PDA

View Full Version : Electrician On Beyond?

2BLUE
10-02-2013, 01:45 AM
Looking to replace my old breaker box in my house to a updated one with more breakers and more power!

I recently added another washer and dryer in the house and added it to the existing 240v plugin, well that doesn't work very well. lol

Plus you can't use both dryers at once lol

Cash Job would be good. :thumbsup:

Unknown303
10-02-2013, 02:49 AM
you're going to have to pull a permit for that.. And if you're increasing the panel size you would probably have to apply to get your service size increased as well.

mobius
10-02-2013, 06:04 AM
Even without looking looking at it, I can tell you that changing your service is a significant job. Like mentioned, it is going to require a permit and coordination with the supply authority, and is usually a full day's work to do properly. I would expect it to cost anywhere between $1500 - $4000.

In short, call some residential/commercial electrical companies and get some quotes. This is not something you want a hack to come and do on the side.

seer_claw
10-02-2013, 06:27 AM
Seeing how you did your gas line, why don't you just splice the dryer into another of the breakers. I'm sure you have enough spare power in one of them.

ExtraSlow
10-02-2013, 06:59 AM
I'll throw this in here. I'm looking for an electrician to diagnose a flikering problem I'm having with my under-cabinet lighting. It is not the bulbs.

Willing to pay with cash or credit, and I don't mind paying tax, lol.

Does Beyond have a trusted electrician who will take on smaller jobs?

cet
10-02-2013, 07:45 AM
A couple of years ago, when I started developing my basement I tried doing the same thing.

I had a 100 Amp panel and wanted to increase to a 200 Amp panel. I called Enmax and they said I had 200 to the house so there should be no problem upgrading it. I called a company to come do the work for me and they switched out my panel to a bigger one and ran a sub panel for me. It took them a complete day to do.

It turns out Enmax gave me and the electrical company the wrong information and I only had 100 Amp service to the house. To upgrade my service to 200 Amp was going to cost between $30,000 and $50,000.

AndyL
10-02-2013, 08:19 AM
We used to have the owner of Avalon electric here... I get the feeling he's been rather busy...

legendboy
10-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Does anyone know if a home owner can pull a permit for a job like this? Not an upgrade in service, just a larger panel.

I would tackle this myself if I needed to. I have completely rewired my garage including a full size panel 60a service, dug up my backyard new conduits 6/3 wire pulled from my house panel...etc.. Its not really hard just time consuming to make everything super neat and tidy.

Then just get an electrician in to inspect and sign off on the permit.

I'm not exactly sure but OP problem trying to run 2 dryers at the same time could be panel balance. You probably need to have each dryer on its own bus bar to make that work. So one breaker in the left row and the other in the right row

a social dsease
10-02-2013, 12:11 PM
I've got a close buddy who has his own electrical company, he would definitely be able to do something like this. Very trustworthy guy. I'm pretty sure he can pull permits for you. He's not a beyond sponsor so I won't post his info but pm me if you're interested.

2BLUE
10-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Well if its going to cost that much then I'll just put a bigger breaker box with more breakers.

Right now the box is full and really would like more space to separate things a little better. Specially since both dryers cant be on.

Do I have to pull a permit to leave the 100 but upgrade the panel???

Tik-Tok
10-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE

Technically you need a permit to change a wall socket.

You should just build your own panel, and put it beside your bbq/garage furnace gas line.

CapnCrunch
10-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

You should just build your own panel, and put it beside your bbq/garage furnace gas line.

I know for a fact that you can get an extra 50 amps by hooking up a 1/2 gas line to the existing panel.

Nufy
10-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
Well if its going to cost that much then I'll just put a bigger breaker box with more breakers.

Right now the box is full and really would like more space to separate things a little better. Specially since both dryers cant be on.

Leave the existing alone and put in a poni panel.

60A main off the existing to the poni panel.

Then tie in your new loads as required as long as they won't exceed the rating of the new panel.

Unknown303
10-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

That should fall under repairs so it shouldn't require a permit. And other changes or upgrades to electrical requires a permit. Removing, installing or modifying a circuit requires a permit.