PDA

View Full Version : Car Accident - Insurance Options?

accordboi_02
10-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Hoping Beyond can help me out - was in a car accident (not my fault), and my car is close to being a write-off but insurance wants to repair.

Normally, I wouldn't have an issue with this, but this will be the 2nd major repair on my car in 2 years, so I am worried about the re-sale value of my car being severely hurt with a 2nd repair.

Do I have any option to get insurance to just write it off, or am I stuck with their decision?

spikerS
10-08-2013, 07:18 AM
you are stuck with their decision, unless you can demonstrate that your car is worth LESS than their current appraisal (or the repairs will cost more than the estimate), they will fix your car as that will be the cheaper option for them.

Masked Bandit
10-08-2013, 08:11 AM
You're pretty much stuck with their decision. The insurance company is paying the tab, they get to decide which way it goes. You're right about the dimished resale value though, I wouldn't buy a used car with two major accidents. You can try and discuss this angle with your adjuster but it's a hard battle to fight with most vehicles because it's so hard to quantify just how much you car has depreciated because of it.

96integra
10-08-2013, 09:57 AM
You could take the cash option instead of repairing it.

Or

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/local-company-says-albertans-involved-in-collisions-entitled-to-diminished-value-costs-1.1259442

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=327413

clem24
10-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by 96integra
You could take the cash option instead of repairing it.

And what, have even LESS cash and a useless car than just having it repaired and selling it? Makes sense. :rolleyes:

ga16i
10-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
You're pretty much stuck with their decision. The insurance company is paying the tab, they get to decide which way it goes.

Is this really true for all insurance companies? I know it's stupid to question you with regards to insurance, but in July when I had hail damage TD did give me an explicit option with a form to take cash instead of doing the repairs. Is that a per insurance company thing then?

96integra
10-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by clem24

And what, have even LESS cash and a useless car than just having it repaired and selling it? Makes sense. :rolleyes:

Obviously it all depends on how bad the damage is and how much the car is worth. I had my beater get into a couple accidents that was close to write off. Opted to take enough cash to buy my car 4 times over and still keep my beater.

If it's a newer car he's probably going to have to repair it.

spikerS
10-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by ga16i

Is this really true for all insurance companies? I know it's stupid to question you with regards to insurance, but in July when I had hail damage TD did give me an explicit option with a form to take cash instead of doing the repairs. Is that a per insurance company thing then?

You are taking what MB said out of context.

The insurance company gets the final say if they write off your car or not. You always have the decision of accepting cash in lieu of repairs, or taking it to a repair facility of your choice. If your repair facility says they can repair it 100% for $5000 and the insurance company says their regular crew can do it for $4000, the insurance company will negotiate with your shop, but usually won't pay out more than the $4000 and you would be on the hook for any overage.

ga16i
10-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by spikers

You are taking what MB said out of context.

The insurance company gets the final say if they write off your car or not. You always have the decision of accepting cash in lieu of repairs, or taking it to a repair facility of your choice. If your repair facility says they can repair it 100% for $5000 and the insurance company says their regular crew can do it for $4000, the insurance company will negotiate with your shop, but usually won't pay out more than the $4000 and you would be on the hook for any overage.

Ah, gotcha. Re-reading MB's post after your post made more sense. MB was only referring to the decision as to whether or not it's a write off and nothing to do with cash in lieu of repairs. Thanks!