PDA

View Full Version : Build over surface drain / swale?

ZeroGravity
10-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Quickly searching through the city by-laws, it only seems to say that if a fence needs to be built over a surface drain / swale, there must be at least 6" clearance.

I have one of these surface drain / swale at the far end of my backyard. Does anyone know if I can build a platform for a shed (provided I have 6" clearance) over that surface drain?

I suppose best is to call and ask, but I figure maybe a beyonder already has the answer :)

Thanks.

Tik-Tok
10-09-2013, 10:12 AM
I don't have a legal answer for you, but will say that if it were me, I would do it. Worst that can happen is that someone eventually finds out and tells you to move it. (You definitely want proper clearance though, otherwise the water may come up into the shed)

schocker
10-09-2013, 10:45 AM
No, you cannot even build anything near it.
See here:
http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Documents/Water-Documents/drainage_bylaw_brochure.pdf

ZeroGravity
10-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by schocker
No, you cannot even build anything near it.
See here:
http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Documents/Water-Documents/drainage_bylaw_brochure.pdf

Thanks! So building over it is definitely a no no.

The diagram said see details regarding how far away it needs to be, I suppose the details is in the full version of the city by-law document?

edit: I'm so blind... the detail diagram is right beside it... 1.2 meters on either side.

Sugarphreak
10-09-2013, 03:42 PM

BlackArcher101
10-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by ZeroGravity

Thanks! So building over it is definitely a no no.

That's not how I interpret the bylaw. To me it appears there's a "surface drainage facility" zone consisting of 1.2m on either side of the centerline and extending to 0.15m in height. The main reason for no footprints in this area is flooding, but yet they allow the fence bottom to be 0.15m above the drain bottom. A perpendicular fence would be the worst offender for causing /contributing to flooding, so I believe if they deem it to be acceptable for one to be installed, I don't see why a shed can't be so the bottom clearance of the structure is 0.15m.

Support posts is another question however. I would assume they don't want them in that area either, but the diagram shows a fence post within 1.2m. So who knows.

I'd call 311 if I were you. But like others have said, just do it, make it moveable in case someone complains.

JudasJimmy
10-09-2013, 08:42 PM
I didn't build over it, but I build up to it with the eves of a shed hanging over the swale.

I'm sure your neighbors could care less, but if you sell your house, you'll have to get a real property report done. The city will give a warning on the report and you may have to remove the shed or decking. The buyers also may ask you make the property city complying as well.

I didn't move my shed to comply with the city, and the buyers didn't care. Sold as is.

suntan
10-14-2013, 02:12 PM
They just wrote a note on mine stating that the city could demolish the structure (I have a patio near the swale) if necessary.