PDA

View Full Version : House Alarms

interlude
10-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Hey all,

What alarm companies are you currently using at your home? Can you post up the price and coverage you are currently paying for?

My wife and I bought a new house, we currently do not like the alarm company we are using (Reliance Protectron), but we are stuck under contract. Just looking at options to either keep the existing service for our townhouse (rental property) or move it and potentially increasing the contract length.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

fajita123
10-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Using Alarmforce. $25/mo for basic security (doors + motion). Only really using it because it was in the house when we purchased.

Really liked how Vivint looked, but couldn't justify the ~$50/mo. They do offer home automation though.

cidley69
10-02-2013, 06:36 PM
I'm in contract with ADT, but would never use them again.

Terrible customer service, and they keep creeping the charges up every few months.

ExtraSlow
10-02-2013, 07:08 PM
United has the cheapest monitoring as far as I know. I had then and had zero issues.

doomdealer
10-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Using SecurTek here (run by SaskTel). Monitoring fee is $25 per month for just the basic door + motion sensors.

We signed 2 years with them in order to get the equipment installed for free. After the contract expires, there's supposed to be a discount if we stayed with them for monitoring.

Like other posters have said, there are definitely options out there are are much cooler and more advanced. My coworker pays $50+ per month for his system, but it has:

- Monitor/Control system remotely over the net via a phone app

- GSM cellular backup

- fancy color LCD touch screen control panel

403ep3
10-03-2013, 02:53 PM
I went with ADT because my gf's mom has it and the service was good.

When I ordered it everything went well until we paid for all the equipment. We were supposed to get a key fob, but never got it. Countless emails and calls to our sales rep.. nothing. Phone calls to ADT..redirected..no answer.

We finally sent an angry email and finally got a reply/call back from a manager. Everything is good now.. funny thing is: our sales rep apparently doesn't work there anymore/got fired?

We pay $35 for window monitoring/keypads/key fob/smoke alarm

cet
10-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by doomdealer
Using SecurTek here (run by SaskTel). Monitoring fee is $25 per month for just the basic door + motion sensors.

We signed 2 years with them in order to get the equipment installed for free. After the contract expires, there's supposed to be a discount if we stayed with them for monitoring.

Like other posters have said, there are definitely options out there are are much cooler and more advanced. My coworker pays $50+ per month for his system, but it has:

- Monitor/Control system remotely over the net via a phone app

- GSM cellular backup

- fancy color LCD touch screen control panel

I use them as well and I'm pretty sure you could get all of that if you wanted.

npham
10-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Someone in another thread mentioned http://www.vivint.ca/

Looks pretty cool, and to arm your house from your phone is actually quite handy and the biggest selling feature for me. Going to check into this a bit more and I will report back.

fajita123
10-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by npham
Someone in another thread mentioned http://www.vivint.ca/

Looks pretty cool, and to arm your house from your phone is actually quite handy and the biggest selling feature for me. Going to check into this a bit more and I will report back.

If you do, ask them about reducing your home insurance rate. Apparently they're partnered with someone who will give greater than average discounts.

They couldn't, however, match Touchstone's rate for me.

R!zz0
10-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Reliance signed 2 years at $45/month. Everything controlled from my phone. So far i haven't had any problems with them. I have 2 boys one is 4 years old and he likes opening the doors. When he does, it makes noise so i love it.

dj_rice
10-07-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm with Vivint. I just have the Home Security package. $49/month. Two way voice is included

The ability to arm/disarm with my phone and get alerts/texts and emails anytime something happens as well as all equipment is wireless was the winner for me

So far they are great.

Customer service is top notch. You call them, they are SUPER nice and will give you anything you ask for.

The Home Automation package looks baller but my house isn't fancy and expensive enough to get it.

If anyone is signing up with Vivint, lemme know so we both can get referral credit if you sign up, I think its $100 off