PDA

View Full Version : Registry Question

2BLUE
10-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Usually when I buy a car, and DON'T want to get a carproof etc I will give the last 8 digits to the registry office just to make sure its active, rebuilt, non-repairable status and costs nothing.

Now I'm sitting down off canyon meadows area and the registry here wants $17.50 to do the same check.

Keep in mind there's no paper involved etc its just the agent saying yes or no whether its legally allowed on the road.

Am I missing something here? The registry in the NW has always let me know this info for free.

Is there spose to be a fee or free?

speedog
10-03-2013, 12:54 PM
If it's a VIN report, it would that many registries are charging for this. $23.50 at AMA, $23.50 at A Plus Registry, $22.45 at Shawnessy Registry.

dannie
10-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Technically, registries are not allowed to simply give the info. We are required to do a Vehicle Information Report. Our screen explicitly states that it is not for public information.

2BLUE
10-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by dannie
Technically, registries are not allowed to simply give the info. We are required to do a Vehicle Information Report. Our screen explicitly states that it is not for public information.

you can't say, yes its road legal or no its not? :dunno:

speedog
10-03-2013, 05:09 PM
In reality, what's $17.50 when compared to a vehicle purchase?

dannie
10-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE

you can't say, yes its road legal or no its not? :dunno:

Per policy, nope. It all has to do with FOIP crap. As soon as I go into a file of a vehicle, I need to have consent to be in that file from the owner. If I pull a VIR, I don't because I am not accessing personal information.

We used to do this all the time, however with the changes to FOIP, they tied our hands. Its bullshit if you ask me, but I'm not the one who makes the rules.

AndyL
10-03-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm confused.. So it's a FOIP issue if your not charging to access this information... But its fair game if your being paid...

Our tax dollars hard at work...

TomcoPDR
10-03-2013, 05:45 PM
What does FOIP stand for? Just curious thanks.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
What does FOIP stand for? Just curious thanks.

Isn't it Freedom of Information Practice or something?

schocker
10-03-2013, 05:53 PM
freedom of information and privacy act

dannie
10-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
I'm confused.. So it's a FOIP issue if your not charging to access this information... But its fair game if your being paid...

Our tax dollars hard at work...

Kind of. The clerk that is accessing the info to give a simple yes or no on a status of a vehicle is actually accessing the current owners personal file to do so. Which is a FOIP violation. However, if you request a VIR, the clerk uses your information and accesses your file. They then can enter in any VIN and without compromising the current owner info, print the report. (long winded and ass backwards system btw)

My opinion unfortunately doesn't count for shit like this. However, I agree with people. If all you want is a simple status, there should be a simpler way to obtain it without compromising other peoples information.

Canucks3322
10-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Im confused, a clerk once told me that all you have to do is look at the registration of the vehicle from the owner and if it says active, it's good, it's not a salvage or rebuild?!?!?!?!

AndyL
10-03-2013, 08:06 PM
not quite true - I've got the registration for my 4runner that was most definitely written off - and it still says active :) (Yes if I got a new one - it would say salvage).

This should really just be online, punch in the vin and at least have cars status come back; maybe even "last registered province" (remember getting burned on that one too - bought on an alberta registration, but last registered in BC - so OOP needed)

2BLUE
10-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Well then I must be lucky then.

I just give her the last 8 digits and that's it.

She says active, non repairable, out of province

I walk out and no cost.