PDA

View Full Version : Legal traction control on the RB9 explained...

Sykes
10-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Very interesting theory and would be pretty ingenious. A hat tip to Red Bull for sure if it were true.

Racecar Engineering via Axis of Oversteer: (http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2013/10/so-how-is-red-bull-running-traction.html)

KERS has a defined amount of power it can store and discharge but there is no obligation on when to charge it so, the theory goes that Red Bull has figured out a way to use the charging phase to modulate output torque on corner exit. If this were controlled in response to wheelspin, it would be traction control and illegal. What Racecar Engineering is speculating is that it is controlled by sensors in the shocks: shock is compressed means more grip then you have full power, shock is extended then you might get less torque (because it's charging KERS) and less potential wheelspin. In effect a form of traction control which seems to be legal by the letter of the rules.

ExtremeSi
10-10-2013, 09:30 AM
I know it's just a theory, but it's stuff like this that just amazes me and shows how the top teams can stay on top. Even though the cars can appear pretty similar in engineering and design, there's all these little tricks. Love it.

Tomaz
10-10-2013, 09:34 AM
It would explain a lot.

Would also make sense if only Vettel's car had it too. Poor Webber :(

diamondedge
10-10-2013, 11:02 AM
I read about this in Racecar Engineering's interview about the RB9. Super tight lipped about it. KERS harvesting during acceleration at a defined, stepped rate would be in essence TC.

The grey legality points come into play is whether or not there is a closed-feedback loop varying the harvest/KERS during wheelspin. Another point to make is the KERS problems we hear Red Bull having during the races, perhaps all of these extra functions are causing those issues (but doesn't affect Caterham, for example)

phreezee
10-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Here's clip of Vettel's traction control in action from Singapore:

8DwXOPN7ZIM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2013/10/09/why-wont-red-bull-racing-share-its-secret-technology-with-mark-webber/

revelations
10-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi
I know it's just a theory, but it's stuff like this that just amazes me and shows how the top teams can stay on top. Even though the cars can appear pretty similar in engineering and design, there's all these little tricks. Love it.

:werd: Nothing like keeping the engineers and software people on their toes. They will bend any rule they can, short of breaking it, and come up with some awesome ideas.