PDA

View Full Version : compensation for rear ended collision

hogujak
10-03-2013, 11:40 PM
I got rear ended last Sat while waiting at the yield sign. It's 100% other driver's fault.

My car is 5 month old 2013 pathfinder and the body shop estimated $6000 damage only for outside damage(the cost will increase as they didn't see the damage inside yet.)

And also, after the collision, my car shows weird electrical issues and rattling noise even from front dash.

Me and my wife are suffering neck and shoulder pain as well as blur eye sight and headache.

here is my question.

My insurance company(Intact) only wants to repair damage and wouldn't give me any compensation for my time and effort to fix the car and go to clinic and so on..

So annoying because my car is only 5 months old and will have an accident record.

What kind options do I have? and will lawyer take my case?

This is my first car accident and I am so frustrated as my insurance company doesn't really care..

hogujak
10-03-2013, 11:41 PM
I am in Alberta and missing work one week straight because of headache and blur eyesight...

G-ZUS
10-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by hogujak
I am in Alberta and missing work one week straight because of headache and blur eyesight...

Did you see a DR yet? If not, then what are you waiting for? Go see a DR then open a body injury claim

2.2vtec
10-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Get your treatment from their insurance until you feel better but I'm sure that the cap on soft tissue injury is now 4,700 in alberta.

mr2mike
10-04-2013, 07:57 AM
So you miss one week of work, work doesn't question you and say go to the doctor?
I have workplace nurses that would be stopping by my office and dragging me to a doctor.

Dude how fast did they hit you?

G-ZUS
10-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
Get your treatment from their insurance until you feel better but I'm sure that the cap on soft tissue injury is now 4,700 in alberta.

Your insurance covers your treatments up to 21 treatments. and the cap is $4504 for soft tissue

dirtsniffer
10-04-2013, 08:02 AM
My insurance company(Intact) only wants to repair damage and wouldn't give me any compensation for my time and effort to fix the car and go to clinic and so on..

So annoying because my car is only 5 months old and will have an accident record.

What kind options do I have? and will lawyer take my case?

This is my first car accident and I am so frustrated as my insurance company doesn't really care..

1. You should have opened a claim directly with the at fault party's provider.
2. No, they will not pay you to drive your car to the shop. Yes they will get you a rental for the period where you are without a car.
3. Missed a week of work for getting rear ended? the damage isn't very large, seems suspicious to the provider for sure. Especially after you asked them to compensate you for inconvenience. Go to the doctor, and open a claim. You'll probably only get physio, they will be very reluctant to pay you for missed work unless you went to a doctor before you did that and it was his request you stay home.
4. Just for my own curiosity, how did you get rear ended at a yield? Are you a nervous or new driver?

ExtraSlow
10-04-2013, 08:06 AM
You don't get any compensation for the hassle of getting all this work done or Dr Visits.

However, if you miss work and that reduces your paycheqe, you can get reimbursed for that.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago, both my wife and I missed work. She was paid hourly, so they copensated her for missed time, but because I was on salary, I did not get paid for that.

I urge you NOT to close the injury portion of your claim until you are 100% satisfied that your injuries are fully understood. There is no rush. The longer that drags out the better it is for you, leverage-wise.

As for the vehicle, unless you have one of the special "replacement cost" provisions on yoru insurance, I think all they have to do is fix it. The fact that it now shows a major repair on the title sucks, and does mean that it's worth less, btu I'm pretty sure you don't get compensation for that.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news man.

FraserB
10-04-2013, 08:21 AM
You can try to get diminished value, but it's not likely going to happen. You for sure won't get travel time to and from appointments and since you didn't go to the doctor before deciding by yourself not to work, you most likely won't see anything for that. They are under the obligation to fix the car and you, that's it.

And only $6,000 worth of damage that supposedly leaves you unable to work for a week and with ongoing head injuries seems odd. If you were hit that hard, you're a fool for not going to the hospital right then or a doctor right away.

hogujak
10-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

1. You should have opened a claim directly with the at fault party's provider.
2. No, they will not pay you to drive your car to the shop. Yes they will get you a rental for the period where you are without a car.
3. Missed a week of work for getting rear ended? the damage isn't very large, seems suspicious to the provider for sure. Especially after you asked them to compensate you for inconvenience. Go to the doctor, and open a claim. You'll probably only get physio, they will be very reluctant to pay you for missed work unless you went to a doctor before you did that and it was his request you stay home.
4. Just for my own curiosity, how did you get rear ended at a yield? Are you a nervous or new driver?

1. oh I didn't know that. Can I still do that?
3. I went to emergence right after collision because of neck pain. and visited family doctor and he told me not to work for a week. that's why I am taking a week off. Company will pay for missing work.
4. I was waiting in front of yield sign as there were car passing on the main road and the the guy who hit me. He was very reckless driver and he said he made another fatality car accident just few weeks ago.
No I am not a new driver and this is my first car accident in my life.

hogujak
10-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
You can try to get diminished value, but it's not likely going to happen. You for sure won't get travel time to and from appointments and since you didn't go to the doctor before deciding by yourself not to work, you most likely won't see anything for that. They are under the obligation to fix the car and you, that's it.

And only $6,000 worth of damage that supposedly leaves you unable to work for a week and with ongoing head injuries seems odd. If you were hit that hard, you're a fool for not going to the hospital right then or a doctor right away.

I was on the downhill and the pick up truck didn't hit the bumper he directly hit the rear tail gate. I assume that's why we got injured more. my car bumper still looks ok but the tail gate is damaged really bad.

dirtsniffer
10-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Yes you can, but it could be complicated if your provider has opened a claim already.

hogujak
10-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
So you miss one week of work, work doesn't question you and say go to the doctor?
I have workplace nurses that would be stopping by my office and dragging me to a doctor.

Dude how fast did they hit you?

My boss never question something related health and safety... and I have a doctor's note saying I need a minimum a week off. but he didn't even want to see it.

I think he was driving 50~60km and I was on the downhill. He directly hit the rear tail gate..

FraserB
10-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Since your employer is paying you for the time you are not at work, the insurance company sure won't pay you lol. Drs appts and stuff are your own time.

gretz
10-04-2013, 09:01 AM

I think he was driving 50~60km and I was on the downhill. He directly hit the rear tail gate..

50-60 and only 6K in damage? Were you stopped at the yield or did you pull the ol stop, start rolling, stop?

If I crashed into a 2013 vehicle at 50 - 60 km/h, I would bet I could cause more than $6000 in damages... pics of said damage?

hogujak
10-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by gretz

50-60 and only 6K in damage? Were you stopped at the yield or did you pull the ol stop, start rolling, stop?

If I crashed into a 2013 vehicle at 50 - 60 km/h, I would bet I could cause more than $6000 in damages... pics of said damage?

I dont know exactly how fast he drove.. I am not an accident expert..
I completely stopped at the sign. I will post pictures later today.

hogujak
10-04-2013, 09:18 AM
6k is a brief estimate. They gave me the quotation in 30 mins and told me that once they tear down damaged area completely they will know exact cost.

hurrdurr
10-04-2013, 09:28 AM
so upon getting rear ended the guy jumped out and let you know about a fatality he caused a couple weeks prior.

A+++ story

G-ZUS
10-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by hurrdurr
so upon getting rear ended the guy jumped out and let you know about a fatality he caused a couple weeks prior.

A+++ story

+1

http://eduncovered.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/cool-story-bro.jpg

Something doesn't add up

hogujak
10-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by hurrdurr

A+++ story

It was my first car accident and didnt know what to do and I asked him if it is his first accident and he told me his story.

hurrdurr
10-04-2013, 09:40 AM
LOL...

"ekcoose me sir i never had car accidents befoh, did you haves some befoh?"

"dont' worry about it lil buddy, i just killed someone last week, shit happens"

G-ZUS
10-04-2013, 09:44 AM
"How fast you going sir?"

"ughh I dunno"

"Well it is downhill, I estimate you hit me at 50-60 but I no exbert in calculate sbeed."

hurrdurr
10-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
"How fast you going sir?"

"ughh I dunno"

"Well it is downhill, I estimate you hit me at 50-60 but I no exbert in calculate sbeed."

Oh my Fuck :rofl:

dirtsniffer
10-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Apparently the trolls sleep in later.. Good morning

gretz
10-04-2013, 11:31 AM

I dont know exactly how fast he drove.. I am not an accident expert..
I completely stopped at the sign. I will post pictures later today.

Thought so lol...

hogujak
10-04-2013, 12:49 PM
I don't know why some people don't believe me but after the collision he told me about the fatal accident he caused. And he seemed that he worried more for that accident than this. And the reason why I assumed that he was driving 50~60km is that it was 60 km zone and I didn't hear tire squealing sound. I think he didn't even see us until he hit my car.

FraserB
10-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Just submit your statement to your insurance company and let them handle it. Since you didn't even know you could file a claim with the at fault party's company, most of what you try and do beyond providing your statement, the police report number and the information collected at the side of the road is probably more of a hinderance for them.

hogujak
10-04-2013, 12:58 PM
If I make you guys confused because of my broken English grammar, I apologize. I came to Canada 3 years ago :( and
Insurance things are really different..

guessboi
10-04-2013, 01:47 PM
BTW why don't you ask your insurance broker?

Xtrema
10-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Soft tissue injury is for per passenger in the vehicle. You and your wife means you can get ~$9K.

If your insurance company is fixing your car and give you a rental, that's all you get. You won't get extra for depreciation due to accident.

If you think there are related repairs needs to be done, make sure to let your adjuster know ASAP. He determines what get fixed or doesn't. My last accident, they screw up my front rim and tires and insurance is only going to replace 1 tire, I asked them to replace at least the pair if not all 4, they agreed to do the pair.

As let your insurance broker/case handler know what other costs incurred due to accident. If better to let them deal with it than trouble yourself.

hogujak
10-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by guessboi
BTW why don't you ask your insurance broker?

Of course I did.. He is just useless and I could barely contact him as he's not answering the phone. I will change insurance after everything is sorted out.

dj_rice
10-04-2013, 05:08 PM
This thread :thumbsup: :rofl: :rofl:

guessboi
10-04-2013, 05:21 PM

Of course I did.. He is just useless and I could barely contact him as he's not answering the phone. I will change insurance after everything is sorted out.

Nice. Good service you got there.
Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

snowcat
10-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
This thread :thumbsup: :rofl: :rofl:

You're laughing at a guy who was rear ended in his vehicle and is in pain because of it?

Good for you, jackass.

ExtraSlow
10-04-2013, 05:23 PM
at least he's not riding his street bike dangerously close to him while he crosses the street. That would be worse.

snowcat
10-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
at least he's not riding his street bike dangerously close to him while he jaywalks illegally across the street.

Fixed.

m10-power
10-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
at least he's not riding his street bike dangerously close to him while he crosses the street. That would be worse.

:rofl:

sr20s14zenki
10-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by snowcat

Fixed.

LOL you are so cute....you still think you are right. GOOD FOR YOU for standing up for your principals, despite the fact that nobody agrees with you.... (=

xnvy
10-04-2013, 07:01 PM
^He's kind of like James Stewart in a way. Except ol' Jaime stands up for his "business."

Back on topic. This thread has been pretty lol-worthy. :rofl:

snowcat
10-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

LOL you are so cute....you still think you are right. GOOD FOR YOU for standing up for your principals, despite the fact that nobody agrees with you.... (=

Thanks (=

amear
10-05-2013, 01:43 AM
OP, Totally irrelevant, but why if your post count so damn high?