PDA

View Full Version : Fast Set VS Regular Cement

Dave P
10-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Hey Beyond,

Building my first fence this weekend.

Would you use fast set cement over regular for the fence posts (6X6's)? 5 ft deep holes

I am liking the 2-3 hour set time (and thats being generous) over the 24 hours, but don't want to sacrafice strength.

Looking for some guidence.

Thanks,

Dave

Seth1968
10-04-2013, 11:31 AM
I used the fast set for my posts. Once I set the post in, I dropped some gravel on the cement, and used four bricks to hold the post plumb. I removed the bricks after 30 minutes and there was no post movement. Didn't have to worry about the wind moving the post or some kids knocking them over.

I'm just wondering if the fast set is more prone to cracking.

sxtasy
10-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Slow cured concrete is always the strongest, although for fence posts the difference is probably negligible. You should brace your posts plumb with 2x4's and stakes.

Seth1968
10-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
Slow cured concrete is always the strongest, although for fence posts the difference is probably negligible. You should brace your posts plumb with 2x4's and stakes.

Now that I've done some more "remembering", I didn't drop the post into the cement. I dropped the post into the center of the hole, surrounded the post with small gravel to a depth of about a foot, then poured in the concrete.

I didn't want to mess with stakes, and I had a bunch of those large concrete bricks with 2 holes in them. I made sure the post was plumb, put two bricks on opposite sides of the post, and the other two sat on top of the ends of the first two (on the opposite sides of course lol). I then doubled checked the plumb, walked away, got even more drunk (literally), and went on to the next hole.

Despite my intoxication, the posts are rock solid and straight.

AudiPWR
10-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Your pouring a fence post, not a footing for a high rise.. Use whatever cement mix you want, it's not going to matter..

EK69
10-04-2013, 03:40 PM
if you actually dig down 5 feet for the post holes, then it won't matter (its surrounded by dirt which will settle and compress onto the post and cement anyways, which will hold it secure... even if it does crack under ground)

if you were using it for a footing or the foundation i would stick with whats been tried and tested

Unknown303
10-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
Your pouring a fence post, not a footing for a high rise.. Use whatever cement mix you want, it's not going to matter..

:werd: The difference in strength is not going to matter in the slightest for a fence post.

englishbob
10-04-2013, 03:49 PM
I used a specific fence post fast set that you pour in the hole dry,add water and agitate it with a piece of rebar or similar then leave it.
Nest day was as hard as 'concrete'.and the fence is still up 12 years later.

Dave P
10-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks Gang!

Dave P
10-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks Gang!

HomespunLobster
10-04-2013, 03:57 PM
BZm9RtDJvww

anyone use this before? Looks like it wouldn't hold as long as a post would.

EK69
10-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by englishbob
I used a specific fence post fast set that you pour in the hole dry,add water and agitate it with a piece of rebar or similar then leave it.
Nest day was as hard as 'concrete'.and the fence is still up 12 years later.
Same here
Can't remember what it was called though
Much cleaner than having to mix the concrete urself prior to pouring it in the hole

schurchill39
10-09-2013, 12:48 PM
I just built both my fence and my neighbors fence and used the regular concrete because it was significantly cheaper than the quick set stuff and for a fence post, as everyone else has stated, strength is negligible.