PDA

View Full Version : RX-8...what can you tell me about this car?!!

surferbaby13
02-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Okay i am only on here to ask you guys about this car. Not to cause any trouble or anything. My friend wants to buy a fast car. He likes the WrX and the Rx8. Which one is better and why? He doesn't care about the price and i guess the wrx goes 0-60mph in 4.6 seconds....how does the Rx8 compare. We went to the dealership and they new nothing couldn't answer most of my friends questions. So i was hoping someone on here would know alot about this new car. And what you would suggest.
Thanx

1badPT
02-24-2004, 06:01 PM
If speed is important, go with the WRX. RX-8 has unimpressive power.

googe
02-24-2004, 06:01 PM
wrx does not go 0-60 in 4.6. the sti does though.
wrx is more like 5.6.

anyway, car-videos.com does a decent compare if all you care about is times.

id say wrx between those 2, but im kind of biased :)

he should just get a svt cobra.

ICEBERG
02-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Well, if he want's a fast car then WRX is the best choice. He should Test Drive both cars and make up his mind.

Did he go for a test drive yet? I could tell him WRX all day long but after a test drive he could walk out of the dealer with the RX8.

He should do some research. If he wants fast i think most people here will say WRX.

surferbaby13
02-24-2004, 06:09 PM
ok so the sti....whatever.......but the rx8 has 6 gears and it doesn't have a record of how fast this car goes...its undetermined. So give me tips as to why he shouldn't. He wants a fast, nice car, with back seats. because he does have a kid and wants to be able to take his kid in it. It has to be practical. But fast. I need some tips!!!

surferbaby13
02-24-2004, 06:11 PM
he drove the wrx.....and he likes it but he also loves the rx8. and the only way they will let him test drive it is if he brings both of his vehicles in. So he only had his car. But thats kind of a pain to have to bring both vehicles from red deer to test out a car.
so if the wrx is so great. Tell me why?
He asked me to look into it for him since the dealership was not helpful at all. So i thought of beyond.

1badPT
02-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Have a quick peep through this thread.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36750

I know someone personally who owned an RX-8 and they don't own it anymore if that's any indication of how much he liked his. I posted about it in that thread.

1badPT
02-24-2004, 06:15 PM
The dealership might not be helpful because the RX-8 is largely sold because of its engine. The only problem with the car though, is the engine. Its styling and interior are great but it just doesn't have the guts to back it up.

ICEBERG
02-24-2004, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by surferbaby13
[B] and the only way they will let him test drive it is if he brings both of his vehicles in. So he only had his car. But thats kind of a pain to have to bring both vehicles from red deer to test out a car.

I never heard of this before? I never had to bring both of my cars in to test drive any car. This must be new?
:dunno:

surferbaby13
02-24-2004, 06:21 PM
i was right there......thats what the guy said. I was surpirsed too... i could understand if it was a ferrari but its not.

surferbaby13
02-24-2004, 06:34 PM
ok thankyou for the tips and it was that easy. I guess its the sti......one other thing......do any of you suggest any other car, thats as fast or faster, that looks good and has back seats? Any ideas let me know......thankyou so much for the help. Very much appreciated.
Elise

angierideswitme
02-24-2004, 06:43 PM
SRT-4, fast, back seats, (4 doors) and it's cheap.

1badPT
02-24-2004, 06:44 PM
M3? :D

Benzo E Class? :D

That.Guy.S30
02-24-2004, 08:46 PM
if anythin i think the fact of the awd in the impreza is what gets ppl to buy them anyway. the wrx will be faster than the rx8. awd is great for winter driving so you dotn get stuck in your driveway or somethin like that. it all depends on preference. the rx-8 has a nice interior but the engine doesnt have enough go juice plus the wrx is bound to be cheaper

other cars g35x(all wheel driver version) g35, 350z, audi a4, bmw 330 the list goes on

Redlyne_mr2
02-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Elise if your buddy wants a fast car it's not the rx8. The rx8 is slow, bad on gas and ugly as hell. The Sti is a much more serious vehicle but isnt for everyone, its also more money than the rx8 as well

cbr600rr
02-24-2004, 10:35 PM
what's his price range?

I never heard of this 2 car thing either, but I heard that you had to put like a $1000 deposit or something, but that was when it first came out. I'm sure you should be able to test drive the Rx-8 by now. Maybe the salesperson didn't think your friend was serious about purchasing one.

Anyways, I say between the WRX and RX-8, go with the WRX for sure. RX-8 is garbage IMO. :barf:

Seanith
02-24-2004, 10:56 PM
STi!

Hakkola
02-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
If speed is important, go with the WRX. RX-8 has unimpressive power.

That's an understatement.

WRX is a way better car, awd good for off the line speed, who cares about winter driving, it's all about the tires, not the drivetrain.

?????
02-25-2004, 12:46 AM
she said price doesn't matter and that its the Sti not wrx

but yeah theres plenty of cars out there like thi_thi said and if price isn't an issue go for the m3 :D

^SkylinE^
02-25-2004, 12:47 AM
STI
Lots of power. Decent back seats for the kids! And AWD for these calgary winters!!!
I have driven my friends WRX and it was a Very nice car! And the STI is just a step up! STI gets my vote!
:thumbsup:

Khyron
02-25-2004, 02:05 AM
Goddamit where are you hosers getting these "lousy power" claims? ITS A DAMN ROTARY - you can't drive around at 2500 rpms and expect the same power. Top Gear track time was identical to the 350Z - one of the BEST track cars in its price range last time I checked. Argh. When the Elise (the Lotus, not surferbaby) gets here you'll probably bitch about that not having horse power as well.

Anyway, WRX wagon would be a great car that's also practical for day to day. I would get the RX8 but by the time you load her up it's over 45Gs.

Khyron

Hakkola
02-25-2004, 02:31 AM
Last gen Rx-7 isn't under powered, it's a rotary isn't it?

Rx-8 is good in the curves, from the sounds of it this guy wants straight line speed, so yes, for what he wants out of it, it does have lousy power. What's even worse is that they over rated the engine. :thumbsdow

The elise has a far better power to weight ratio than the rx8. Only reason why I'd rag on it is because I'm 6'2 and would never fit in it.

Rx8 in the straights would get eatin alive by most of the similar cars in it's price range.

1badPT
02-25-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Last gen Rx-7 isn't under powered, it's a rotary isn't it?
...snip
Rx8 in the straights would get eatin alive by most of the similar cars in it's price range.

It did in fact. There was a video floating around on the net a while back and I can't remember if it was before or after I joined these forums but it was a track day in japan and they were racing a miata, a Honda RSX (i'm guessing because there's no acura in japan), a skyline and the rx-8. The RX-8 didn't do well at all and it wasn't the driver's fault.

Khyron
02-25-2004, 02:40 AM
Ok, no one is saying the RX8 is a drag racer - but everytime I read/hear people talking about it, they make it sound like it's some gutless piece of shit - and I don't know why. Doesn't the RX8 make more power NA than the RX7 twin turbo? I think so and can't wait to see a turbo'd 8.

Khyron

1badPT
02-25-2004, 02:47 AM
I think it can make more hp, but that hp isn't available until like 9000 RPM or something, but no bottom end torque. The car gets a bad rep because mazda made the new engine sound like it would make the whole auto industry switch to rotary when in fact, every other manufacturer is breathing a sigh of releif that they didn't market that disaster. What would you expect the reaction be if this revolutionary new engine had less power than you advertised, was a pig on fuel and the end product simply didn't compare performance-wise to other cars in its price range?

C4S
02-25-2004, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
the only way they will let him test drive it is if he brings both of his vehicles in. So he only had his car. But thats kind of a pain to have to bring both vehicles from red deer to test out a car.

I never heard of this before? I never had to bring both of my cars in to test drive any car. This must be new?
:dunno:

I don't understand what he mean as well ..

Just go to a Mazda .. and try a RX-8 ! they got few in stock ! and always ask people for test driving ! :bigpimp:

Stratus_Power
02-25-2004, 03:36 AM
i personally like the Rx-8 alot. it isnt as bad on fuel as ppl say, its roughly the same as a WRX ( not the STi.. the STi is worst on fuel)
sure it doesnt have the hp or the toruqe, ( it was never meant to replace the RX-7) but it makes up for that in weight.

Front engine, rear wheel drive with LSD. all good

the price is pretty good too , RX8 starts from 37k, while the STi is 47k

Akagi Redsuns
02-25-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
snip........Doesn't the RX8 make more power NA than the RX7 twin turbo? I think so and can't wait to see a turbo'd 8.

Khyron

The RX-7 made 255HP, but more importantly the 13B-REW made more torque and had a wider powerband than the new 13B Renesis. The RX-8 was 250HP, but I think it's officially rated at 238HP now. A big oops by Mazda, not to mention fuel economy is still the pits, the same levels as the old 13B-REW.

snip.......track day in japan and they were racing a miata, a Honda RSX (i'm guessing because there's no acura in japan), a skyline and the rx-8. The RX-8 didn't do well at all and it wasn't the driver's fault.

Track day? No it was a Best Motoring video and I have seen the same one. I also saw another one that had the MazdaSpeed RX-8 and it beat a WRX, RSX Type-R and a S2000 among others. Not bad for a gutless NA rotary :)

///M3
02-25-2004, 02:24 PM
i heard the rx-8 was under powerd by lke 70hp!!:eek: 240hp was the power that mazda said. and a dyno on tv only showed 170hp, and this is the higher preformance model.:eek:

Akagi Redsuns
02-25-2004, 02:33 PM
The thing is those clowns on "Tuner Transformation" seems like they know nothing and I wouldn't put too much faith on thier dyno results.

The RX-8 has a reported problem in dynoing the car. This is related to the wheel sensors on the front wheels. Apparently you have to trick the computer into thinking the 2 front wheels are spinning along with the rear, otherwise it goes into a mild "limp" mode, causing low dyno numbers. And of course the stability and traction control on the car has to be turned off. Did the guys on that show do the above steps? Probably not.

^SkylinE^
02-25-2004, 02:35 PM
that 170Hp is due to when they dyno the car if the front wheels aren't spinning at the same speed as the rear the ECU reduces the output. To dyno it proerly the front wheels have to be movin. I have read more about this but forget the details. It does make around 240hp if dyno'd properly.

^SkylinE^
02-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Akagi Redsuns beat me to it!

1badPT
02-25-2004, 02:51 PM
Well my co-worker didn't call it gutless because of a dyno result - it was his observation simply from driving it. I dunno, I want to hear something positive about the car because it really is a sweet looking set of wheels. Hell I had that screensaver on my computer for months drooling over the car.

Just the negative reviews I've heard about the car, and my co-worker's experience suggests that this car should be re-engineered a bit.

rc2002
02-25-2004, 03:10 PM
Most manufacturers can't back up their claimed HP ratings anyway. Some give it at the wheel, others at the crank, etc., and it's never consistent.

I know a person who dynoed a 5th gen prelude, and it didn't get anywhere close to 200HP. In fact it was lower than 150!

sputnik
02-25-2004, 03:18 PM
IMHO the RX8 is quite ugly and has pretty poor engine specs

Akagi Redsuns
02-25-2004, 03:23 PM
snip........ I dunno, I want to hear something positive about the car because it really is a sweet looking set of wheels. ........snip

All the car needs is more power, just the Miata. The RX-8 reminds me of the Miata, great turn in, great cornering, great "feel". It does doesn't have the extra hummmph after you tackle a corner, or accelerating. I am not a fan of the styling, but I rather drive a ugly car that is fun as hell to drive, then drive a beautiful car but having no fun and being a chore to drive.

I do hope Mazda has something up thier sleeve regarding the power. I can't help but think how great this car would be with more cleaner classic styling and turbo 13B :drool:

Stratus_Power
02-25-2004, 04:06 PM

Just the negative reviews I've heard about the car, and my co-worker's experience suggests that this car should be re-engineered a bit.

I dont knowwhere you are finding these negative reviews, Car and Driver, Road & Tracks etc, even Top gear gave it a :thumbsup:

but I understand why your co-worker feels that its gutless. I've personalyl test drove the car myself, and it doesnt really give the sense of acceleration as a sport car should, its too smooth of a ride haha.

1badPT
02-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Yeah I should point out its not magazine reviews that I mean, its just general feedback I hear from other people who have driven the car. If you look through that thread I posted earlier many people said the same thing - lack of power and poor fuel efficiency. Given its price, you can find other cars that are more powerful and more efficient - the RX-8's main attraction for me is its styling both inside and out. I don't know if that would be enough to deal with its downsides though. If I could buy the shell and drop in another motor, I think it would be perfect :D

Perhaps a Chryco Turbo 2.4 *sigh* I'm so biased :tongue:

VWbloke
02-25-2004, 10:55 PM
If your friend doesn't care about price then I would recommend either the BMW M3 or an Audi S4 (which can be had as a wagon as well).