PDA

View Full Version : Chartered Accountant... What Next?

brokeass
10-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm always blown away by the different levels of professionals on this forum and I always like picking peoples brains. Figured I'd toss this add on here see what kind of response I get. Currently in my 4th year at a big four firm, UFE all passed and ready to make that long sought after jump to industry.

Anyone else gone through this too that can provide some advice of how they landed their industry job, do you enjoy it? what would you change? should I stay one more year and get manager behind my title? Just throwing this out there to see what kind of advice and experience I can draw off.

Thanks all

EK69
10-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Ur name better be misleading lol
That is all I have for this thread. :dunno:
Will read the responses given though

takinghits08
10-08-2013, 10:50 AM
It’s always the good old answer of it depends....

Ask yourself where you see yourself in 5 years. The fastest way to the c-suite is likely staying until you are Senior Manager.

If you can stomach 2 more years of firm life it is recommend you stay as you will learn a lot more information and will have more options available after you put in your time. Also note manager promotion is not always guaranteed so be ready to stay another year if necessary.

I left as soon as I got my hours. No major regrets....yet

:dunno:

Sugarphreak
10-08-2013, 11:38 AM

colinxx235
10-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by EK69
Ur name better be misleading lol
That is all I have for this thread. :dunno:
Will read the responses given though

oh his name isn't misleading. he is a brokeass with a shitty slow cavalier :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

go for the money Luke... be a whore! :D

brokeass
10-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Cavvy's Gone! Hello STI :)

Myrrinda
10-08-2013, 01:06 PM
All of the people I watched that left the firm to go into industry mostly got their jobs through networking and friendships with former coworkers. If any of the seniors or managers you've worked with in the past have openings at their new company, and they were impressed with your performance, you've already got a foot in the door.
Personally, I just went to a smaller firm. Way less overtime, and I never really leave the office. My biggest problem is that I loathe accounting and have to continually convince myself not to climb up to the roof and jump.

clem24
10-08-2013, 03:18 PM
I got mine at the same time as my first kid (my wife was due like 1 week after convocations LOL but she still managed my introduction). I was also in a small firm that required a lot of travel, so my boss basically 'fired' me hahaha. It was awesome cause he knew I couldn't travel with a kid and that I would probably end up in industry anyway so he let me choose. He's awesome.

Anyway, I got my job in management reporting through a small head hunter (PM me for his details), and still in the same job after all these years, so that worked out great.

If you want to move up FAST, look for small up and coming O&G companies and start ups. You'll work your ass off with long hours and shit but you can easily be senior accountant or controller in a few years tops.

Fuck the firm life man. I had a co-worker who stayed at KPMG way past her prime. She was a senior I think and after joining our company, she couldn't BELIEVE how much less work she had to do for WAY more pay and was kicking herself for staying. But then again, if you stay, then your goal obviously is to be become partner, where pay offs are huge and having living a normal life is nil hahaha.

I also loathe companies like Robert Half. Before my designation, I tried to get in with them and they completely ignored me. After my designation, they were calling and kissing my ass looking for my business. Fuck that shit.

Good luck man.

Chandler_Racing
10-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Staying in the firms for Manager or Senior Manager experience is something the firms sell but in reality it does not provide any benefit. The only reason to stay in the firms would be you have intentions of being a partner.

I typically exclude the big four Managers & Senior Managers when I've filled MFR, AC, etc roles as they have no real public company reporting experience.

I've found the best roles don't get advertised and are hired directly (networking, previous co-workers at firms, etc). The most successful people I know have left the firms and joined junior companies that are either public or have intentions to go public with strong growth prospects.

brokeass
10-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys! I'm glad to see everyone enjoyed there time articling as much as I did ;). I agree with the networking and agree with getting out unless you want your life wasted as partner. The firm sells you on staying till at least manager (to suck a couple more years out of you) and the recruiters sell you on getting out right away to get some real world experience.

Definitely helpful and if anyone is looking to pursue the CPA (since CA's are no more) route and ever needs advice feel free to pm me.