PDA

View Full Version : Condo Rules & Bicycles

msommers
10-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Even though condos say that you can't store your bike in your unit, does this have any legal backing? Surely people have expensive bikes and aren't going to leave them in a common storage area like a parkade or "designated bike area."

Am I out of touch or is this really that common?

kenny
10-07-2013, 11:29 PM
I've only seen rules where bicycles aren't allowed on balconies. Reason is to reduce theft and so it's not unsightly, but I've never seen condo rules where they aren't allowed inside units.

msommers
10-07-2013, 11:37 PM
That's my mindset but another friend has mentioned that his place has that rule too (which he doesn't follow). I've googled the issue and come up with a lot of posts but regarding downtown Toronto buildings. Additionally wear and tear in common areas like the hallway? What a load.

revelations
10-07-2013, 11:39 PM
I had the same issue with my condo so I bought a BBQ cover and made it look like one.

msommers
10-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Could you store the bike inside your unit without issue?

98type_r
10-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by msommers
That's my mindset but another friend has mentioned that his place has that rule too (which he doesn't follow). I've googled the issue and come up with a lot of posts but regarding downtown Toronto buildings. Additionally wear and tear in common areas like the hallway? What a load.

If that's the case, do they ban wheelchairs as well due to the additional wear and tear to common areas?

msommers
10-07-2013, 11:51 PM
That's exactly what someone brought up! Someone else mentioned he had problems with someone so they setup a trainer and said it's part of their exercise system (stories in Toronto). I'm sure there are ways around it if it really comes down to it. I'm just concerned if whoever is in charges gets pissy enough that they try to fine you or some bullshit.

bigboom
10-08-2013, 12:46 PM
I know some condo's have rules around bikes in elevators but for a full out ban in your own unit I have never heard of that. I've heard about no bikes in elevators and then a maximum number of times a year you can do it, i.e. once in the spring and once in the fall.

CapnCrunch
10-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by msommers

I could see people bringing in bikes with wet/muddy/snowy/slushy/dusty tires every day being undesireable.

Kloubek
10-08-2013, 04:12 PM
In my old apartment building back in BC they tried to put in an anti-bike bylaw. I was on the board and pointed out that the majority of our rather inexpensive unit building were lower income individuals who didn't have cars and/or were students who required transportation.

Luckily, I was able to veto the bylaw. But with that said, there was certainly decent reasoning behind it since there were obvious tire tracks through our halls. Not really sure how the tires managed to cause the damage that they did, but it cost us a lot of money to replace the carpets. (They tried cleaning more than once, which didn't work).

I'm not really certain how or if they could enforce what you were allowed to store in your own unit, but they certainly can enforce how common area is being used - which includes hallways.

ekguy
10-22-2013, 08:03 PM
most new bikes are light anyways and should be easy to keep off the floors in the main areas. I store all 4 of my bikes in my apt and not once has one touched the carpets anywhere other than in my apt. and then they are straight to the storage area.

also with the price of some bikes it's ridiculous for anyone to expect bikes to be left in common storage areas or parking areas...

i'd say don't bother checking the rules, just store your bike(s) where you feel they will be safest.

JustinMCS
10-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Some areas like BC and Ontario have Stratas, and they have a LOT of power. I was shocked when I was researching places in Vancouver.

Our building allows bikes on balconies, in units, or in the designated bike area in the underground heated parkade. All units have bikes in the garage, I have not seen on on a balcony in a long time. But, we don't have shared hallways, it's all separate exterior entrances.

Cos
10-22-2013, 08:42 PM

skandalouz_08
10-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Check out the balconies of other people in the building. There has to be at least one person storing their bike on the balcony which means they obviously went through their unit to get it there. I'd just do it until you get stopped. Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

msommers
10-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Yeah I'm just gonna store it in my laundry room and not give a shit haha