

If you're too much of a pussy to merge when the lane comes to an end and need to merge as soon as you see the sign (indicating lane ends like fvcking 5 miles away sometimes), stop driving and getting in my way.

Okay, I'll merge just as some beamer driven by some elite SW person is passing on the right in an attempt to make it a point to get ahead of the big truck, you wanna rear end a possibly loaded garbage truck have at er lol unsafe lane change would be my fault and all but to ruin some suit guy's drive home, priceless.

Nah, I'll just stick to paying attention to road signs and blocking the lane lol hopefully I box you in one day haha

Sugarphreak
10-01-2013, 08:35 PM

Buster
10-01-2013, 08:40 PM
^ this guy didn't read the thread.

Sugarphreak
10-01-2013, 08:42 PM

Canucks3322
10-01-2013, 08:50 PM
What's technically correct (zipper) is not how Calgarians do it....when in Rome......why piss off the majority of Calgarians just to prove a point? OP, take a chill pill and just do what most other people do, who cares if you're technically correct, is it really worth it to get your panties in a knot? :dunno: :dunno:

D. Dub
10-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
What's technically correct (zipper) is not how Calgarians do it....when in Rome......why piss off the majority of Calgarians just to prove a point? OP, take a chill pill and just do what most other people do, who cares if you're technically correct, is it really worth it to get your panties in a knot? :dunno: :dunno:

So be a sheep even when all the other sheep are retarded?

Sugarphreak
10-01-2013, 09:09 PM

Isaiah
10-01-2013, 09:24 PM
If you can't change the sheep then you become a wolf.

colinxx235
10-01-2013, 09:36 PM
OP is a fucking douche. Pretty sure he has the black V that is always doing 100+ in 50/60 zones through the aspen/bow trail area. Probably why some guy didn't let him in this morning

Buster
10-01-2013, 09:45 PM
OP is a fucking douche. Pretty sure he has the black V that is always doing 100+ in 50/60 zones through the aspen/bow trail area. Probably why some guy didn't let him in this morning

Maybe?

I'm pretty selective about where i speed. Which zones?

lilmira
10-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Wherever the lane is about to end? :rofl:

Proyecto2000
10-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
Oh man don't even get me started on this topic. I see it every day on Metis Trail.

:banghead:

heh same here; every morning I come across the douches that fly by doing 80km/hr and squeeze in by the concrete barrier. If someone goes past the lane ends in X meter sign i'm not letting them in. I just spent 5 minutes to go from the country hills intersection to the lane ends sign. Why the hell cant you wait like everyone else or at least merge into the right lane at the first lane ends sign, instead of waiting for the lane to end.

G
10-01-2013, 10:50 PM
I can attest to the black CTSV with yellow brakes speeding and db driving down Bow.

120Comm
10-01-2013, 10:51 PM
it's not like that one car is going to significantly change how much quicker you get anywhere.

Here's the thing... the same argument could be used to the ones who charge down the closing lane and force their way in at (past) the last second.

While it's a legal lane, I don't care what you do. If you're beside me and signal, I let you in, that's the way it's supposed to work.

Someone mentioned Métis Trail. I take that route twice a day. There are two sections where it narrows from two lanes to one lane (in each direction), one going north, and one going south. The stop-and-go traffic at "rush hour" (which is pretty much from 7am to 9am and 4pm to 7pm, there) is directly caused by people driving past the point where merging is supposed to happen, and forcing their way in further up, typically going at a snail's pace, causing the traffic that did the right thing to come to a screeching halt in order to not run them over.

I will repeat: No problem with proper merging. But when you drive over the yellow line and along the shoulder another 200m to where you've got a cement barrier centimeters from your left fender and someone's car centimeters from your right fender, because you HAVE to get past as many cars as possible before you merge, that's just being a douchenozzle.

On that same section the other day, southbound, we were all stopped because some hero needed to force his way in, and a dirty grey 1980s Jetta came down the right shoulder at >70 km/h to bypass everybody, blasting his horn. Jesus fuck people, relax a little. You'll get where you're going eventually.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-02-2013, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by G
I can attest to the black CTSV with yellow brakes speeding and db driving down Bow.

His car does not have yellow calipers I don't think, but there is someone on here with a black V wagon and yellow calipers with a roof box.

austic
10-02-2013, 07:32 AM
have to agree with the OP much better to use both lanes signal zipper and go about your day. The mentality that this traffic lane belongs to me an i will defend it with my bumper is what leads to terrible drivers...

Buster
10-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by G

Could easily be me. I'm on Bow trail a lot (normally just way on the west end past Sarcee, I don't work downtown). Me driving like a db is not unheard of, certainly, but not the norm. So if you caught me in a rush...you might just have been stuck listening to the sweet sound of a downshifting LSA.

G
10-02-2013, 09:14 AM

...you might just have been stuck listening to the sweet sound of a downshifting LSA.

I actually didn't hear your LSA because my 6.2 V8 was too loud. To be honest I drive like a db too occasionally so no worries. I love being first in either lane at that Bow Trail 69 Street intersection but what I love the most is when I'm first in the left and the one car behind me decides to take the right lane :poosie:

heavyfuel
10-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Everybody who lives up that way somehow thinks they NEED to be first no matter what lol there will never be any zipper merging going on there so long as there will be an abundance of akin folk who all actually believe entirely and without a doubt that their time is more precious lol that's one of my favorite spots where to be a complete lane blocking/coal rolling asshole (depending what truck I'm driving) lol if I'm going through that light I'm in the left lane 1/2 way up the hill, I will yield to those who are not making it a point to get ahead of the big truck, everybody else with an issue, phone number's on the license plate, boss is standing by to tell you to fuck off lol sorry folks (well not really) but some people who live up there seem to need to be knocked down a few notches every now and again.

Proyecto2000
10-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000

heh same here; every morning I come across the douches that fly by doing 80km/hr and squeeze in by the concrete barrier. If someone goes past the lane ends in X meter sign i'm not letting them in. I just spent 5 minutes to go from the country hills intersection to the lane ends sign. Why the hell cant you wait like everyone else or at least merge into the right lane at the first lane ends sign, instead of waiting for the lane to end.

I had a great one today at 8:00am on Metis; a blonde older woman in a dark grey Kia Sorento or Rondo driving on the shoulder passing the people that were in the left lane trying to merge into the right lane. She managed to cut right by concrete barrier and get beside me; well I drove right beside her as she just about rubbed her drivers side into the barrier. Well the dumb broad went ballistic honking and the guy behind me didn't let her in either :clap:

Buster
10-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Everybody who lives up that way somehow thinks they NEED to be first no matter what lol there will never be any zipper merging going on there so long as there will be an abundance of akin folk who all actually believe entirely and without a doubt that their time is more precious lol that's one of my favorite spots where to be a complete lane blocking/coal rolling asshole (depending what truck I'm driving) lol if I'm going through that light I'm in the left lane 1/2 way up the hill, I will yield to those who are not making it a point to get ahead of the big truck, everybody else with an issue, phone number's on the license plate, boss is standing by to tell you to fuck off lol sorry folks (well not really) but some people who live up there seem to need to be knocked down a few notches every now and again.

This I can agree with....lol

Buster
10-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by G

I actually didn't hear your LSA because my 6.2 V8 was too loud. To be honest I drive like a db too occasionally so no worries. I love being first in either lane at that Bow Trail 69 Street intersection but what I love the most is when I'm first in the left and the one car behind me decides to take the right lane :poosie:

what do you drive?

colinxx235
10-02-2013, 09:32 AM
^

more than you can afford pal :rofl:

G
10-02-2013, 09:35 AM
I had a C63 but I sold it last month.

G
10-02-2013, 09:38 AM

I will not let anyone in who doesn't signal. If you signal I will let you in every time.

D. Dub
10-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by 120Comm

Here's the thing... the same argument could be used to the ones who charge down the closing lane and force their way in at (past) the last second.

That's true but you completely miss the most salient point. The purpose of zippering is to manage traffic more efficiently at a set of lights or construction site and have people filter by quicker without a single line of traffic that may affect other intersections. It uses the road space more efficiently. Here reread the link Rage posted http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/how-to-zip-through-summertime-road-construction-1.1340869

blitz
10-02-2013, 09:56 AM
^

Because 2012 CTS-V wagons are cheap? :dunno:

Tik-Tok
10-02-2013, 10:01 AM

LSChevelle
10-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000

I had a great one today at 8:00am on Metis; a blonde older woman in a dark grey Kia Sorento or Rondo driving on the shoulder passing the people that were in the left lane trying to merge into the right lane. She managed to cut right by concrete barrier and get beside me; well I drove right beside her as she just about rubbed her drivers side into the barrier. Well the dumb broad went ballistic honking and the guy behind me didn't let her in either :clap:

Hahah that's awesome.

Ugh last night I got onto crowchild going north from 33rd ave. I figured it would be fine since it was 6:45 at night, it was stop and go. :banghead:

To top it all off, there were people driving in the bus lane!! I don't think anything bothers me more than that. :eek:

Buster
10-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by G
I had a C63 but I sold it last month.

I love that motor. E63 wagon was my other option. Dang kids.

speedog
10-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by D. Dub
That's true but you completely miss the most salient point. The purpose of zippering is to manage traffic more efficiently at a set of lights or construction site and have people filter by quicker without a single line of traffic that may affect other intersections. It uses the road space more efficiently. Here reread the link Rage posted http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/how-to-zip-through-summertime-road-construction-1.1340869
I don't believe many on here will argue that zippering, if done properly, is a problem. The real issue is those few idiots out there that will always push everything to the limit - driving way past where the solid line ends one lane and continuing on in what is now an emergency lane and then expecting to be given some courtesy by other drivers who've followed the rules.

What we need is some of those stealthy automatic pop-up metal poles that will stop these idiots from going past a certain point - a couple thousand dollars damage from one offense should at least clue a few of them in. A warning sign first for the fools to let them know they need to get out of the emergency lane or there will be consequences.

Buster
10-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by speedog

I don't believe many on here will argue that zippering, if done properly, is a problem. The real issue is those few idiots out there that will always push everything to the limit - driving way past where the solid line ends one lane and continuing on in what is now an emergency lane and then expecting to be given some courtesy by other drivers who've followed the rules.

What we need is some of those stealthy automatic pop-up metal poles that will stop these idiots from going past a certain point - a couple thousand dollars damage from one offense should at least clue a few of them in. A warning sign first for the fools to let them know they need to get out of the emergency lane or there will be consequences.

I don't think anyone thinks those guys aren't idiots.

The problem is the people in the left lane who don't want to zipper, and deliberately block a guy who is trying to merge properly, with the flow of traffic...simply because he didn't line up in the left lane at the light like everyone else. You can end up on the emergency lane if someone forces you there, even if you have done nothing wrong.

Buster
10-02-2013, 10:18 AM
^

trolling is so 2002, maaaaaaan

speedog
10-02-2013, 10:23 AM
I don't think anyone thinks those guys aren't idiots.

The problem is the people in the left lane who don't want to zipper, and deliberately block a guy who is trying to merge properly, with the flow of traffic...simply because he didn't line up in the left lane at the light like everyone else. You can end up on the emergency lane if someone forces you there, even if you have done nothing wrong.
Like I said, "zippering, if done properly". Both affected lanes have a responsibility when it comes to proper zippering.

120Comm
10-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by speedog

Exactly. "Zippering", as you guys call it, or what I call "proper merging", is the sensible thing to do. What I was originally saying was that the argument that "one car won't make a difference" is just as easily applicable when the point is trying to be made one way (from the guy who wants to be ahead to the guy who he's passing) as the other (the guy who won't let the line-butter in).

For some reason today I chose Glenmore to Deerfoot and up instead of Stoney around from 16th. What a disaster that was. In between Centre Street and Deerfoot there were four collisions in the eastbound lanes of Glenmore and one in the westbound lanes. On the one that was in the left lane just before going under Blackfoot, there was no discernible damage, but both people were out of their vehicles walking back and forth and huffing and wringing hands. GTFO the road!

But anyway on the OP topic. After getting on Deerfoot NB, of course there were more crashes, so it was a parking lot. The lane from WB Glenmore to NB Deerfoot was trying to merge, and while one guy at the very end of the merge lane was still trying to get wedged in (because none of the dicks in the R lane of Deerfoot would let him in), another guy went past him on the right. So essentially they were two-wide on the shoulder going up Deerfoot. I think my cam probably caught a glimpse of it but I don't have time in the next couple days to do a download.

colinxx235
10-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by blitz

Because 2012 CTS-V wagons are cheap? :dunno:

No one takes a joke?

They cost a lost, but cheaply made... yes. lol

Trolling isn't 2002, it is all day errday buster. So I am assuming you are the wagon with the yellow calipers always screaming around bow/17th area? Not that I'm an angel on the road, but yah you push that thing a little hard in some areas.

Buster
10-02-2013, 10:58 AM

No one takes a joke?

Trolling isn't 2002, it is all day errday buster. So I am assuming you are the wagon with the yellow calipers always screaming around bow/17th area? Not that I'm an angel on the road, but yah you push that thing a little hard in some areas.

As I said...could easily be me. Depends on the day...but mostly depends on the intersection/location. Gotta be smart with your stupidity, ifyaknowwhatI'msayin'.

Two problems for me:

- the car accentuates drama with noise and blackness and yellowness...especially when it's getting the :whipped:

- it's recognizable. If I was driving one of the 100's of M3/C63 around this area, I'd blend in better, even when doing something less-than-grandmotherly.

Mibz
10-02-2013, 11:04 AM
No one takes a joke? It's a sad fucking day when FnF jokes start going over peoples' heads. Maybe I'll start a FnF appreciation meet at my place. You can have any beer you want, as long as it's a Corona. No busters.

colinxx235
10-02-2013, 11:05 AM
hahah yup, your car sticks out. Same with the s/c'd RS4 who lives just behind me. I'll have to give a nice wave or wink if I pull up beside you lol.

if you drive an S4, M3, C63, E63 etc you blend right in and no one would ever know.

or there is that yellow Camaro with the yellow rims and custom plate "725" that just punches it all up and down 69/17th area haha. He sticks out like a sore thumb

Buster
10-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
It's a sad fucking day when FnF jokes start going over peoples' heads. Maybe I'll start a FnF appreciation meet at my place. You can have any beer you want, as long as it's a Corona. No busters.

Guilty as charged I guess? :dunno:

Buster
10-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Ya, I've seen that yellow Camaro. It's hilarious. Whateva floats your boat.

When a non - C63 C-class pulls up, I usually do a double-take, and think "how quaint."

For the record, in 20 years of driving, I've been pulled-over/ticketed precisely once. In 1999. For a 75 in a 50 in my 1986 RX-7.

With the exception of a few areas that I know well, I am often the guy doing the speed-limit with people on my ass. (You'll almost never see me speeding on 17th). Even on Bow, I'll often have people riding my ass west of 69th, since I don't go 100 down that stretch. Down/up the hill to/from Sarcee gets me going, but that's a pretty darn safe stretch with no pedestrians and no cars turning onto the road.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-02-2013, 11:15 AM
It's a sad fucking day when FnF jokes start going over peoples' heads.

No kidding. Next thing you know, I'll make a VTEC KICKED IN joke and people will think I actually own a Honda.

Buster
10-02-2013, 11:16 AM
I'll have to give a nice wave or wink if I pull up beside you lol.

Do it. My kids will probably wave back...haha.

LSChevelle
10-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

No kidding. Next thing you know, I'll make a VTEC KICKED IN joke and people will think I actually own a Honda.

Careful, might blow the welds on the intake! :rofl:

Disoblige
10-02-2013, 11:20 AM

yo nutsack..

Buster
10-02-2013, 11:21 AM
It's a sad fucking day when FnF jokes start going over peoples' heads. Maybe I'll start a FnF appreciation meet at my place. You can have any beer you want, as long as it's a Corona. No busters.

goddamn it, I definitely did deserve a good shatting on for missing it.

DRjtYaZg2d0

Buster
10-02-2013, 11:23 AM
For the record, I was just curious whether the 6.2 was the GM variety or the Merc variety.

colinxx235
10-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Yellow Camaro was just revving at me last night on the 69th lights. I just laughed... no clue if his car is even fast. Wasn't going to bother.

I guess G did ditch his old avatar + the Mercedes reference in the "what I drive". I've just known for ages he had a C63. Not sure what he switched to now that he sold his though.

If you see a 2012 black evo with bronzey colored rims and an Asian driving in the aspen/bow area. Make sure to cut him off and flip the bird. He's a huge paul walker douche :rofl: :rofl:

Buster
10-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Is that you?

I don't really know my Evos that well, but I saw a nice MR recently, I think? Had nice LED tail-lights? Looked good.

ercchry
10-02-2013, 11:39 AM
colin has an s4 if i recall correctly

G
10-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Yellow Camaro was just revving at me last night on the 69th lights. I just laughed... no clue if his car is even fast. Wasn't going to bother.

I guess G did ditch his old avatar + the Mercedes reference in the "what I drive". I've just known for ages he had a C63. Not sure what he switched to now that he sold his though.

If you see a 2012 black evo with bronzey colored rims and an Asian driving in the aspen/bow area. Make sure to cut him off and flip the bird. He's a huge paul walker douche :rofl: :rofl:

Sold it because the C63 was getting pretty common and I got really good money for it. Waiting for my E550 Cab to come next month...probably won't be such a dick in a convertible for obvious reasons.