PDA

View Full Version : Hockey skate buying guide?

sxtasy
10-08-2013, 08:51 PM
What are some things to look for when buying skates? What is a modest price range for an average skater that may want to play shinny every now and then? Where is a good place to go for purchasing skates, preferably someone who knows how to match your foot shape to the right skate?

Also, should a new pair of skates get baked? If so where to go, and best places for sharpening?

Thanks!

95EG6P
10-08-2013, 09:01 PM
As for skate sharpening I only go to done rite sports

Team_Mclaren
10-08-2013, 09:53 PM
PSS

swak
10-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Tuxedo gets ALL my hockey business.

The grom's they hire at the big box stores know F- all. I'd much rather support the guys who hire intelligent people who actually play, vs save a dime and get zero customer service.

My_name_is_Rob
10-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by y

What are some things to look for when buying skates?

Mainly a well fitting and comfortable skate. Depending on your playing style, also look at the skates protection. Bottom line skates are not as hard and don't offer the greatest protection for blocking shots. That being said, the price range you would like to stay within would also be something to keep in mind.

Originally posted by sxtasy

What is a modest price range for an average skater that may want to play shinny every now and then?

Usually anything within the $200 - $500 range is good for an intermediate player skate, meaning a little bit stiffer, more protection, and replaceable blades.

Where is a good place to go for purchasing skates, preferably someone who knows how to match your foot shape to the right skate?

As stated, any decent hockey store, usually the smaller ones would have the best service. The larger one usually have more options in store, but aren't the greatest sometimes for ensuring proper Fitment.

Also, should a new pair of skates get baked? If so where to go, and best places for sharpening?

Most of the new skates around the $300 And up mark have insoles that can be baked. Baking really only breaks in the skate faster than the traditional method. And allows a tighter and better fit earlier. Pretty much anywhere you can buy a bake-able will bake them right there for you, as it takes around 30-45 minutes to do properly.

Sharpening is usually hit or miss with some of the larger stores. Most of the time they can cut them to a certain radius, if you request it, but the they are usually done by somebody who is rushing, so it's always good to make sure they did an acceptable job before you leave the store.

adidas
10-09-2013, 10:45 AM
I had a fantastic experience with Professional Skates 2 weeks back. No pressure sales tactic, and really are after in getting you in an appropriate skate and most importantly size. Although I ended up purchasing my skates elsewhere, I would not hesitate to go back.

npham
10-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Another +1 for Professional Skate. It's pretty easy to drop $700+ on skates there.

sxtasy
10-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I ended up going to Tuxedo on centre street. They were very helpful and knowledgable. They baked and sharpened the skates free of charge right on the spot, the whole process took about 45min. They are also clearing out last years stock, so there are some decent deals to be had.

flipstah
10-09-2013, 03:04 PM
How do you know when you need to get your blades sharpened?

r3ccOs
10-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

lol when they're dull

I gauge it by feel... and there are ways you can tell under a light

but you can tell in a game when you're not gripping when digging a sharp turn, x-overs or backwards x-overs

personally I like sharp but not agressive cuts... I use 5/8's, but I'm also about 200 lbs

sxtasy
10-09-2013, 03:42 PM
I've also read you should run the top of your fingernail across the blade, if it scrapes off some of your nail, they are sharp.

Any suggestions on where to public skate? I've been going to westside, but its $13!

asp integra
10-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

I've also read you should run the top of your fingernail across the blade, if it scrapes off some of your nail, they are sharp.

Any suggestions on where to public skate? I've been going to westside, but its $13!

I look into a light and rub my thumb nail over the blade about an inch a part on each side from the tip to back and see how they look. as soon as little is coming off you know its time to sharpen. If i am playing in a league I usually go 3-5 ice times between sharpenings. if im at the ODR I can usually go about 5 times before a sharpen

asp integra
10-09-2013, 03:58 PM
OHH Yeah,

as for fitting, dont fit it like you would a shoe. skates are meant to be tight. I usually wear a 10.5 D in most foot wear and I wear a size 8 D in a skate. I size so that my toes are pressing on the end.

max_boost
10-09-2013, 04:39 PM
http://waymanservices.com/ has Graf skates on liquidation. There should be lots left.

$650 retail. 50% if you buy one pair. 60% if you buy two pairs so go with a friend.

I wear size 7-7.5shoes and wearing a size 6 skate.

Get them baked to help you break them in quicker.

I sharpen my skates when I start sliding all over the place.

Still a noob. Div 12 hockey. lol

r3ccOs
10-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
http://waymanservices.com/ has Graf skates on liquidation. There should be lots left.

$650 retail. 50% if you buy one pair. 60% if you buy two pairs so go with a friend.

I wear size 7-7.5shoes and wearing a size 6 skate.

Get them baked to help you break them in quicker.

I sharpen my skates when I start sliding all over the place.

Still a noob. Div 12 hockey. lol

nothing of decent quality in that lot though...

skates should fit, well fitted.
The boot should couple your your foot properly, and finding the proper fit is key.

I have a stange wide, and deep foot with a regular ankle, so I have to find E or wide boots from only RBK/CCM and Graf 709(s)
I will try the nexus out next, but $800 on a pair of skates, when I already have 2 decent other pairs isn't necessary as of yet.

better skates are typically stiffer and lighter, but not necessarily more durable

I have a pair of old RBK 8K's which are lasting way better than the higher end 9 and 11k's that I have and better than my U+CL

that being said, my old Graf 709's fitted like a glove, were heavy but were easily the most durable.

From what I understand, everyone seems to tell me the Supreme TotalONE NXG is pretty much the best boot in the market, and well... the APX2 and NXG follow suit with similar technology, but I think more people fit the TotalONE.

I am not impressed with RBK/CCM's offerings, so I'll probably wander away after I'm done with these ones.

I'd say a RBK 11k, which is similar to the now 20, will last me for probably 150 skates, before the boot becomes too mushy.

Kavy
10-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

nothing of decent quality in that lot though...

skates should fit, well fitted.
The boot should couple your your foot properly, and finding the proper fit is key.

I have a stange wide, and deep foot with a regular ankle, so I have to find E or wide boots from only RBK/CCM and Graf 709(s)
I will try the nexus out next, but $800 on a pair of skates, when I already have 2 decent other pairs isn't necessary as of yet.

better skates are typically stiffer and lighter, but not necessarily more durable

I have a pair of old RBK 8K's which are lasting way better than the higher end 9 and 11k's that I have and better than my U+CL

that being said, my old Graf 709's fitted like a glove, were heavy but were easily the most durable.

From what I understand, everyone seems to tell me the Supreme TotalONE NXG is pretty much the best boot in the market, and well... the APX2 and NXG follow suit with similar technology, but I think more people fit the TotalONE.

I am not impressed with RBK/CCM's offerings, so I'll probably wander away after I'm done with these ones.

I'd say a RBK 11k, which is similar to the now 20, will last me for probably 150 skates, before the boot becomes too mushy.

I run 20K's and it would be really hard for me to move elsewhere because the fit. I tried Graf's several times but the projected heel made me skate funny and although I felt I was faster I was less stable.

Going to check out a pair of TotalOne's.

Team_Mclaren
10-10-2013, 10:47 AM
20K's (RBK in general) have wider boots i was told. I have a pair of first geneation 9ks and they fit pretty nicely. Plus they have been pretty durable for me. Jumped to the new APX2 recently and it took months to break them in cause the boot is hard as fuck. Still have diffculty skating smoothly in them.

Anyone tried out the Makos? I tried them at PSS and they feel so nice. completely different feel to what I have skated on before. I just couldnt get over how fuckign ugly they look... lol

max_boost
10-10-2013, 04:08 PM
I really liked my 11K's. I bought them used so they were broken into. The Graf's I am slowly getting use to. Will keep playing with them to see how they go but I honestly bought them cause everyone was like Graf sale, 60% off etc. etc. :eek: :rofl:

colinxx235
10-10-2013, 04:13 PM
I have a wider foot also, so I made the switch from Vapors over to RBK 9K's. I love the skates. Treated me very well so far.

TYMSMNY
10-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I really liked my 11K's. I bought them used so they were broken into. The Graf's I am slowly getting use to. Will keep playing with them to see how they go but I honestly bought them cause everyone was like Graf sale, 60% off etc. etc. :eek: :rofl:

it'll help you build some muscles... down there... where your ankles are.

lasimmon
10-11-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bauer Vapors yet. I would never wear anything else.. Mind you I have only had 2 pairs of skates over the last like 10 years.

No other brands "feel" right on my feet if that makes any sense...

I have a wider foot also, so I made the switch from Vapors over to RBK 9K's. I love the skates. Treated me very well so far.

Odd I have wide feet as well and only wear the Vapors..

colinxx235
10-11-2013, 09:04 AM
^

Yah I had my Vapor 8's since high school (around when I stopped playing competitive hockey). And my feet may have grown a tiny tiny bit. But I found once I started playing again they were cutting off the circulation and killing my arch. Switched to the 9Ks in a D width and it fixed all my issues :dunno:

I still do really like the Vapors as a quality skate, I had two pairs while younger. My only other favorite skate were the Mission Flyweights, I miss those :(

I try to do most of my shopping at hockey for life on 130th or Tuxedo back in the day. I don't think there is a specific skate that will fit everyone or be "the best". Always a preference/shape thing.

r3ccOs
10-13-2013, 09:25 PM
at the end of the day, its all preference

Graf boots are pretty darn good, but have kinda shitty steel and runners

Tuuk runners/steel is awesome, and Bauer makes an awesome boot in the APX2 Vapors, TotalONE Supremes, and Nexus

I think that most of the technology that made the TotalONE/NXG so good is now both in the APX2 and Nexus, but fit different feet

Bauer/CCM had very similar boots in the CCM U+ series/RBK XK series, but now have changed it up a bit

RBK is still kinda the same, kinda Tack sizing.. the CCM are a bit more tapered now, more like a Graf 705

Easton, I have no idea what's going on... but I can't fit them at all... I used to have Synergy 1000's, then SE16s (which were too shallow) but now I can't even fit into the Mako boot. If you FIT, the technology seems sound.

most people who use the TotalONE seem to think that that boot has improved their game more than any other.

JRSC00LUDE
10-15-2013, 10:55 AM
I ended up getting a pair of Nexus Havoc's this season. I haven't bought new skates in over a decade so the difference is night and day. They feel like shoes they are so comfortable and my feet didn't hurt for even a minute, played three games now and absolutely love them.

bmeier
10-15-2013, 12:03 PM
i have been using graf 705 for the last 10 years. It was time for a new pair so i tried the Easton Mako, Bauer apx2 and a couple other for fit. Nothing fit me as well as the graf so i just bought the exact same model again, if they last 10 years like my last ones playing year round I will be happy...

the easton mako is really nice fit too but i was concerned with durability and they look super gay....

I have to say I am a huge Graf fan. The 700 series are insanely durable and long lasting.